Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Old Farmhouse
Lens: Pentax 50mm 1.7 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Whitney, Ontario ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: tessfully, 01-25-2012, 09:26 AM

Here is another version of the farmhouse and barn. I did not have enough light for a great shot... but this might be seen as a better composition than the former porch only?

There is an century old farmhouse and barn down the road from us. I have photographed the two separately and together dozens of times and have yet to get the eueka shot. It bathes in the sunrise so I think my perfect shot would require me being there on a good day as the sun rises. The sun was already too high in the sky when I took this photograph, so I felt it lacked warmth and the shadows were harsh. After a day of playing with the post processing tools this is my final result. This is a combination of brushes including black and white, sepia, saturation and contrast. I also cloned out a mop.

My final touch on the PP was vignetting the image. I like the effect but wonder if it is now too dark?

Any comments and criticisms most welcome.

thank you

Last edited by tessfully; 01-25-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Views: 1,424
01-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It doesn't seem too dark to me, tess - and I like shots that center on windows and doors. What is the blue apparition that seems to lurk behind (or is reflected upon) the window on the right side of the photo (between the blue and yellow chairs)? Is the house haunted? I figured it was too cold for ghosts up there!

Jer
01-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tess, why not show the complete farmhouse, this seems like too tight of a shot to me and does it need to be straightened? If Norm could put a quick coat of paint on the trim, it would brighten the house up.
01-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
It doesn't seem too dark to me, tess - and I like shots that center on windows and doors. What is the blue apparition that seems to lurk behind (or is reflected upon) the window on the right side of the photo (between the blue and yellow chairs)? Is the house haunted? I figured it was too cold for ghosts up there!

Jer

Thank you Sailor! I am glad you like the composition and that it doesn't seem to dark to you. Those are reflections of trees in the window. I thought it was very cool effect. Aside from that, apparently the house is haunted... I'll have to share the story with you one day!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Tess, why not show the complete farmhouse, this seems like too tight of a shot to me and does it need to be straightened? If Norm could put a quick coat of paint on the trim, it would brighten the house up.
Thanks Bob... I guess it is a tight fit and not enough room for the front porch to breathe. I added another photo above. There was not enough light for a great shot... but if you are still around, do you like the second composition okay?

thanks for looking and for your suggestions

01-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Hi Tess. I really like the first shot with the barn.It has that more open look to it.--charliezap
01-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great to see the old place still in use and being cared for. If I had to make a choice I would prefer the later vesion. I have not tried using frames around my photos. It does give a finished professional look as you would see in a magazine. Very interesting.
01-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tess, I like the wider view, it also did away with the over saturated blue and the demon in the window on the right side that Jer was talking about.
I wouldn't go by me though, I like lightning and pond scum, so what do I know.

02-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #8

Stunning work Tess, you have quite the skill for post processing.
02-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice Tess. I like the first one the best but the ghost in the second one's window is intriguing.
02-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote

Jer
I think both shots are quite nice, but I share the curiosity over what the whole house looks like. The blue is stunning - love how that looks!

The window looks like it has very old glass in it, which has rippled, catching unusual reflections of sky and trees. We don't usually see glass that old these days, but very old glass can become quite beautiful on its own. It continues to "flow" and deform ever so slightly, particularly the compositions used in older glass-making.
02-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tess, they are both very good and I like most that the snow is undisturbed giving both pics a comforting feeling of not being bothered by people. TFS Cliff
02-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Great shots, Tess! I especially enjoy the composition of the first shot with the barn behind. The color and tone of the wood is really appealing to me. These don't look too dark to me at all!

Wonderful work!
02-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, I was surprised to see these images resurface! Thank you Sandra... very kind of you to have a look and comment. I love to monkey around with the post processing tools and this house provides plenty of fodder!!

Thanks Susan! It is as Yucatan said, that glass is original to the house and it has wonderful warps and waves that pick up reflections in the most unique ways.

Thanks for commenting Cliff! I will have to wait till next winter to try for a better more holistic shot of this homestead as the people who live there have returned. They are usually gone till spring....

Thanks Lori! I am glad you liked these. When I do a retake I think I will work with that first composition. There is so much visual appeal to the hand hewn logs ... one day I will get this shot just right!

cheers
03-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

love the contrast of those brightly colored adirondack chairs and the old clapboards(logs?).... think the exposure is fine.. but you could always increase the lighting a tad in p.p. and see if ya like the change... nice to have such a willing and local subject to shoot... dave m