Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Pentax Photo Gallery (PPG) entries
Posted By: Buddha Jones, 12-27-2007, 11:50 AM

Hello all! I am going to make this a sticky post in hopes that I can get all of you who have submitted pictures to the Pentax Photo Gallery (PPG) and have had them accepted please post a couple of them here and please link back to your gallery so we can see your work. We have so many incredible photogs on this site I am curious to see what Pentax considers your best work.

Thanks!

Last edited by photolady95; 01-18-2015 at 07:21 AM. Reason: changed word possibly to please
Views: 983,216
04-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I've seen some of your published work and never realized you shot with a Pentax. Beautiful gallery. Incredible stuff.
Thanks for the compliments Peter. I have been following with interest some of these posts. I can understand the frustration of some of the members.

As a point of interest all the images I have posted in this forum's gallery were rejects from PPG. Rejection is something that I have had a LOT of experience with and I have been around a while if you looked at my BIO picture, but I am not sure why some of mine were rejected as well. Be patient

04-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #92
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is what baffles me about the PP gallery. O'neils shot of the Deer (Buck on the run): https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/3063/1_Farmland_Buck_on_tte-Run_W...ay_O_Neill.jpg

Is every bit as good as the shot you have Guido of "Lucky Lucy". Both great images and both equally difficult and well captured. Why did one make it and the other didn't? Just not consistent enough IMO.

Anyway here's the ones I did get in after about 30 tries.
PENTAX Photo Gallery
04-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #93

Issues with PPG

I've been submitting photographs for a solid year to the gallery and all have been declined. Granted I don't really take traditional landscapes or portraits, but my work has sold, been in galleries and been published. Has anyone else had these issues? Is it just me? I'm beginning to think PPG has apersonal beef with me...
04-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #94

The selection is tough and is double. The first hurdle you have to take is the other photographers, To many no's from them and you are not even get to the proffesional jury.

I dont think its mature to say
QuoteQuote:
why his picture and why not mine,
by entering you agreed on their terms so be it if a picture is not accepted. Just be a sport! Last week one of my best shots was refused. It did not feel good and I was a bit angry. Close examination showed some sensordust in the corner, unacceptable but I had entered it.

Some advise read the judging guidelines at least once a week for the first six months or so.
The picture should be impecable, light, composition, sharpness, post processing even the text that goes allong with it is important.

Believe I had many declined pictures.

Good Luck Guido

Last edited by Geyst; 04-05-2008 at 01:40 PM.
04-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #95

QuoteQuote:

Great shots Peter
04-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
This is what baffles me about the PP gallery. O'neils shot of the Deer (Buck on the run): https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/3063/1_Farmland_Buck_on_tte-Run_W...ay_O_Neill.jpg

Is every bit as good as the shot you have Guido of "Lucky Lucy". Both great images and both equally difficult and well captured. Why did one make it and the other didn't? Just not consistent enough IMO.

PENTAX Photo Gallery
After following the posts on this thread and seeing the level of frustration with PPG, I have decided to speak up and share some insights. I am not doing this because I consider myself an “expert”, but those of you that have seen my picture know that I would qualify as “experienced”, or “seasoned” if you prefer.

Firstly you need to know that the PPG process is more than somewhat “imperfect”. The processing of submissions is two parts; “primary screening” by “artists” and secondly “judging” by Pentax staff.

In defense of PPG I do not know how they could do this in any other way without incurring an enormous expense in administration which would mean that they would have to charge at least $5 per submitted image, and then they would probably not break even.

The screening process is a little bit like a minefield, if you send 100 highly trained solders through a minefield 15 or 20 are going to make it through, the rest will be killed indiscriminately. The screening process with PPG in not indiscriminate, but I can assure you that there are huge differences in the “artists” expertise in evaluating images. There are courses in judging photographic images and I would guess that there are less than .0001% of the screeners, who have that level of knowledge, and I do not mean this in a derogatory way, that is simply a fact of life and for the most part I’m sure they do their best.

The Pentax staff evaluates all those images that got at least a 38% approval rating, which IMHO is quite liberal, and I am sure that they are judged fairly and objectively at that point.

I think that the Pentax Photo Gallery is a classy, well designed, and very inexpensive way to showcase your work. And anyone who has had images accepted should be proud of their accomplishment, especially if they had 1 out of 4 accepted as one post suggested.

The editing and evaluation of your own work is a subject that I am very familiar with, but it involves a whole new discussion. Suffice to say at this point that if you look at one of your images and think “WOW! Did I really take that”, then that little “soldier” probably has a chance, but remember the odds!

I hope my dissertation has been helpful and encouraging.

Murray
04-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #97
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Points well made and taken. I do agree that the gallery is well presented in all aspects. Frankly it does make me work a little harder to improve my skills. That can't be a bad thing even if I can't get any more in.

04-07-2008, 08:21 AM   #98
Veteran Member

I've submitted 6 and all were rejected. Oh well maybe one day. I'll just keep shooting and learning. Submitted another today. We'll see.
04-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #99

A solution could be that Pentax gives only the experienced photgraphers a chance to vote.

But a lot simpeler is that we should vote more so the influence of unexperienced people is lower.

I remember my grandfather, he used to say "if something is no done right you got to do it yourself" Since I'm a granddad myself now I gues ist a good thing to repeat this wisdom.

Guido
04-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
I've submitted 6 and all were rejected. Oh well maybe one day. I'll just keep shooting and learning. Submitted another today. We'll see.
Make that 7 for 7. Still have 2 more in review. Guess soon it will be 9 for 9 in rejections.
04-10-2008, 06:42 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Now 9 for 9.
04-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #102

I had more then 9 entered as my first was selected so there is hope.

Just keep on going and improve!

Guido
04-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Finally got one of my photos accepted in the gallery! Whew! After many months of being declined, one finally made it through... and it was one of my shots from my first ever commissioned shoot... At least I know I did a good job on my first assignment!
04-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #105
Inactive Account

The problem I find (sorry if this has already been brought up) is that most of my best shots are taken with sigma lens. When I try and load them I get a message saying, basically, I cant because its not Pentax.

I dont have a problem with this at all, to get the shots I want though I need wide angle Pentax lens, more money (lol). Think I might take up knitting as a hobby and dump photography (yeh right)