Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Pentax Photo Gallery (PPG) entries
Posted By: Buddha Jones, 12-27-2007, 11:50 AM

Hello all! I am going to make this a sticky post in hopes that I can get all of you who have submitted pictures to the Pentax Photo Gallery (PPG) and have had them accepted please post a couple of them here and please link back to your gallery so we can see your work. We have so many incredible photogs on this site I am curious to see what Pentax considers your best work.

Thanks!

Last edited by photolady95; 01-18-2015 at 07:21 AM. Reason: changed word possibly to please
Views: 983,190
12-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #1231
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Today two more in!!!

Golden Shower

Shipwreck Hut II

12-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #1232
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats Rense!! Beautiful photos.
12-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #1233
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Rense - yours are just excellent...

A couple more:

12-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #1234
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cdurfor Quote
These 3 were accepted. I too wonder whether PPG is too lax.
May I ask why you submitted them if have doubts about their quality?

BTW, I agree with you. Your shots are nice and you can be proud of them but with all due respect IMO they are not the stand out images something like the PPG should be reserved for.

I believe the PPG will work best if it is extremely discriminative and only accepts the very best images. And I don't see why it should operate laxer than this, given the large number of truly awesome images in it, not in a small part contributed by members of this forum.

I sincerely do not wish to offend you personally. I had similar thoughts with a few other images I saw posted here as acceptances, but somehow your self-doubt invited my question above.

All the best!

12-04-2009, 02:00 AM   #1235
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ash congrats on those acceptances! I am glad the second one made it in, because I like that one very much!
12-04-2009, 05:58 AM   #1236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
May I ask why you submitted them if have doubts about their quality?

BTW, I agree with you. Your shots are nice and you can be proud of them but with all due respect IMO they are not the stand out images something like the PPG should be reserved for.

I believe the PPG will work best if it is extremely discriminative and only accepts the very best images. And I don't see why it should operate laxer than this, given the large number of truly awesome images in it, not in a small part contributed by members of this forum.

I sincerely do not wish to offend you personally. I had similar thoughts with a few other images I saw posted here as acceptances, but somehow your self-doubt invited my question above.

All the best!
I know you didn't direct the question at me. But, I also raised the same concern of PPG's quality going down, and I'll give you my answer to your question.

To me personally this is how it worked out. Initially I submitted photos after pondering them through for months as I wasn't too sure whether they were good or not. I was new to photography. Then say I pick the best five and submit, to see that the first four got rejected and the the least favorite of mine got accepted.

Then later, you get a taste of good photographs, and don't wait for the several months to evaluate and start submitting a few weeks or days later (Also, with more and more pictures piling up into the library, I don't even have time any more to go back and fine tune). Also, you submit some of the doubtful ones as in the past the least favorite ones have been submitted.

So, later when it is accepted you really start to see the faults, but it's already there.

So, the answer is...yes! it is my fault for not critically evaluating the image prior to submission, but the reality is, given the nature of PPG and the obscure qualities it looks for in an image, and the inability for me to critically evaluate each and every image, this will keep happening. Do you think PPG will allow 10 images to be submitted each week if they expect only those images that are evaluated for months on end to be submitted. I am all for 1 shot ba week, which I think will make it better......

My recent one, all three of the image I submitted with my $75 dollar 320mm lesn is now accepted, and I also think the quality has gone down, or I am getting better and I am being too critical. I love this image though....

PENTAX Photo Gallery
12-04-2009, 06:45 AM   #1237
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Also, you submit some of the doubtful ones as in the past the least favorite ones have been submitted.
Why submit doubtful ones?

If one has a business and believes it is good advertising to be able to claim to have a large number of PPG acceptances or one does it as a sport to compete with other submitters then, yes, I can understand why one would want to see images being accepted one doesn't fully believe in.
However, for most private photographers, I don't see the point in collecting acceptances, rather than seeing the work published one believes in.
So, later when it is accepted you really start to see the faults, but it's already there.
I'm talking about images which pretty clearly do not have the "wow" factor. I'm definitely not talking about "little less than perfect". Your images are all well above my personal PPG threshold. You may see some room for improvement with some, but IMO they are all fit for the purpose of being a great advertisement for Pentax gear and testimony to an excellent photographer.

Do you think PPG will allow 10 images to be submitted each week if they expect only those images that are evaluated for months on end to be submitted.
I think this limit has to do with their processing capacity and does neither imply that they expect you to do 10 world class images a week nor that you should submit your three really good ones and then some for good measure.

What if you just came back from a year spend in Africa with a bag full of stunning images. Should you be limited to load off your gems to PPG one image per month because that might normally be a reasonable period for expecting a really good shot?

12-04-2009, 06:54 AM   #1238
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I think this is a valid discussion guys but sort of hijacks the intent of this thread. I can see it becoming a discussion into itself.

I think the OP wants us to just share the joy of getting in the PPG. So if you like, I can move these recent posts to a new thread and we can have at 'er. I certainly (If you know me, I would of course) have an opinion and I vote way more than I submit.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 12-04-2009 at 10:17 AM.
12-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #1239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two more for me.

"This tastes terrible"

"Nice Rack"
12-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #1240
Veteran Member

Nicely done Steve. Both deserve to be there! JIM
12-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #1241
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Today two more in!!!
Golden Shower is my favorite

Congrats
12-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #1242
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

A couple more:

Really like the Frilled Frilled lizard

Congrats!
12-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #1243

QuoteOriginally posted by emilf Quote
Rense - that's a really nice shot. Great contrast.

I got another motorcycle shot in... I'm going to have to change subject for a little while - maybe even go as far as cars

What a fantastic composition.

Niklas
12-05-2009, 04:59 AM   #1244

hello ! i have posted two photos, but can't find them: is it normal ? is there a delay ? have they got to be accepted ? no idea - please let me know ? thanks.
12-05-2009, 06:12 AM   #1245
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clodomir Quote
hello ! i have posted two photos, but can't find them: is it normal ? is there a delay ? have they got to be accepted ? no idea - please let me know ? thanks.
Check on the "Your Photos" page after you've signed in on PPG. If they've been submitted under a month ago, they'll either appear as ready for review, accepted or declined images. This process may take from days to weeks to get from 'ready for review' to accepted or declined. If over a month, and they don't appear there, then they may have been declined and deleted from the database.

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Really like the Frilled Frilled lizard

Congrats!
Thanks mate!

Last edited by Ash; 12-05-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: spelling