Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A photographic introduction (auto related)
Posted By: Cmanuel, 12-25-2007, 01:49 PM

Hey everyone, My name is Chip, a 21 year old university student in South Carolina USA. Just figured I'd share some pictures i've taken over the last few years. Let me know what you think.

Views: 2,537
12-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums and hope you enjoy your time here.

And what a great first post; nice pictures. I especially like what you did with the second one, and the last one, well, I love the EVO.
12-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for the nice comments! I wish I had more time to devote to taking pictures. Between working and studying I have little time to do so

Gotta love the EVO though, wish I had the money to afford one
12-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Next to you guys, I'm wasting my time with a camera in hand. These are great shots and plenty of imagination.

With these nice shots you SHOULD devote more time to photography, it certainly won't be wasted.

12-26-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome Chip. You have a good eye and it appears the talent it takes to enjoy your Pentax camera. Can you tell me what Pentax you own now?
12-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Second and third shots are fantastic.
12-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

VERY nice pictures!! I love the Evo also.

Welcome to the forums.

12-27-2007, 06:51 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks again for the wonderful comments!

A little about the EVO shot: It was a super cold january night at about 2am. We were behind a local grocery store and found a huge puddle of water where it had just rained. Needless to say, the water was super cold, but I stood about 2 feet deep in it for that shot! Then the cops came, thinking we were vandalizing stuff and were so impressed by the pictures that they decided to stay and watch for a few minutes!

My gear currently is:

Pentax *ist DS acquired 2 years ago (can you believe I only have 2,000 shots on the body? shows you how much i get out and shoot )
Pentax 10-17 Fisheye
Sigma 105 macro
Tamron 28-75
Pentax 360FGZ flash w/ external flash accessories
Bogen tripod and ballhead

I'm hoping that the successor to the K10D will be announced before the DSLR Rebate ends. That way I can figure out if I'd like to go for the K10D while saving $100 or pony up for the "K20D". The *ist DS will be retired to backup duty.
12-27-2007, 07:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cmanuel Quote
Thanks again for the wonderful comments!

A little about the EVO shot: It was a super cold january night at about 2am. We were behind a local grocery store and found a huge puddle of water where it had just rained. Needless to say, the water was super cold, but I stood about 2 feet deep in it for that shot! Then the cops came, thinking we were vandalizing stuff and were so impressed by the pictures that they decided to stay and watch for a few minutes!
Would you please edumacate me. What is EVO?

Do you mean to say that the shot of the Mitsubishi was taken whilst you were two feet in water?

How did you get the colours on the second shot?

I repeat - they're ALL excellent shots.
12-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Would you please edumacate me. What is EVO?

Do you mean to say that the shot of the Mitsubishi was taken whilst you were two feet in water?

How did you get the colours on the second shot?

I repeat - they're ALL excellent shots.
The car in the water is a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII. Its a high performance model that is popular among enthusiasts. Because it is known as the Evolution, it is commonly referred to as an EVO here in the states (and probably elsewhere as well.)

And yup i was in about 1.5-2 ft of standing water when I took that shot. I've been accused of photoshopping the reflection onto the picture many times, but if you look closely at the front bumper you can actually see the point where the bumper is touching the water. Not that I'm accusing you of accusing me of photoshopping

The 2nd shop was taken in a Target parking lot. I took out my fisheye lens, set it at full wide and placed it on my tripod in the interior of the car. I set the camera for a 10s exposure I believe. I was actually behind the car, pushed it while my friend held the steering wheel at an angle, and remotely triggered the shutter when we got up to a slow and steady speed.
12-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for the explanation - now I know what an EVO is.

Not accusing of PS at all - if it was PShopped the reflection would have been exact. In this case it is obvious it is NOT. No matter which way I slice it - I can't imagine the 2 feet of water. You're in a back of a store, the car is NOT on a dock... sorry, but sometimes I need to understand things better in order to imagine what you went thru.

Thanks for the explanation of the second shot, I though you might have been sitting in the back, with the driver doing a donut.
12-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Thanks for the explanation - now I know what an EVO is.

Not accusing of PS at all - if it was PShopped the reflection would have been exact. In this case it is obvious it is NOT. No matter which way I slice it - I can't imagine the 2 feet of water. You're in a back of a store, the car is NOT on a dock... sorry, but sometimes I need to understand things better in order to imagine what you went thru.

Thanks for the explanation of the second shot, I though you might have been sitting in the back, with the driver doing a donut.
I've tried long exposure shots before with cars that are running, the engine vibration is just too much for the camera and you get a bad picture. Just about all the long exposure car shots you see out there where camera rigs are used are usually slowly pushed cars.

And yes, it was about 1-2 ft of standing water. If you saw the layout of the asphalt behind the store, you could easily see how it could happen with 3 days of steady rain. No need to argue about this, what's the point?
12-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice shots mate, that 2nd shot.. is that a long exposure at a traffic intersection with the engine cut off is it? its very effective mate.. i too, am a car enthusiast.. i used to be into the rice burners when i was a lil kid, but now im into v8 muscle. with that last shot.. u must have been standing pretty still for a while until the water ripples settled down.. its perfectly still...it must have been A fairly well lit up car park at 2am as you used a 16/10 second shutter and 200 ISO... very cool shot tho mate. so, good work!
12-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #14

Nice pics.

The one of the bikes racing is my favorite.
12-30-2007, 08:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

These are great shots and welcome. I love the incarr shot. Ihave to try this someday!!! welcome again your work is great so far. Lets see more.