Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread

Polarizer Filter or not
Posted By: Jimbo, 01-08-2012, 11:12 PM

Always Ask mayself when does I polarizor filter work or not. Here are two images where the first does nto have a polarized filter and and the second does. Same shutter speed two. Need to keep playing with this filter. JIM

Non CPL Filter

CPL Filter

Views: 4,345
01-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Another vote for CPL, same reasons mentioned above.

01-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi JIMBO this is an interesting post.

There is no doubt, the filter version is more appealing to me also. The none filter image looks a wee bit cool to me and with pictures taken in a predominantly green environment I personally prefer to err on the stronger green side. Also I seem to remember from my art classes the Spectral Sensitivity of the Eye (human) favors the colour green.

I wanted to know if this "filter look" can be achieved in PP. (Minus the reduction of glare and reflection) So I set out to see if your original non filter image can be "doctored" to come close to your filtered one, just for kicks and experiment and this is a forum for exchanging ideas is it not?

These days I use more and more OLONEO for colour correction on the fly (it is a French program, relatively new) because it allows you to correct individual colour channels without establishing layers. (Well to a degree)

The non filter image was changed by:
Increasing Ton Mapper +10
Decreasing Detail Strength -10
Increase yellow and green channel hue and saturation (can't give details as it is a curve, but I gave it quite a bit)
Increased yellow hue luminance
Increased red hue luminance
Moved the exposure slider a wee bit to the right.

I still think your filter version is possibly the better one but personal taste and calibrated screens have to be considered.

The resulting image looks like this:

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 09-16-2012 at 05:28 PM.
01-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:

There is no doubt, the filter version is more appealing to me also. The none filter image looks a wee bit cool to me and with pictures taken in a predominantly green environment I personally prefer to err on the stronger green side. Also I seem to remember from my art classes the Spectral Sensitivity of the Eye (human) favors the colour green.

I wanted to know if this "filter look" can be achieved in PP. (Minus the reduction of glare and reflection) So I set out to see if your original non filter image can be "doctored" to come close to your filtered one, just for kicks and experiment and this is a forum for exchanging ideas is it not?

These days I use more and more OLONEO for colour correction on the fly (it is a French program, relatively new) because it allows you to correct individual colour channels without establishing layers. (Well to a degree)

Increase yellow and green channel hue and saturation (can't give details as it is a curve, but I gave it quite a bit)

I still think your filter version is possibly the better one but personal taste and calibrated screens have to be considered.

Greetings
Thanks for your interesting approach to adjusting the image. There are many way to manulate a image on the processing side. I try to get as much as I can out of a image when I am shooting it. I took the image without the CPL by mistake [not realizing it was on or not] and then just put the CPL and left all setting as was.

It is important for me to understand, in the field, what I can do with the given light I have to work with and how to set the camera up for that lighting or effect I am trying to get. [may want to under exposse a shot or over exposure as a example]

so much to learn ans so little time left for me! Will continue to learn from all experiances including the work you did. Cheers JIM
01-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #34
Den
Veteran Member

The first one looks like it's early morning with a bit of overcast skies and the second, like it's a bit later and the sun has broken through the overcast. Both are terrific!

01-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The first one looks like it's early morning with a bit of overcast skies and the second, like it's a bit later and the sun has broken through the overcast. Both are terrific!
Today 09:05 AM
Thank you for taking the time to comment. JIM
01-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #36
Pentaxian

definitely #2 Jimbo. not only does it do a great job knocking some reflection off the foliage, it allows us to see more of the submerged rocks in the river bed.
excellent photo, BTW!!

btw, the CPL image has smoother looking water, perhaps because you were able to slow the shutter by an additional stop(s)??

Last edited by mikeSF; 01-10-2012 at 09:20 AM.
01-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote

Greetings
hmm, to my eyes this is heavily oversaturated and the water has turned an unappetizing green color. me no likey.

01-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
hmm, to my eyes this is heavily oversaturated and the water has turned an unappetizing green color. me no
Thanks Mike. Still learning! JIM
01-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plus 1 for the second shot!
01-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
heavily oversaturated and the water has turned an unappetizing green color. me no likey.
Hi mikeSF

I am utterly stunned to hear this. The colour of the water stayed the same, it could not have changed as I did not do anything with it. This adds another dimension to this very interesting post. I would like to know from other forum members if the water looks green on their screens also. This would also explain why you think the image is over saturated, because if the water looks green I shudder to think what the trees must look like on you screen.

The original water colour has no green component in it, so fiddling with the green channel of the image should/could not effect the colour of the water.

I am traveling in Japan at the moment and write this on my Netbook which has a pretty crappy screen, but even here the water has not changed to green. So I am really interested to know why on your screen the colour is so far off.

Greetings
01-11-2012, 04:01 AM   #41
Veteran Member

unfortunatley Schraubstock i think you have made some of the rocks and the ferns glow green - one could almost say the WB is way off on this PP effort :-)

as ive said in an earlier post - i much prefer the CPL image
01-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi mikeSF

I am utterly stunned to hear this. The colour of the water stayed the same, it could not have changed as I did not do anything with it. This adds another dimension to this very interesting post. I would like to know from other forum members if the water looks green on their screens also. This would also explain why you think the image is over saturated, because if the water looks green I shudder to think what the trees must look like on you screen.

The original water colour has no green component in it, so fiddling with the green channel of the image should/could not effect the colour of the water.

I am traveling in Japan at the moment and write this on my Netbook which has a pretty crappy screen, but even here the water has not changed to green. So I am really interested to know why on your screen the colour is so far off.

Greetings
schraubstock, as i re-read my comment to you, i apologize for sounding so blunt. I do appreciate the excercise in exploring whether the CPL could be duplicated in post, which is a worthy effort for sure.
What really appeals to me in Jimbo's #2 image is the difference in tones between the green foliage and the orange/brown tones of the riverbed. His colors are very nicely saturated to my eye; there is a great deal more saturation in your image, too much for my comfort. I will defer to others in case i am off base here and did not mean my remarks to be provocative in any way.
01-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #43
Pentaxian

for fun, i just opened jimbo's two images up in adobe camera raw and zeroed out all of the color sliders except for green information to see how much green content is in the water. #1 has a good bit of green in the water, #2 has very little. It is clear that the polarizer is cutting out the reflected light from the tree canopy upon the water and allowing the brown/orange tones to dominate it #2. My conclusion to Jimbo's original question is thus, yes, the CPL apparently works well for this photo in a few ways:
  • reducing whitish reflection on the leaves
  • reducing whitish reflections in the water and rocks
  • removing green reflections on the water
  • reducing overall light, thus smoothing water slightly

Last edited by mikeSF; 01-11-2012 at 09:09 AM.
01-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
schraubstock, as i re-read my comment to you, i apologize for sounding so blunt. I do appreciate the excercise in exploring whether the CPL could be duplicated in post, which is a worthy effort for sure.
What really appeals to me in Jimbo's #2 image is the difference in tones between the green foliage and the orange/brown tones of the riverbed. His colors are very nicely saturated to my eye; there is a great deal more saturation in your image, too much for my comfort. I will defer to others in case i am off base here and did not mean my remarks to be provocative in any way.
Hi

Not in my wildest dreams have I ever thought there is any provocation here, I am not that sort of person. There is absolutely and utterly nothing to apologize about. This is a forum for exchanging expertise, ideas, point of views etc. I find the whole thing just interesting to discuss. So please say it as you see it.

I can't figure out why on other screens (on yours) my sample image is soo way out. On the two screens available to me my image looks as good as identical to the one taken with Op's CPL one. There is a very, very slight difference in the green foliage where the original is ever so slightly more yellow, but really only very very little. If you look briefly you would not notice. In fact I was quite shaffed that I could simulate the CPL version so accurately.

Pleas give me more feedback as far as you monitor setup is concerned.

Greetings
01-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #45
Forum Member

As I shot in the rainforest too and also use a polarizer from time to time I find myself using it only on sunny days.
I think the top photo looks more real more what the eye sees when hiking on a cloudy day. Just play with your white balance and saturation don't worry about the polarizer unless you like lime green cedars.
Im for the first one.