Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
SackWars
Lens: da* 50-135 f2.8 Camera: k5 Photo Location: Kirkintilloch, scotland ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F5 
Posted By: Usuqa, 01-20-2012, 04:33 AM

One of my favourite things to shoot is the little sackboy models.
There is just something fun about them and they take well to strobe lighting.. so great for having playing around with lights.

The Idea for this shot came from my friend Tom Gentle who had recently just got himself some strobes and did a star-wars themed shot with his Sackboy and tagged me so I figured I should do one as well.

*Lighting*
One soft-box at the back right with a reflector front left, the other three strobes you see was actually one strobe with different color gel’s but in three different shots and combined in post.

*post* merged the three frames of sackboy (with different lighting) into one, added a background and smoke that I shot before.. I also added the text.

Last edited by Usuqa; 01-20-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Views: 714
01-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At first glance I thought it was total CGI and was wondering why it was on a photographic forum. then I read your setup and I love it. the only thing for me is the smoke is a little off, either too big (in proportion) or too bright in relation to the sack doll.
01-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdparker Quote
At first glance I thought it was total CGI and was wondering why it was on a photographic forum. then I read your setup and I love it. the only thing for me is the smoke is a little off, either too big (in proportion) or too bright in relation to the sack doll.
I'm glad you like it, I don't know if something looking like CGI is good lol but then I guess it is in a way a collection of images combined to make something else.
I also agree with you on the smoke and have reworked it a little, looks better now.. While I don't think you would normally find smoke around a lightsaber but I though it added more to the shot than an empty void and also gave somewere for the eyes to wander upto the writing and back onto the subject
01-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
inventive, creative, a real hoot !! brilliant effort... dave m

01-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Love it! There is something really fun about shooting models/figures/dolls. I also thought it was a 3D model until I continued reading. I like the smoke effect, it's really cool.
01-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Christina Quote
Love it! There is something really fun about shooting models/figures/dolls. I also thought it was a 3D model until I continued reading. I like the smoke effect, it's really cool.
Thank you, the smoke was shot about a week ago, I got a candle and setup some strobes (it was for another shot I was doing) and just blew the candle out and took a few frames..

It comes in handy when messing around with images .