Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
I love the Greenlandic winter.....[7 IMG]
Posted By: Duplo, 12-29-2007, 10:59 PM

And that is not a lie, heaps of snow has been falling over the christmas days.
Snowboarding is splendid, temperatures freezing -15c to -20C and new year will bring us down in the -30C range.
But most of all I love the Greenlandic winter for the short days and stunning winter landscapes.

Now to spice it up, I have received the DA21ltd and 105mm macro from pentax andhad to take them for a spin, along with the trusted FA43ltd

DA21ltd:

FA43ltd:

Sigma 105 macro:

inspired by terry:

Such a wonderful 4 hours spend in waist deep snow and -15C.
Did I say that I love winter

Thanks for looking, comments and critics are as always highly welcome.
Views: 3,690
12-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thomas, that is a very nice series but # 4 is superb.
I can understand your love for winter up there, we lived in the Yukon for 16 years and loved it.

Take care, Heinrich
12-30-2007, 01:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Heavenly images with graceful atmosphere.

So beautiful that each time you post the images of the snow scenes, it took my breath away.

I am sure the walk around the area with these primes must be a joy!
12-30-2007, 01:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, scenery like this is just so foreign to me. I agree with Heinrich, #4 is really something else! Great series.

Must get some pretty fast shutter speeds as not to overexpose stark white landscapes?

12-30-2007, 04:38 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Wow, scenery like this is just so foreign to me. I agree with Heinrich, #4 is really something else! Great series.

Must get some pretty fast shutter speeds as not to overexpose stark white landscapes?
Check the EXIF for each shot, they are not fast shutter speeds by anyones measure. Must be magic!

Nice shots Thomas. I particularly like the traffic jam shot.

By the way, I changed my mind about exchanging our Northern Ontario winter for yours! Yikes, that looks bloody cold!
12-30-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautifull images Thomas, all of them. But I think No. 4 really stands out.
12-30-2007, 07:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Your work is great #4 is a great shot!!!

12-30-2007, 07:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice shots Thomas. The second one looks like a New York Metro area commuter highway after a big snow. Have you tried any of the snow shots as B&W? Curious as to how they might look.
12-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stunning captures as usual Thomas, but the first and the last stand out in my opinion. What a vast and empty place you live in! Almost the complete opposite to my digs here in NYC. Thank ever so much for sharing all your images of that stark and beautiful land.

NaCl(but I must say I prefer our winters to yours)H2O
12-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Great shots Thomas ! If you love winter you are in the right part of the world. I love the village shot - a scene from a Norman Rockwell painting.
12-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

As usual, another excellent series of shots. I love the snow and wish we would get more here. It comes but then we have the stretch of warm weather.
12-30-2007, 11:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Beautiful work as always Thomas. The first and fourth are my favorites in this series. I love seeing the beautiful area of Greenland through your lenses.
12-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Thomas, that is a very nice series but # 4 is superb.
I can understand your love for winter up there, we lived in the Yukon for 16 years and loved it.

Take care, Heinrich
THank you Heinrich.
I agree on Number 4, I walk past this place every day, but yesterday I finally had the right conditions for the shot I had in mind.

I know we share a passion for arctic winters, yukon must have been amazing.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Heavenly images with graceful atmosphere.

So beautiful that each time you post the images of the snow scenes, it took my breath away.

I am sure the walk around the area with these primes must be a joy!
thank you Roentarre.
It was and is a joy to walk this area, so desolate and beautiful at the same time. It is what I do to clear my mind and find peace with myself.

The locals call is to go for a session with the great psychologist and it is true, it really is a great way to clear the mind and recharge the mental batteries.

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote

Thank you.
I agree on #4, it really came out good, a scene I have been walking past daily, just waiting for the right conditions.
Due to the lack of light these days shutterspeeds are actually quite low and requires a tripod to turn out alright.
The reason is our geographical location and the fact that I go shooting around sunset.
But yeah exposure and snow like this is really something that takes a little getting used to, not in terms of speed though.
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Check the EXIF for each shot, they are not fast shutter speeds by anyones measure. Must be magic!

Nice shots Thomas. I particularly like the traffic jam shot.

By the way, I changed my mind about exchanging our Northern Ontario winter for yours! Yikes, that looks bloody cold!
thanks man,
Nope we have a soft, late afternoon light up here for the few hours the sun is actually up, due to its low curve over the horizon

Yep sure looks like a trafic jam does it not

It is not too bad, constant temperatures around -15C and tomorrow we are promised to reach the -30C mark, so yes it is going to be a chilly the next couple of days

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Beautifull images Thomas, all of them. But I think No. 4 really stands out.
Thanks axl,
Yep I agree, #4 really is my favourite from the day.
12-30-2007, 11:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Your work is great #4 is a great shot!!!
Thank you Pat.
I agree completely on #4, I have been waiting for that scene to look just right, I think yesterday was the right time.

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Nice shots Thomas. The second one looks like a New York Metro area commuter highway after a big snow. Have you tried any of the snow shots as B&W? Curious as to how they might look.
thank you Peter.
Guess you are right. It could be that, or outside any other large city after a bit of snow
Photo number 6 (second last) is actually B&W, so you probably would not notise in most of them

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Stunning captures as usual Thomas, but the first and the last stand out in my opinion. What a vast and empty place you live in! Almost the complete opposite to my digs here in NYC. Thank ever so much for sharing all your images of that stark and beautiful land.

NaCl(but I must say I prefer our winters to yours)H2O
Thank you NaCl(and I prefer ours)H2O,
Glad you like them and yes it is almost the complete opposite to NYC, I actually love both places, mostly for their contrasts when compared.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Great shots Thomas ! If you love winter you are in the right part of the world. I love the village shot - a scene from a Norman Rockwell painting.
thank you Dave,
Yep I guess this is the place to be for winteraddicts

QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
As usual, another excellent series of shots. I love the snow and wish we would get more here. It comes but then we have the stretch of warm weather.
thank you. Well we are plagued by that at times too, when ever the fohn winds strikes.
However this winter has been unusualy cold and without fohn wind attacks.
12-30-2007, 11:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Beautiful work as always Thomas. The first and fourth are my favorites in this series. I love seeing the beautiful area of Greenland through your lenses.
Thank you LaRee.
I agree on the 4th, it is my own favourite and a scene I have been walking past daily for 2 years waiting for the right conditions to make it work as a photo.
You know, it is one of those scenes where you are looking at it saying, htere is a good photo hidden here, but the conditions is not right today.