Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A year-end visit to the river.....
Lens: DA* 50-135 & Sigma 10-20 Camera: K20D & K10D Photo Location: Taylors Falls, Mn - USA ISO: 400 
Posted By: UpNorth, 01-03-2012, 08:54 AM

I ended 2011 by taking one of my daughters and a friend of hers for a hike in Interstate State Park on Saturday. The unseasonably warm weather (upper 30's F) and lack of snow made hiking the trails pretty easy.

The Interstate Park area was formed hundreds of millions of years ago by lava flows. These hardened lava formations have been measured to be as much as 4 miles thick in this area. Erosion by what is now the St. Croix River cut through this rock over millions of years to form what we now see today.

The day was dark and gray, so not the best light for picture taking - but that didn't stop me from taking some anyway!

The cliffs are a favorite rock climbing spot during warmer weather. Here's my daughter and her friend are trying a little "free climbing" at one of the spots frequented by "real" climbers in warmer weather....

I'll put up a few more in another post shortly.
Thanks for looking.....

Tim
Views: 865
01-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing! You might have some material for this month's "Rivers and Lakes" contest here!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam.
I was thinking of maybe using one of these - But went with a Lake Superior shot from summer instead.....

Tim
01-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sure looks like you had a good hike and the pictures aren't bad either Thanks for posting them.

01-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tim, that sure is some beautiful country. I think the lighting you had on your hike gave the landscape/river a very nice feel to your photos. Is this near the area that has the frozen falls you photographed?
01-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Sure looks like you had a good hike and the pictures aren't bad either Thanks for posting them.
Thanks for commenting Heinrich. Yes - It was a very pleasant day, and I got some "quality time" (I hate that phrase) with one of my daughters and her friend.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Tim, that sure is some beautiful country. I think the lighting you had on your hike gave the landscape/river a very nice feel to your photos. Is this near the area that has the frozen falls you photographed?
You're right Bob - Another "wonder of nature" - not unlike the sunsets you've been getting the last month or two! This park is on the Wisconsin border, about 50 miles from the St Paul. (Interesting fact - The areas you see across the river in my shots is actually Wisconsin, while I'm standing in Minnesota. That area on the other side of the river is also a state park, and also named Interstate State Park. I guess back in the late '20's - early '30's, Minnesota and Wisconsin joined together in forming those two parks at the same time - becoming the first two states to work together in creating "cooperative" state parks that has one large area crossing two borders.)
Thanks for remembering my frozen falls shots. Those were actually taken at Minnehaha Falls - which is just a few miles south of downtown Minneapolis, and about 55 miles from Interstate Park. Minnehaha Creek eventually dumps into the Mississippi about a mile or so downstream from the falls, and the St Croix River eventually meets up with the Mississippi in southeastern Minnesota, so water from both places ends up together eventually!

Thanks for looking,

Tim
01-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like these Tim - especially 4 and 6. Shows that winter can yield some very nice stuff.

Jer

01-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I like these Tim - especially 4 and 6. Shows that winter can yield some very nice stuff.

Jer
Thanks Jer.
Yeah - If only I'd have had a little better light.
No, no, no - That's too much. Just a little less.
There - That's just about.......No, better bump it up a little.
Stop, stop. Right there. No, wait.....

Thanks for taking time to comment,

Tim
01-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It was really great seeing these. Thanks for sharing. I love the shot of your daughter and her friend climbing on the Rock face. That last shot with the ice jutting out into the river is very very nice!
01-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
It was really great seeing these. Thanks for sharing. I love the shot of your daughter and her friend climbing on the Rock face. That last shot with the ice jutting out into the river is very very nice!
Thanks Tess. I left the girls in that rock face shot just to give some perspective.

Tim
01-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Real nice scenics. The only thing missing is blue sky and puffy white clouds.--charliezap
02-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Real nice scenics. The only thing missing is blue sky and puffy white clouds.--charliezap
Thanks Charlie.
Yeah - It would have been nice to have some sun, but with the temps that warm (upper 30's F in late December!) we were happy we could just get out.

Tim
02-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Really nice series Tim. 2 and 4 are my favorites. Lots of color for this time of year.
02-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Really nice series Tim. 2 and 4 are my favorites. Lots of color for this time of year.

Thanks Susan.