Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dec. 25th A great day to take pictures!
Posted By: codiac2600, 12-25-2007, 09:53 PM

Well, I spent the day with the family and we all took a long walk in the woods. I always take my camera with me and here is what I collected from today. Enjoy!

First my puppy playin in the snow and his little toes got a little cold so he got them off the ground.

Caught some life hit by a small bit of light coming through the trees.

You can't stop life!

Try is lanscape? Which do you prefer?

In the middle of the forest and some sign of civilization...

More light hitting the perfect spot.

Holy leaf?

Wasp nest?

Helicopters! And yes we used them.

Fun little leaf with some stuff on it...

Mmmm... get the grill, we gots Opossum!

Another massive hornets nest, but this one is intact!

I really want to know what this is because it is pretty sweet looking!

This little guy caught my attention out of nowhere.

Views: 2,748
12-26-2007, 12:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Great series, Chris.

The photographs depict the beauty and grace of Christmas.

The possum shot is my favorite.

The first shot is full of energy there.

Great shots all around

Merry Christmas
12-26-2007, 03:07 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I really want to know what this is because it is pretty sweet looking!

I believe it is Staghorn Sumac.
12-26-2007, 03:22 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Wow, nice shots.
I am sitting here, in Perth, after another 40+ degrees C day (it's 7:20PM and still 38 degrees) so your pics of snow are not only absolutely stunning (I like the portrait orientation of "you can't stop Life" by the way) but are of great comfort to a very sunburnt Aussie.

Merry Christmas.

12-26-2007, 03:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great series of shots Chris. I especially like the ones in the snow and their DOF.

Paul
12-26-2007, 07:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice group of shots, Chris. I hope you had a great holiday.

Jer
12-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Very nice series.

12-26-2007, 03:15 PM   #8

Great series. Number three really shines for me, as the portrait orientation exaggerates the narrow DOF. I also like the contrasty blue snow against the green of the sprout.

John
12-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Chris, that is one pudgy possum!! Enjoyed the shots - liked the "You can't stop life" one the best. Thanks for sharing (I used to live in IL so it's fun to see shots from there).
12-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series Chris. Those hornets nests are downright scary. Glad you found them in winter. It's rare to find one that big, but 2???

I'm with Jeff, what the heck is that thing? I prefer the pic above the "landscape" The dog shot is cool and funny. He looks like he's going to do a header!! We don't get possum in these parts but he looks like a big one. I hear they can be fierce when cornered.

Hope you enjoyed the walk. Sometimes it's nice just to put the camera down and take a deep breath.

Christmas day here was wash. Cold damp and some rain. Not the ideal day. But we're in for a foot of the white stuff tomorrow. Cleaning the sensor as we speak...

Falcons, I'd like to have a word with you after I shovel out the driveway tomorrow. That is if I can move my arms to type. You guys in AU are getting to me Kidding aside, we moan about winter around mid Feb but really wouldn't have it any other way. Having 4 such distinct seasons offers a new canvas almost every other day. Then there are the hoped for snow days (tomorrow - fingers crossed) when everything shuts down and you can skip work and go shooting guilt free.

Great stuff Chris!
12-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Great series, Chris.

The photographs depict the beauty and grace of Christmas.

The possum shot is my favorite.

The first shot is full of energy there.

Great shots all around

Merry Christmas
Thank you and I hope you had a Merry Christmas as well!

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote

I believe it is Staghorn Sumac.
Sweet, thank you Scott.

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Wow, nice shots.
I am sitting here, in Perth, after another 40+ degrees C day (it's 7:20PM and still 38 degrees) so your pics of snow are not only absolutely stunning (I like the portrait orientation of "you can't stop Life" by the way) but are of great comfort to a very sunburnt Aussie.

Merry Christmas.
Man, I could use some 40+ degrees C weather. I'll make sure to keep sending you some cold weather pics while it lasts.

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Great series of shots Chris. I especially like the ones in the snow and their DOF.

Paul
Why thank you Paul.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Very nice group of shots, Chris. I hope you had a great holiday.

Jer
I did and I hope you and yours had a wonderful time as well.
12-26-2007, 10:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Very nice series.
Why thank you and how's the weather on your side of the US?

QuoteOriginally posted by button Quote
Great series. Number three really shines for me, as the portrait orientation exaggerates the narrow DOF. I also like the contrasty blue snow against the green of the sprout.

John
Thanks John and I'm swinging towards the portrait as well; such a tough call.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Chris, that is one pudgy possum!! Enjoyed the shots - liked the "You can't stop life" one the best. Thanks for sharing (I used to live in IL so it's fun to see shots from there).
Yes it was, and was wondering if it could be a she and be pregnant. Anytime you want to come back up let me know

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Great series Chris. Those hornets nests are downright scary. Glad you found them in winter. It's rare to find one that big, but 2???

I'm with Jeff, what the heck is that thing? I prefer the pic above the "landscape" The dog shot is cool and funny. He looks like he's going to do a header!! We don't get possum in these parts but he looks like a big one. I hear they can be fierce when cornered.

Hope you enjoyed the walk. Sometimes it's nice just to put the camera down and take a deep breath.

Christmas day here was wash. Cold damp and some rain. Not the ideal day. But we're in for a foot of the white stuff tomorrow. Cleaning the sensor as we speak...

Falcons, I'd like to have a word with you after I shovel out the driveway tomorrow. That is if I can move my arms to type. You guys in AU are getting to me Kidding aside, we moan about winter around mid Feb but really wouldn't have it any other way. Having 4 such distinct seasons offers a new canvas almost every other day. Then there are the hoped for snow days (tomorrow - fingers crossed) when everything shuts down and you can skip work and go shooting guilt free.

Great stuff Chris!
Thank you Peter and the nests are pretty common out here and would have had a third if we started at the far path in the woods. We opted for the short route due to a second dinner, but we still got a lot of good shots before the sun set.

I hope you still had a great time with the family and remember, there is always something to take pictures of, unless you don't have a camera
12-26-2007, 11:30 PM   #13
mer

which lenses do you use ? the 50-135 ? the bohek is very good...

very nice pics btw.. bravo

I liked the second version of " you cant stop life " . The exposure is spot on , did you do +2 ev or did you get a meter from the seedling ? or did that in post .. hehe

have fun

Last edited by mer; 12-26-2007 at 11:40 PM.
12-27-2007, 06:56 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Thats a great series! For some reason I absolutely love the picture of the little leaf popping up out of the snow (the landscape version). My favorite of the series.
12-27-2007, 07:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=codiac2600;140302]Why thank you and how's the weather on your side of the US?

Not bad on this coast. Not to cold not to much snow in the past week. Today was rian and a sheet of ice. But it is New England, wait a few minutes it will change