Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Buffalo vs Lion in Kruger Park
Lens: 75-300 Camera: K10D Photo Location: Kruger Park, South Africa 
Posted By: GordonZA, 12-30-2011, 12:32 AM

Hi All,

This is not so much to show off any specific photographic skils but just to show an event.... the camera was set on the green modes....

Sarah and I went to the Kruger National Park for two weeks recently as part of our honeymoon.

We started in the north of the park for 3 nights at the Punda Maria camp. On the second day there we travelled up to the northern most picnic site, Pafuri, on the dirt road. At the first major water hole we were lucky enough to watch a battle as old as the hills play out in front of us!!

When we arrived at the water hole there were just a couple of birds around that we could see... then we noticed a herd of buffalo moving down to drink over to our right...
Next thing we hear a loud roar and male lion which we had not seen up until that point jumps up on one of the rocks over looking that part of the water hole!

At first there was huge panic in the herd with cows and calves scattering every which way... however about 15 seconds later all the bulls charged forward and chased the two male lions across the ground behind the dam and away from the water!

The following should speak for itself:

Amazing that the buffalo relaxed so quickly after the chase and went to drink, though you will notice one or two of the bulls are still keeping watch in the background!

Hope you enjoyed...

Cheers,
Gordon
Views: 1,432
12-30-2011, 02:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome specticle of nature. Looks like a experience that you will remember for a long time. I recall that buffalo don't ever go down lightly, and this sort of agressive behaviour towards lions is quite common.

Was it just the 2 males? From the manes, it looks like they were still on the young side.

BTW: congrates on the honeymoon. Hope it was a blast. Oh, and now you have made me very sad I don't live closer to KNP.
12-30-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
great shots...would love to be able to go there
12-30-2011, 03:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Green mode or not, great natural setting and subject.

12-30-2011, 05:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Guys!

I have been going to this reserve for 20 years and never seen buffalo chase Lion off... we got to see it twice in one day... first at this waterhole where we could only see the two male lion and then again about 20km further north... but I could not get any pictures there as the panicked buffalo started running towards the car so I had to get out of there fast!

My wife and I will always remember this one!!

milesy, not sure where you are from (just seen you're from Aussie... lots of your countrymen in the park this time!!) but the accommodation in the park is around US$75 per day (though if you are a foreigner then they charge daily conservation fees that are a bit higher, so probably around US$100 per day including accommodation but excluding food and car hire)

You should have a look at their website (with permission from Adam!): South Africa National Parks - SANParks - Official Website - Accommodation, Activities, Prices, Reservations then search for Kruger...
12-30-2011, 05:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting place to be and captured those wild life in real time. Nice images by the way.

marcus