Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Two new ones and one re-shot
Posted By: Kim, 12-27-2007, 11:56 AM

I haven't shot much my own stuff lately, but here are a couple. I hope you like them and feel free to comment.

First a basic sunset, but I liked the calm water and the clouds. As usual it looks better when framed or at least matted.

The next one was a bit more difficult. I combined this from two different exposures. One for the sky and other for the foreground. It might be a bit tilted. I'll look into it later today and fix it.

This one I originally shot with my Canon a couple of years ago. I like the image so I decided to go back with my Pentax.

Views: 1,895
12-27-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Wow those are all very great shots. I am very fond of the last picture, the colors really stand out.

Which lens did you use to shoot the two landscapes with? I am in the market for a good prime lens to use for landscapes and am hoping you can help me figure out which lens to buy.
12-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great work Kim. They all work quite well, but I am particularly fond of the sunset. Love that smooth calm water to go along with the beautiful end of day colors in that image. I'll have to come back when I have more time to leisurely visit your gallery. You've piqued my interest.
12-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
Kim

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cmanuel Quote
Wow those are all very great shots. I am very fond of the last picture, the colors really stand out.

Which lens did you use to shoot the two landscapes with? I am in the market for a good prime lens to use for landscapes and am hoping you can help me figure out which lens to buy.
Thank you for commenting.

I used the DA12-24 for the landscape shots and Tamron 90mm macro for the last one. Unfortunately I'm not at all familiar with Pentax superwide primes, but I can recommend the DA 12-24. It gets the job done and to me that is what matters.

12-27-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the 1st and 2nd shots are fantastic.. the 2nd one would be my favourite. the 1st one is beautiful but the water is almost too perfect. and the 3rd shot has a lovely contrast of colours and the shot works very well.. overall, well done mate.. great shots.
12-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree #2 is a little dark for me but overal my favorite. Nice work and good to see you again.
12-28-2007, 12:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great pics there Kim. I like them all although the 2nd one could do with some more foreground detail. Have you tried using a ND filter combined with a flashgun? gives a nice effect particularly if your going to convert it to B+W.

12-28-2007, 04:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

2nd is my favourite ... albeit dark ... it gives to the mood of the shot ... eerie ... but well done.
12-28-2007, 04:59 AM   #9
Kim

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
Great pics there Kim. I like them all although the 2nd one could do with some more foreground detail. Have you tried using a ND filter combined with a flashgun? gives a nice effect particularly if your going to convert it to B+W.
Thanks for commenting Kaimarx.

I'm not sure if gradual NDs would have helped as the difference between the sky and foreground was quite big. The sky shot was exposed for a few seconds and the foreground for a few minutes. I have a selection of ND grads and other filters from film days but I don't carry them with me anymore. I prefer to blend exposures in PS instead even if a gradual filter could be used.

A flashgun on the other hand would have helped, but I dont own one. I didn't even have a normal flashlight with me so I couldn't paint the boat with light.
12-28-2007, 05:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

So beautiful. Love these sophisticated colour there
12-28-2007, 06:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some great work here. I honestly couldn't pic a favourite from them as they all work well for different reasons. I agree with the others that #2 is a little dark but then you'd loose the great sky if you brightened it much.

I had a look at your gallery, Some great work there and I like the web page layout as well. Very nice stuff.

Were you aware of the weekly contest? I think you have a couple that would be worth entering. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games/16749-weekly-challenge-41-sunsets.html
12-28-2007, 09:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Noce series Kim the first one is outstanding. I would iamge it is not often the water is that calm. Well done. I agree on the darkness of #2 and #3 the colors really pop !
12-29-2007, 04:40 AM   #13
Kim

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Some great work here. I honestly couldn't pic a favourite from them as they all work well for different reasons. I agree with the others that #2 is a little dark but then you'd loose the great sky if you brightened it much.

I had a look at your gallery, Some great work there and I like the web page layout as well. Very nice stuff.

Were you aware of the weekly contest? I think you have a couple that would be worth entering. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games/16749-weekly-challenge-41-sunsets.html
Thank you for your kind comments Peter.

I'm aware of the weekly contests, but I must admit that I've been quite lazy to take part... I'll try to join in someday tho.