Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Snowy Owls at Boundary Bay near Vancouver, BC.
Camera: K20D Photo Location: Boundary Bay near Vancouver, BC 
Posted By: kcmadr, 01-02-2012, 08:15 PM

Three days ago my lovely wife and I went down to Boundary Bay to view the snowy owls that come down every few years or so. We left without taking shots because of the bad photography light and after getting pushed out of the mud after being stuck in it.

We returned two days ago with better lighting and better moods and captured some shots. We saw 15 in total without counting too hard.

It was difficult with only 250mm as my farthest reach, so a bit of pp was required.

Views: 1,317
01-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good stuff! What makes them "come down" like that, they seem very out of their element.
01-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Awesome; thought about going down but it was a bit too far and I was feeling far too lazy today...

how much longer are they out for?
01-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots of these beautiful birds, what a privilege to see so many at one time.

01-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice images Michael, I'm envious haven never seen one in the wild. Thanks for posting them.
01-03-2012, 04:18 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots of extraordinary birds. I'm hoping we'll see some around here this winter.
01-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Nice looking owls and good shots Mike.---charliezap

01-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Good stuff! What makes them "come down" like that, they seem very out of their element.
Thanks.

I don't really know why they come down from the Arctic only once or twice every decade. Maybe it's because it gets way too cold for them up there, and they want a warmer winter. But I'm really pleased they did - last time they came to this area and were numerous and photographable was 1996. Not 100% sure though.
01-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Awesome; thought about going down but it was a bit too far and I was feeling far too lazy today...

how much longer are they out for?
Thanks!

I don't know how long they typically stick around for. Just a bit of the winter I would guess.
01-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Great shots of these beautiful birds, what a privilege to see so many at one time.
Thank you.

It is special, and after taking the pictures, I put my gear away and just enjoyed watching them walk around and preen and basically bask in the sunshine.
01-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very nice images Michael, I'm envious haven never seen one in the wild. Thanks for posting them.
Thanks. It's my pleasure to share these. They are beautiful birds, and I would expect your area to have some from time to time. Maybe their food source is extremely scarce in that region?
01-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Great shots of extraordinary birds. I'm hoping we'll see some around here this winter.
Thanks.

You never know. Form what I've read they travel south into the northern parts of the lower 48 as well. Speculation is that they follow their food source, so sightings might be patchy.
01-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice looking owls and good shots Mike.---charliezap
Thanks.

They are a real treat, and not just for photographers and birdwatchers, but the general public as well. They're a huge attraction.
01-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
Thanks.

I don't really know why they come down from the Arctic only once or twice every decade. Maybe it's because it gets way too cold for them up there, and they want a warmer winter. But I'm really pleased they did - last time they came to this area and were numerous and photographable was 1996. Not 100% sure though.
No, don't think the coldness of the winter affects them that way. I've heard biologist say that they migrate southward due to lack of food up north. They live on rodents....mice, voles, Lemmings....when the rodent population cycle is at it's lowest...they have to move in search for food.

We see Snowy White Owls on a fairly regular basis in Southern Manitoba.
01-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did a bunch of looking up on the 'net and found a website which states "These irruptions are believed to be related to the boom and bust cycles of lemmings, the Snowy Owl's main prey, and other factors such as weather." I'm pretty sure now that the weather has little or nothing to do with their presence here and the primary driver is their food source.

Beautiful creatures nonetheless, and a real privilege to see them.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
No, don't think the coldness of the winter affects them that way. I've heard biologist say that they migrate southward due to lack of food up north. They live on rodents....mice, voles, Lemmings....when the rodent population cycle is at it's lowest...they have to move in search for food.

We see Snowy White Owls on a fairly regular basis in Southern Manitoba.