Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Her First Time in Public
Posted By: Mike Cash, 12-27-2007, 02:46 AM

Her first time performing a dance in public, that is. I accompanied my dancing girls on another mini-trip to put on a show at a senior citizen's day care center a couple of towns over and for the first time encountered this young lady, an elementary school second-grader.

SMC-A 35-105/3.5

Views: 1,573
12-27-2007, 03:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This is a stunning protrait, Mike.

I really like the feel and the skin tone. The details are just amazing there. Great conversion with sepia hue too
12-27-2007, 04:04 AM   #3
hll

Photos: Gallery
i am impressed, cong!!!
12-27-2007, 04:13 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Nice portrait Mike. She looks deep in thought. Good capture of a pensive moment.

12-27-2007, 05:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone. I don't think her expression was as much due to a pensive moment as it was to a concerted effort to avoid a pissive moment. I know if I were in her position I'd be just about to wet myself from fright.

I'm glad I was able to get at least one nice photo of her first outing. I did a little extra work on this one, going back to some online tutorials for ideas about the b/w conversion. I think I ended up doing a reblend on decomposed RGB layers, plus using the Luminance layer from a LAB decompose, and even using one channel from a CYMK decompose to create a layer mask to adjust the kimono tone. The rest was just a simple vignette effect, USM, bump map, and selenium (not sepia) toning.
12-27-2007, 06:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I would have to agree Mike. It is a beautiful portrait and capture. One minor thing though, I personally don't like the way the hands' tone turned out.

Your dance series especially, are wonderful captures.
12-27-2007, 09:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not happy with the hand either. Unfortunately, I didn't even notice until after I had posted. That's something I'll definitely address prior to printing.

12-27-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike,

I think this is one of the best images that you have presented of this dance group. It is a powerful portrait that seems to capture far more than the lovely young girl. It is a powerfully emotive image and handle masterfully in PP.

Beautiful Mike... simply beautiful.

Stephen
12-28-2007, 12:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Truly beautiful shot. You can feel the apprehension she evidently is experiencing.
Well done, a great portrait, and yes remove the hand for an even better shot.