Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Trying out a new birding lens
Lens: Tokina 400 ATX AF Camera: K20D, K-M Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 01-09-2012, 06:59 PM

Have had some pretty good success with bird photographs with the SMC 135-600, but it is much too heavy to carry on long hikes, and it really takes some time to get the focus and framing just right. So I've been looking for some time for a more portable long lens. Recently got the Tokina 400 ATX AF from the marketplace here (thanks Furryurry!), and took it out for a quick test.

Mockingbirds (our Tennessee State Bird) make another fine test subject for the new lens. The Tokina works just fine handheld, as long as there's enough light. It also can focus MUCH CLOSER than my 135-600. Here's an uncropped "up close and personal" Mockingbird shot.

Here is a quick snapshot of a Song Sparrow perched on a thorny wild rose stem. This one was purposely a bit overexposed, to show that this lens does have some CA under extreme conditions.

This lens seems to have some fine color and bokeh, although some reviews have been less than favorable about both these characteristics. Here are some distant views of American Robins in the top of an Eastern Red Cedar.

Tripod will certainly mean sharper photos with this new lens, but it sure is fun to be able to hike down the trail and just snap birds as they appear. These Yellow-Rumped Warblers just perched for a few moments. Plenty of time for a quick shot with the new lens!

Our park is blessed with plenty of winter waterbirds. These Coots are pretty shy, and have always been too quick for this slow old photographer. But the new lens is fast to autofocus, and long enough to get some pretty good views.

I will end with some views of one of our park's very patient GB Herons. This one hangs around the park marina almost every day, and is pretty easy to approach, as long as you walk slowly and avoid direct eye contact.

Am looking forward to more birding expeditions (and maybe some mammal expeditions) with my "new toy!" Hope you enjoyed the test shots, and that you'll share your comments, critique and suggestions.

PS - anyone else who has used this lens? Would be delighted to hear any experiences/suggestions/advice for best results with it. Thanks in advance!!
Views: 2,225
01-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you got some fine hand held shots, looks like that lens found a good home. Enjoy!
01-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those are some really nice shots. The Tamron 70-300 I have gives too much PF when trying to shoot birds in trees against the sky, and I could use another 100mm. I may have to look around for one of those Tokina 400's.
01-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

lovely shots! amazing coloured birds! you're starting to wake my AF LBA again. Just after I'd talked it down too! No! Down, LBA! down!

01-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Some real nice shots in there. I have a DA*300 but feel that extra 100mm would see me right with bird shots, that is one of the lenses on my short list.

TFS.

Cheers Ed
01-10-2012, 03:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Looks like a good lens mole 400mm is a great FL on a crop body I think. I had the AT-X 300mm f4 AF for a while and it was a nice little lens also.
01-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bob - Thanks so much!

Bluestringer - Glad you enjoyed these. I've tried the Sigma 70-300, and it's much like your Tamron - too much CA and really rather soft at 300. Tokina is much better!

Wolfiegirl - We are indeed blessed with some lovely and diverse bird fauna in East Tennessee. Speaking of LBA, I thought you were going to buy that SMC 135-600...

Ed - Thanks for your kind words! I've had some success with the A*300 F 4 - A* has nicer color and bit more sharpness, but this Tokina's extra reach really does make a difference.

Borno - Have never seen the 300 - do you have any pictures taken with it? Any chance you might post a few? Thanks!

01-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Those look really good....that is a nice lens, and I have seen good results in other places with it in the past too. Looks like you have already mastered it, and can look forward to a lot of great shots with it in the future. Love that first birdie......nice detail too!
Regards!
01-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fine captures with your new lens... the colors and definition very nice indeed.... best of luck ! dave m
01-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice images of a variety of birds, nothing wrong with that lens. Thanks for posting these.
01-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Exquisite photos of intricate subjects! Excellent colours and clarity. I truly adore your bird images. The mockingbird is lovely, but I also have a soft spot for photos that provide birds with a sense of place, and you do that so well with the birds in the trees and on the branches.
01-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Terrific shots, Mole. (but now you have me dreaming of lenses that I really can't afford) The coots around here are rather tame.

The bird had the nerve to yawn while I crawled up and took the pics

and in about 4 months, the baby coots will start hatching and they are some of the ugliest things you'll ever see.

These were shot with an old point and shoot so the IQ isn't so great.