Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 441 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  
Pentax Photo Gallery (PPG) entries
Posted By: Buddha Jones, 12-27-2007, 11:50 AM

Hello all! I am going to make this a sticky post in hopes that I can get all of you who have submitted pictures to the Pentax Photo Gallery (PPG) and have had them accepted please post a couple of them here and please link back to your gallery so we can see your work. We have so many incredible photogs on this site I am curious to see what Pentax considers your best work.

Thanks!

Last edited by photolady95; 01-18-2015 at 07:21 AM. Reason: changed word possibly to please
Views: 1,037,543
05-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #526
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i haven't read through all the thread (too long), so my appologies if it's been discussed before.

1.(because it's short ): i've been very frustrated for the past half an hour or so, pentax gallery is working like shit on my computer, i much dislike flash photo galleries (i personally think they are overkill, unconfortable, etc), but that's besides the point. long storry short: if you have the same frustrations, and are a linux user, you might be using gnash (the opensource flash implementation) instead of the non-free (adobe version). i switched to the non free and now it works, it seems ppg wont work properly with gnash for some reason. did i mention i hate flash?

2. i see a lot of frustration, questions, and so on, about what gets accepted and what not, and why. i believe that is good for most of us (i will join the herd soon i think, if i can find any shots of mine which i honestly believe worthy), but meanwhile, i have an idea:

could we make a separate subforum (similar to the "post your photos" one) for photocritique (namely of ppg declined photos), mercyless, honest, to the point critique. i know there is a lot of chance involved in getting a shot accepted, but sometimes there are things which others can see and the photographer cannot.

the problem is that it is impossible to do critique in one single thread, impossible to follow, one thread per picture is the way to go. we have many great photographers here, many people with a good eye, many people with excellent technical knowledge and understanding, i think we have a strong _photographer_ community, so i think only good could come of this (btw, if there is such a sub-forum here which i missed, apart from the "post your pictures", which is not so critique oriented, please accept my appologies and point me to it). a related idea would be to mark the threads which are considered "solved" by the initial poster somehow, so they don't get in the way (i wouldn't say lock them, but make them easy to tell apart somehow).

what do you think? i personally am quite keen on shifting my posting efforts towards photography rather than rumours, speculations, features requests and so on (not that i am blaming others of doing this, i am actually blaming myself ), in my experience, it helps both the photographer and the one who critiques, a lot. if this is not quite on-topic for pentaxforums (i understand it might not be), i might think of trying to use my own gallery for this purpose (the advantage would be that it was designed for such things), just say the word (but i have to do some checks first on the processing, storage limitations and bandwidth i have available on my server), the point is i have been longing for a long time for a place of honest, direct and to-the-point critique (i tried many on the web, most are overflooded with junk, crowded with non-photographers -- to put it lightly --, or simply too relaxed -- not critical enough, too much praise)

in any case, the best of luck to all of you submitting to ppg, meanwhile.

05-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #527
Veteran Member

nanok: Photo Critique - PentaxForums.com
05-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #528
Veteran Member

thanks

i realy had it coming, hadn't i? so how about tagging those shots "ppg" or something, so people can notice them (and, possibly, be less mercyfull).

i'll head on there, meanwhile
05-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #529
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LSPhotography Quote
One of my first three submitted made it in!
Wow, I was just looking at it in PPG Recently Added! Congrats Jon! This is a great, vivid colour shot!

05-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #530
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
thanks

i realy had it coming, hadn't i? so how about tagging those shots "ppg" or something, so people can notice them (and, possibly, be less mercyfull).

i'll head on there, meanwhile
There's also this thread, which is revived everytime the PPG has a round of rejects/accepts: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/33574-post-your-ppg-rejects.html

Perhaps it could be stickied.
05-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #531
Veteran Member

Finally got a second one in (not the one I would have picked, but oh well):

PENTAX Photo Gallery

Last edited by deadwolfbones; 05-28-2009 at 04:08 PM.
05-29-2009, 12:16 AM   #532
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jon, Joseph, great shots and well deserved, I'd say! Congrats!

05-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #533
Forum Member

thanks guys, i was excited that one made it in, its also going into a local art show/competition, so we will see how it does in that.
05-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #534
Veteran Member

Joseph, a great addition to your superb series of PPG photos! Congrats!
05-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #535
Veteran Member

I wouldn't quite call two photos a series yet.

One day I'll get there, though.
05-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #536
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I wouldn't quite call two photos a series yet.

One day I'll get there, though.
LOL, looks like I was looking at your shot in the recently added view of the gallery ! Nevertheless I like the other shot too!
05-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #537
Pentaxian

Well, I haven't been around here in quite some time and it seems I missed out on a great number of wonderful new additions.

I'd like to offer my congratulations to everyone that made it - some of course more than once .

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
...not the one I would have picked, but oh well...
That is certainly one that I would have picked. Realy like it a lot.
06-01-2009, 06:24 AM   #538
Inactive Account

Can those of you who vote tell me how long you look at a photo before voting?

Sometimes my first impression is to vote no (or yes), but when I stare at the photo and think about it for a few moments, 30seconds, 45 seconds, 2 minutes, then my opinion might change.
06-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #539
Veteran Member

5 Seconds at most.
06-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #540
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
Can those of you who vote tell me how long you look at a photo before voting?...
In the days when 'everybody' was a smoker, there was a saying it took the time to burn a match to form a first impression of a person.
While that might take a little more than 5 seconds, it's certainly less than 30 seconds.
Now, nobody claimed this was a good thing, just a "fact".
Me, I also tend to rush through (my) pictures but I make an effort to slow down.
So, I would estimate I take about 30 seconds on average.
The clear yes or no comes a lot quicker.
Most of the time, I notice I don't change my first impression.