Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Our Christmas Tree
Lens: DA* 16-50 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Bucks County, PA 
Posted By: DaveInPA, 01-04-2012, 05:00 AM

A few pictures from Christmas

Attached Images

Last edited by DaveInPA; 01-04-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Views: 958
01-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not seeing anything here

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Pictures added.

Serious case of user error on my part!
01-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now I see them! Are both of these HDRs? Everything is clear and visible

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They're not HDRs...I actually used Topaz Adjust on them. Topaz Adjust is really fun to use for bringing out details in photos as well as giving photos a variety of different moods.

Last edited by DaveInPA; 01-04-2012 at 06:01 PM.
01-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
They're not HDRs...I actually used Topaz Adjust on them. Topaz Adjust is really fun to use for bringing out details in photos as well as giving photos a variety of different moods.
Hi

I thought HDR stands for High Dynamic Range and that is what Topaz Adjust is doing and the Presets are all High Dynamic Range adjustments.

Greetings
01-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Schraubstock,

I'm no expert...but my understanding is that HDR is combining multiple images (taken at different exposures) and combining them into a single image. Both of these images are single exposures (excpet for one with my daughter floating in the air...that is two individual exposures where I used masking to remove the chair...and me...supporting my daughter) that have been run through Topaz Adust tool to bring out detail. I used the Spicify filter in Adjust...there are a number of them to choose from. Spicify is very extreme in its impact but you can use masking to remove the more extreme effects.

01-05-2012, 04:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but my understanding is that HDR is combining multiple images (taken at different exposures) and combining them into a single image
Hi

There are two ways of creating HDR images.
One is High Dynamic Range rendering on the computer (Topaz, OLONEO or HDR Expose are some of those programs dedicated to this task) and the other is by taking several exposures in Low Dynamic Rage (LDR) also known as Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) and than assemble them on top of each other (stacking), either by using dedicated computer programs or as we all know in-camera with the K-5.

Because the K-5 manual only deals with the in-camera stacking of several LDR or SDR images most people think this is the only way or true meaning of HDR.

I run the full suit of TOPAZ, OLONEO as well as HDR Expose and all do HDR rendering.

The Image where you give wings, so to speak, to your daughter is hellishly clever - I like very much even though I am not overly keen on the HDR treatment. (Personal taste).

Greetings

Edit: I like how the doll hangs on for dear live.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 01-05-2012 at 05:33 AM.
01-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Schraubstock!

You are correct then since this was done using Topaz. I intentionally went a little heavy on the effect since it was for a Xmas card. I'll need to try to re-process that to see if I can do a better job...it was done under duress...late at night...while sick...so I could upload to the card company in time for the holidays.
01-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I intentionally went a little heavy on the effect since it was for a Xmas card.
... and how have they turned out?

Hi it's me again,
I picked up this comment of yours and thought I might quickly "throw in" a bit of a hint in relation to printing. I have been involved in fine art printing and can offer this advice for what it is worth: (Chances are you are already familiar with it anyway)

Images you display on the computer screen are "additive colour", they are created by mixing coloured light (primary colours) which are emitted from an illuminant source. This allows for a much wider gamut and when you crank up colours on the monitor and then want to print this image you will be mightily disappointed because your printer (any printer not even HiFi colour printing) won't be able reproduce this image as you see it on the monitor. The reason? printers work with inks or paints and colours are generated by mixing inks (paints) and this is called "subtractive colour" The subtractive colour gamut cannot be anywhere as wide as the additive gamut can. So when next time you prepare an image for printing keep this in mind.

So what looks nice and bright and very colourful on screen will be a disappointment in print. I see oftentimes posted images here on the forum that clearly have been enhanced to look powerful on screen and I guess that's where most people view them but the disappointment will be great when any of those images ever make it to the printer.

Hope I have been of help with this explanation. (Even though you did not ask for it).

Greetings

P.S. I think your daughter is a very lucky girl to grow up in such nice environment. Anywhere one will find a Christmas Tree such as yours has to be a nice environment!
01-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Schraubstock...the cards actually came out well. Not perfect but I've got plenty to learn! Most importantly, we received great responses from family and friends who loved the picture. And my daughter loved the picture as well though she couldn't remember flying.

Thanks for the info on printing...I wasn't aware of that. Very interesting and explains alot. I do know from photography blogs though that printing is a whole skillset all by itself. Thanks for the feedback and advice!
01-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most importantly, we received great responses from family and friends who loved the picture.
I bet you did and when you send Xmas cards such as this one, print quality will only ever play a minor role.

I also create my own cards (print them myself as well) and I must say its a lot of fun. Sample here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/167985-other-all-forum-members.html

Its been nice talking to you.
Greetings