Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first bird of the New Year and Retirement.
Lens: Pentax 55-300 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Saugus Ma. ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: charliezap, 01-05-2012, 02:40 PM

There were not too many birds cooperating but the nuthatch was a willing subject for my New Years/Retirement endeavors.I used the Pentax 55-300 mm lens and took the shot at 150mm.The first shot is uncropped-the 2nd is cropped--3rd shot is K5 pastel filter and the last is K5 posterization filter.It was 30 deg outside and when my fingers started to get numb I called it a day after 1/2 hour.At least I got a keeper.--charliezap
Name:  004-shrp-rs.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  124.0 KB
Name:  004-shrpcrpd-rs.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  117.0 KB
Name:  016shrpcrpd-rs.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  196.2 KB
Name:  007-shrpcrpd-rs.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  146.8 KB

Views: 1,466
01-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a great nuthatch shot Charlie...
01-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A nice shot Charlie with some interesting variations. I like the pastel one, it's really nice.
01-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm with Heinrich - In fact, I think I like the pastel filter version better than the original shot!
You sure seem to be getting your money's worth out of those filter effects Charlie. I gotta get me one of them K-5's someday.....

Tim

01-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That is a great nuthatch shot Charlie...
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
A nice shot Charlie with some interesting variations. I like the pastel one, it's really nice.
The pastel mode for some reason made the shot sharper in some respects.Now that I'm not working I have plenty of time to probe the depths of what the K5 is capable of doing without the aid of computer rework.--charliezap
01-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with number 2, nice shot, and he seems to have taken a capture of you.
01-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Charlie, I hadn't noticed that the sharpness increased with the pastel filter, but there is a difference in this series. This must be one of those winter birds that arrives in your area, the words "nut" in the birds name has to do with temps below 30 I would assume.
01-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
I'm with Heinrich - In fact, I think I like the pastel filter version better than the original shot!

Tim
Ditto !

And congrats on your retirement Charlie - I'm sure we are going to see quality shots from you on a regular basis now.

01-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
You sure seem to be getting your money's worth out of those filter effects Charlie. I gotta get me one of them K-5's someday.....

Tim
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
I'm with number 2, nice shot, and he seems to have taken a capture of you.
It seems that in this instance that the pastel filter looks like it has more "punch" to it than the original.Whatever works for a taken shot goes into the "keeper" column in my book.--charliezap
01-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

gorgeous effects and an amazing nuthatch capture... they are very fast little birds and we have yet to get a sharp image like this one

I do like the 2nd but the 3rd has a uniqueness about it that I really like... great work!
01-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I like the third one a lot Charlie, very nice and the extra sharpening works well. Enjoy that retirement.....some days I set out to see if I can do absolutely nothing....they always end up being my busiest days!

Regards!
01-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Charlie, I hadn't noticed that the sharpness increased with the pastel filter, but there is a difference in this series. This must be one of those winter birds that arrives in your area, the words "nut" in the birds name has to do with temps below 30 I would assume.
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Ditto !

And congrats on your retirement Charlie - I'm sure we are going to see quality shots from you on a regular basis now.
The nuthatches are year round birds along with the doves--woodpeckers(many types)--chickadee--tufted titmouse--cardinals--sparrows--wrens(carolina)--bluejays.Most of the time I can shoot from only 10ft away from the feeder as was the case with this shot.Using the Pentax 55-300 at that distance makes for good "shootin".--charliezap
01-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very cute nuthatch and caught in a nice pose, Charlie! I like these a lot, particularly the second version!
01-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
Pentaxian

NIce shots.
01-06-2012, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I like the third one a lot Charlie, very nice and the extra sharpening works well. Enjoy that retirement.....some days I set out to see if I can do absolutely nothing....they always end up being my busiest days!

Regards!
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Very cute nuthatch and caught in a nice pose, Charlie! I like these a lot, particularly the second version!
I think in the next few days I'll use my OLD 135mm 3.5 PS Takumar lens and do some birding.---charliezap