Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 441 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  
Pentax Photo Gallery (PPG) entries
Posted By: Buddha Jones, 12-27-2007, 11:50 AM

Hello all! I am going to make this a sticky post in hopes that I can get all of you who have submitted pictures to the Pentax Photo Gallery (PPG) and have had them accepted please post a couple of them here and please link back to your gallery so we can see your work. We have so many incredible photogs on this site I am curious to see what Pentax considers your best work.

Thanks!

Last edited by photolady95; 01-18-2015 at 07:21 AM. Reason: changed word possibly to please
Views: 1,037,215
05-03-2015, 05:54 AM   #5656
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nimble Quote
I think the problem is in editting software. Which one do you use?
I had the same problem after exporting from the latest Lightroom version cc 2015. Export settings included all metadata. When I changed setting of metadata to "copyright only" PPG didn't find data about body and I could choose the body manually after uploading.
I just downloaded LR 2015 so I am pretty sure these were downloaded using LR4 unless they were automatically changed after the upgrade. I will go back to the original and re-export and see if that works. Seems like a weird work around though because the exif is intact.
By the way, I did try again this AM and it still isn't working. Will let you know after giving Nimble's suggestion a try.

Well, Nimble's suggestion worked but it sure is a pain to have to add the info that was already there. Hope they fix it soon.

Went back and resized the photo in PS instead of LR and it went through without a problem. Weird.

Last edited by slowpez; 05-03-2015 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Added info
05-04-2015, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #5657
Pentaxian

I've tested - Dropbox doesn't support forum photo sharing. Try another photo sharing service. I use Flickr - it generates forum link, just copy it here and it works.
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Or you can use your Album on here. But i use flickr too. It's free and easy to post from, you get 1TB of space to hold/show your photos.
Thanks to both of you for your suggestions!
I wanted to share my latest accepted photo (from my phone - being on the road ) but getting the public link from dropbox somehow works in another way from my <android> smartphone than from my usual desktop environment. I've been sharing photos from dropbox successfully and it works fine, you just have to upload it in the public folder, grab the "public link" and paste it here between the [IMG] and [/IMG] shortcodes.

So here it is my latest:
(Photo taken in Russia, Karelia, near Belomorsk)
05-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #5658
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Better look again, I see another accepted after this one. And I like this one. Those eyes are so intense!
05-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #5659
Veteran Member

I heard back from the folks at the PPG and the is what they said.

Hi Susan,
Thank you for sending more details about your issue. You're right. Lightroom 6 files contains more metadata info than Lightroom 5 files. When you upload Lightroom 6 jpg, the website is not reading the correct field. It is a Lightroom 6 bug. The solution is to modify the Exif data before you upload the image. We installed a software from the app store named Photo Meta Edit ($3.99) on our mac. If you use PC, I'm sure there are software you may use for editing exif data. Open the file in Photo Meta Edit, look for the line with the tag name "Orientation". Right click on that line and choose "delete". Then, save the file. You should be able to upload your image after that. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

05-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #5660
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Amazing they got back to you. i see they also must use Mac's only. I guess mine went through because I use a PC and I don't use Lightroom.
05-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #5661
Pentaxian

Better look again, I see another accepted after this one. And I like this one. Those eyes are so intense!
Thanks! Yes there is a new one accepted

---------- Post added 04-05-15 at 23:19 ----------

Amazing they got back to you. i see they also must use Mac's only. I guess mine went through because I use a PC and I don't use Lightroom.
I've wrote a few times to the crew at the PPG as well, but never got an answer - so yes, it's amazing
05-05-2015, 06:30 AM   #5662
Veteran Member

Actually, it also affects PCs but only for LR 6. Evidently LR 5 is OK. That is why the two previous ones I sent it went through but the upgrade killed the last ones.

05-05-2015, 06:42 AM   #5663
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I guess Adobe needs to fix LR 6 then, don't they. I was jousing about using a PC and it being why mine go through. But I have never had this problem, but then, I don't use LR of any version. I tried three times, with different versions, and simply prefer my Photoshop Elements.
05-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #5664
Forum Member

I was surprised a lot with this quite ordinary, imho, studio portrait approval. Haven't got any ideas why votings chose it...

05-05-2015, 08:48 PM   #5665

I was surprised a lot with this quite ordinary, imho, studio portrait approval. Haven't got any ideas why votings chose it...
Not to pick on your pic - but me too...

This is why I have given up on the PPG. It really is not the best. More like a I'll vote for yours if you vote for mine. There are some stunning pics here that deserve to be there and more and more there are lots that are nice but not nice enough. IMHO.
05-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #5666
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DblArrow Quote

This is why I have given up on the PPG. It really is not the best. More like a I'll vote for yours if you vote for mine. There are some stunning pics here that deserve to be there and more and more there are lots that are nice but not nice enough. IMHO.

The standards seem to be pretty low. I probably give a thumbs up to 3% of what I see when voting, but lots of below average work gets accepted.
05-06-2015, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #5667
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DblArrow Quote

I agree, I don't understand what's going on here, every time I log on to vote I see lots of average shots and holiday snaps and can't help wondering why people would even submit those shots, It gets a bit depressing voting "no" most of the time so I log off and do something else, it seems most of those shots get approved though. Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man. Really my standards aren't all that high but even I can see that most of the submitted photos are not up to standard for a premier photo gallery, including some of my own shots. I must add though that many of the shots I see on this thread are deserving.
05-06-2015, 03:22 AM   #5668
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
I agree, I don't understand what's going on here, every time I log on to vote I see lots of average shots and holiday snaps and can't help wondering why people would even submit those shots, It gets a bit depressing voting "no" most of the time so I log off and do something else, it seems most of those shots get approved though. Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man. Really my standards aren't all that high but even I can see that most of the submitted photos are not up to standard for a premier photo gallery, including some of my own shots. I must add though that many of the shots I see on this thread are deserving.
I agree about the low standards... And when I vote, the average thumbs up is no more than 5% from what is submitted, sometimes even much lower....
What is more annoying that back in the old days it was someone from Pentax who had the final verdict on including a photo or not (at least for the premier gallery for sure). Now it is a totally automated process. I cant figure out what algorithm they use, but many times when voting - I give thumbs down to an image, then if I check the "Recently added" category - there it is the image included... So by voting I contribute to include sometimes photos, which were supposed to be deleted right after the push of the shutter button....
05-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #5669
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Another for me.

05-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #5670
Pentaxian

Another for me.
Funny little creature, nicely captured! Congratulations. It is a sort of black-orange "Pentax bug"? ˘˘˘