Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A few hours in Labadee, Haiti
Lens: 18-135 Camera: K 5 
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 01-01-2012, 05:45 PM

A few more are here: Labadee, Haiti Photo Gallery by Heinrich Lohmann at pbase.com

Comments are always welcome and appreciated.
Views: 4,601
01-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Holy Cow, Heinrich. These shots are amazing - the first pics I've ever seen that truly show the scale of a big cruise ship. Colors are terrific and - as usual - super PP. BTW, did you have a chance to have a "cheese burger in paradise?"

Jer
01-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As Sailor said, these shots are amazing and wonderful!

It isn't immediately apparent how a ship that size can move into position on the dock, but they've done it. The colors are just beautiful.
01-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heinrich, great series and wonderful colors, I bet you were amazed at the difference in temps and humidity from Canada. Was there much security at your location in Haiti, it looks like an area that can be easily controlled. That last shot puts that ship in perspective. HUGE!!

01-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Fantastic colours, the third one is very striking.
01-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Holy Cow, Heinrich. These shots are amazing - the first pics I've ever seen that truly show the scale of a big cruise ship. Colors are terrific and - as usual - super PP. BTW, did you have a chance to have a "cheese burger in paradise?"

Jer
Thank you Jer for the kind words and no, "cheeseburger in paradise" never came up.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
As Sailor said, these shots are amazing and wonderful!

It isn't immediately apparent how a ship that size can move into position on the dock, but they've done it. The colors are just beautiful.
Thank you, it's appreciated and do take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Heinrich, great series and wonderful colors, I bet you were amazed at the difference in temps and humidity from Canada. Was there much security at your location in Haiti, it looks like an area that can be easily controlled. That last shot puts that ship in perspective. HUGE!!
Hi Bob and thank you. Haiti was nice for temps and humidity but Jamaica was brutal, I only lasted an hour or so on shore and went back on board. Labadee is privately owned, I don't know whether Caribbean Cruise owns it or leases it but they are the only ones there and have full control. Security on the ship was like airport security every time you re-boarded.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Quote
Fantastic colours, the third one is very striking.
Thank you Bruce, glad that you liked them.

Take care,
01-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've never taken a cruise---yet.I checked it out and on that ship the prices are all over the board depending where on the ship your cabin is and the time of year that you go.Where did you have to travel to board the ship?You've peaked my interest.---charliezap

01-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Charlie, homeport for the ship is Fort Lauderdale Florida and I believe that all cruises start from there, ours did.

Take care,
06-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #9
Forum Member

Nice shots of Labadee. I've been living in Port-au-Prince this past year and have fallen in love with this country. It's too bad that many people will be left content with visiting Labadee, and not explore the rest of the country. Haiti is extremely misunderstood. Western media portrays it as this horrible, terrifying dump of a country, when in fact it has so much beauty and is inhabited by such wonderful people. I have had no problems this year wandering around with my K-5 out snapping photos of all corners of the country. I only hope that people will start to see Haiti for its potential. In the next few decades I have no doubt that it will turn into the tourist hotspot it once was. In the meantime, if you're up for the adventure, come see Haiti before it happens because the Raw, untouched beauty is something really special.

Here are a couple of photos I have taken this year: