Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
How could I have bettered? (con't).
Posted By: NLAlston, 12-30-2007, 05:33 AM

OK. I got it in this time. This was shot at F/1.4 ~ 1/10s ~ ISO 400.

As with the other shot posted, I'd like to know what settings I 'should' have used for such a shot. Advanced thanks.

Attached Images

Last edited by NLAlston; 12-30-2007 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Deletion.
Views: 1,044
12-30-2007, 05:55 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm not a pro - but it would be my opinion that if you were looking to take night time architectural shots a tripod would me a must. The shallow depth of field of a f1.4 can be used to creative advantage as well as giving you more light for inside shots - but F1.4 is probably not the best solution for this shot.

Although it looks fine to me the shot would probably be better shot in ISO 200 @ F11 at least with a time that would necessitate a tripod.
12-30-2007, 06:08 AM   #3

For what it's worth I would have used a tripod and stopped down the aperture for greater DOF.
Also seems like a good scene for some HDR work.
12-30-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. It is just this kind of info that I was looking for.

Though I do have a tripod, I didn't take it with me because there wasn't anything really specific that I had in mind to shoot. I just wished to try my hand at some night shots - with no supportive device for the K10D. I had seen some night shots, taken with the same camera & lens (with claims of being hand-held) which were really sharp, and quite well exposed. Either those 'shooters' had statue-like capabilities, or I just don't have the rock-steadiness of my younger days . But I had hoped for being able to come, at least, somewhat close to mimicking what they had achieved.

I was really feeling the cold, this morning, and don't think that I would have pulled the tripod out even if I did have it with me. What shooting I did, was done through the lowered window of our vehicle. But I'll get out again, and will apply the suggestions that have been given here. Thanks again.