Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Pentax Photo Gallery (PPG) entries
Posted By: Buddha Jones, 12-27-2007, 11:50 AM

Hello all! I am going to make this a sticky post in hopes that I can get all of you who have submitted pictures to the Pentax Photo Gallery (PPG) and have had them accepted please post a couple of them here and please link back to your gallery so we can see your work. We have so many incredible photogs on this site I am curious to see what Pentax considers your best work.

Thanks!

Last edited by photolady95; 01-18-2015 at 07:21 AM. Reason: changed word possibly to please
Views: 982,632
10-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #5116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Art is very personal, and objectivity often takes a back seat. I do understand your frustration having had a similar experience. When I discovered that my least favoured photo was accepted, and my own favourite choice declined, I realized it was not going to be rewarding to continue, as judging parameters were too dissimilar from mine. Looking at some that have made it, that I would not have bothered submitting, led me to believe my tastes were too different. I have lost interest in submitting, not because of how many of my pictures were accepted, but which pictures were accepted and declined. No doubt there are good reasons for the choices made, and I have no quarrel with them, but no longer have an urge to fit in with them.
Thanks for an intelligent and mature response. I've decided to delete my portfolio at the PPG and forget the whole thing really.

10-22-2013, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #5117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a painter, and I did a painting of my 8 year-old niece holding a candle in front of her face. I just wanted to show the effect of light on her eyes, face and sides. it came out really good. Once in the gallery, a potential customer felt in love with it and wanted to buy it. I was very proud and asked him what he like the most of the painting, he responded: It looks exactly like my son. I interrupted and explained him that it was my niece, a girl. After I said that, the man thought twice and lost interest. He left without buying the painting. Corolary: Art is shown, not sold. Artists should show their work, not push to sell it. Sales people do taht, and it is not recommended.
As an artist, I learned that the message I try to send by painting, is received by others in many different ways. Even when someone tells me that the painting sucks, I smile and accept it. That is his opinion, and that is what that person saw. Different people see different things, we cannot blame them, they are just seeing. WHen I accept to submit my work to a jury, I am accepting that they are qualified and that have learned enough to make a good judgement. So, why complaint when they jury?
I resign from one of those national art associations because I felt I knew more than the juries that were appointed. I know I have a big ego, so, I still believe it. Other artists better than me may thing differently. The mattter is: when we accept to show our art work, we need to be ready to accept every comment about it. Otherwise, we better keep it in a safe place where we only can see it.
The PPG is actually juried by people like you, and me, that have a camera and take photos. I jury photos, but I have never been asked if I know about photography. I do know, however, that the curators in the galleries I exhibit know their stuff. SOmetimes, I bring what i think is an exceptional piece of art, only to find out they do not want it. If I force them to take it and exhibit it, it will hang on the wall for months until taken down. What they jury in, usually sells fast.

Last edited by Pepe Guitarra; 10-22-2013 at 10:24 PM.
10-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #5118
Veteran Member

Thanks for the post Pepe.

One is always better off maintaining control over the nature of one's work. Allowing judges to score your work can never be good for the artist. Art is not a cooking competition where the best recipe wins a blue ribbon or a gold star.
10-23-2013, 03:04 AM   #5119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think PPG is tough because the people voting may or may not be qualified and you never really get any feedback. At least if you got feedback, you would know if you should take the criticism seriously. That said, when I submit photos to PPG, I do select a certain type of photo that I think is more likely to get in and I don't fret too much if it is rejected. It really is a little bit of a crap shoot, but that's the way the internet is in general...

10-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #5120
Pentaxian

This thread is the first time I heard of the Pentax Photo Galleries, so I went to have a look - since there are amazing shots posted here, both accepted and not. I saw one can search the PPG by camera and by lens, so I selected a K-30, (as I use), and a Pentax M 50 mm f/2 (again) ... Half a dozen images - which is half a dozen more than I expected. They were all by the same person too.

Anyway, as I sad, amazing photos in this thread; please keep them coming.
10-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #5121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
This thread is the first time I heard of the Pentax Photo Galleries, so I went to have a look - since there are amazing shots posted here, both accepted and not. I saw one can search the PPG by camera and by lens, so I selected a K-30, (as I use), and a Pentax M 50 mm f/2 (again) ... Half a dozen images - which is half a dozen more than I expected. They were all by the same person too.

Anyway, as I sad, amazing photos in this thread; please keep them coming.
Please set up an account there and submit some of your own photos. You might be surprised by what gets accepted

Try to get some unique camera/lens combinations. I have the only picture using a K-5 and the F 35-135 and the first of 2 with the K-5 and FA 28-105 (Power Zoom).
10-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #5122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The "blown out" area you talk about is The Sun. The "Tree that doesn't do anything for the image", as you put, is the key point of this image - it is the fact that the tree and clouds almost mimic each other that is the reason this image exists. You've totally missed the point of this image.
This comment escapes me because there are no blown lights or too dark shadows in the flower shot, although I would have preferred to edit the colour a bit more than I did.

I should have realized it was a mistake to submit work to a system where popular trends and conventions would determine the majority of responses.

Regarding your advice to "stick with it" I feel obliged to inform you that I have a degree in Fine Art, have had exhibitions and works in National and Private Collections and can *see* quite well for myself.
Oh no, I didn't miss the point and I did get the image, I just don't think it works and I didn't like it.
The flower shot I didn't take the liberty of checking a histogram but part of the flower to me looked blown out. As said, there are shadows running all over the petals and the lightening was really uneven. It wasn't for me.

Last edited by Ash; 10-23-2013 at 01:20 PM.
10-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #5123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Please set up an account there and submit some of your own photos. You might be surprised by what gets accepted

Try to get some unique camera/lens combinations. I have the only picture using a K-5 and the F 35-135 and the first of 2 with the K-5 and FA 28-105 (Power Zoom).
Ok, done. First photo submitted (one of the Milky Way).
10-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #5124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One more out of 4.

10-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #5125
Pentaxian

One more out of 4.

Nice. Lovely posture - looks inquisitive
10-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #5126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Nice. Lovely posture - looks inquisitive
Just a week before she was still begging her mother to feed her.
10-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #5127
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice looking young Cardinal, Boris. Congrats on the entry.
10-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #5128
Pentaxian

Just a week before she was still begging her mother to feed her.
Boris, I had 23 shots accepted at PPG. After a while I got bored with the whole thing. My entries were all shot with my old K100D. Now that I have the K30 and the new 35mm f2.4 I have so many keepers that I KNOW are really good I don't need
the recognition. Rather spend my time posting on other posts, and perfecting my skills with the new and great equipment available out there. Next will buy the DAL 55-300 zoom because I really do need a zoom to fill out my trio of favorite lenses.
Anyway, I love your work, Boris. Warm regards, Freddy
10-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #5129
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Now that I have the K30
You do know, Freddy, it's not the camera that makes the photograph, right? LOL
I too started out using a K100D and that first photo I got in was the in flight Red-tailed Hawk. After the K100D I went K-x, now I too have a K30 and lots more lenses. My first lens was a zoom lens because I shoot wildlife, I bought that when I first got the K100D. I now have 7 more lenses to get great photos with, and have added 46 more photos in PPG since that first camera and lens. I like the recognition even though I know my photos are good, it makes me feel warm inside to think others all around the world think so too.
10-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #5130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
You do know, Freddy, it's not the camera that makes the photograph, right?
I don't know...I only got 14 in with the K-x and 60 with the K-5