Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
43mm as a wildlife lens
Posted By: Andrew Faires, 12-23-2006, 11:53 PM

Admittedly, half the frame ended up being cropped out, and I learned that wireless remote will remain active for NO LONGER THAN 5 minutes of inactivity (and to my amazement, this was even listed in the manual...in fine print...). But in spite of the growing pains, I did manage to scare the tar out of 4 different squirrels without any fatalities when the flash went off

I also learned that the 5 meter distance is that the remote control F is good for with the K10D is actually only good for about 1.5 meters when the camera is on the other side of a double-pained (sp?) window.

This little guy did a peter-pan from about 5 feet up, the first time the flash went off. By the time this shot was taken, he was used to it and even stopped to look at his reflection in the lens.

As for the technical details:
-sun-flower seeds in a convenient bird-feeder as bait
-k10d
-fa 43mm @ f/11
-AF360FGZ
-shutter remotely tripped from the comfort of my livingroom/window was closed
-camera was on the top of a tripod precariously balanced on the lawn, garden and patio stone.
-cloned out some dirty spots on the down-spout, resized, sharpened and framed in PP

**No birds were harmed in the making of this photo**
**Squirrels are physically fine....may need therapy though **

Lastly, along with any C&C's, feel free to comment on the frame being used......I'm a bit new to this and may be inclined to over-do things

Last edited by Andrew Faires; 12-23-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Views: 1,819
12-24-2006, 01:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Andrew. I saw your thread regarding what frame to use etc before. Now you put your practice into use. It is good frame with your name written on it. I like it that way.

I bought the frame from Mskad as well but I never applied to my image. I guess I should.

Your method of getting wildlife shot is quite fun. I just don't think we have squirrels in oz.

Thanks for sharing
12-24-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That guy is so cute it's unbelievable, but I like your story even better.
Good job
12-24-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great story. Thanks for the tip on the IR remote. I discovered that the remote does not work outdoors in the snow on a sunny day either. Have to test it on a not snow day and a snow overcast day to see if there is a point where it works.

I see you got him to show a little teeth with his smile.

12-24-2006, 12:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much, James, Little Laker and Clarence. Half the fun of this was watching how the squirrels adapted to the flash going off. It usually started off with a flying leap from the perch, followed by (in one squirrels instance) a 360 around the perch, to a couple of nervous twitches and finally, they'd ignore the flash completely.

Thanks for the info on the remote, Clarence.