Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Aurora Borealis in arctic Norway
Posted By: Larsenio, 01-25-2012, 01:25 PM

Hello and good evening.

I posted some new photos on Flickr this morning and a few hours after that, I got a mail from Der Spiegel in Deutschland (Germany) with an inquiry to use my photos on their website

They are all taken last evening, in INSANELY northern light showing off their colours!

So now I can say I was published on an international, large website

Here are a few of my little set of northern light-pictures:

Self portrait, 15 sec exposure
f/1.9
ISO 800
Pentax FA 43mm Limited
(Had 4-5 different versions with running back and forth and poses before I finally ended up with the compositional and artistic photography result I had in mind.)

Version 2, with a little less noise reduction and bringing out some more light in the skies:

Andenes, upper town.
13 sec exposure
f/2.0
ISO 800
Same lens

25 sec exposure
ISO 800
Same lens

The set on Flickr:
Aurora Borealis - a set on Flickr

My pictures on Der Spiegel:
Skandinavien: Sonnensturm l

Cheers!

Last edited by Larsenio; 01-26-2012 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added v.2 of picture 1.
Views: 3,635
01-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larsenio Quote
...Which one are you going to travel with? ...
We're booked for Polarys. Hope she's a good one. Even the name sounds cool, for us come from a warm climate, I thinks its going to be cold.

01-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
We're booked for Polarys. Hope she's a good one. Even the name sounds cool, for us come from a warm climate, I thinks its going to be cold.
That's a relatively new and modrrn ship with comfortable cabins and panoramic views from different parts of the ship.
"Polarlys" translates to "Polar light" in english
So let's cross fingers for Aurora following you on the cruise...

A very popular TV-show was broafcasted this summer on norwegian NRK, where they had multiple cameras on different locations aboard another ship; "NordNorge", (= northern Norway).
The whole route was sent live, you can read more aboyt it on their website, I guess
I'm not 100% sure but believe you can stream it also...

Anyway, here's some info of the ship:

http://www.hurtigruten.us/norway/Ships/Hurtigrutens-fleet/MS-Polarlys/

@Frogfish:
I had great pleasure taking these shot's and don't have photography as something more than a hobby.
My only hope is that when others view these shot's, they can enjoy them a little like I did at the point of exposure.

So, no, I did not ask for anything, they wrote introductionally that there was no budget on these articles so they therefore could not offer me money.
However, I own the photos and they only used pictures with 1280pixels, the longest side. My first publishings abroad, I'm just thrilled that now some people actually maybe visit my photostream and my name is shown on popular websites throughout the world.

Had it been norwegian newspapers/magazines/websites, they would automatically have offered me mone in the enquiry, i know.
From 500 Nkr (you do the math) and up to around 2500 (from us amateur freelancers) for one shot of something that has the potensial of ending up on their front page online for some minutes (been there)

Hope that didn't spoil your weekend...

Tommy.
01-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
.."Polarlys" translates to "Polar light" in english
Thanks for that. And here I was thinking it meant Polar Ice. In afrikaans (a local language derived from Dutch/German) "ys" (Dutch "ijs") is ice, so I thought it was linked. When I was in Norway about 6yrs ago, I could not understand spoken words, but could read a lot of the signs because of the similarity to Dutch/Afrikaans.

One thing that has me worried is how to do long exposure on a ship..Tripod..??.. Hopefully K-5 high ISO will be handy. But don't have a really fast and wide lens below DA35f2.4 (then M-50 f/1.7). And will need to make best use of time on land.
01-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Thanks for that. And here I was thinking it meant Polar Ice. In afrikaans (a local language derived from Dutch/German) "ys" (Dutch "ijs") is ice, so I thought it was linked. When I was in Norway about 6yrs ago, I could not understand spoken words, but could read a lot of the signs because of the similarity to Dutch/Afrikaans.

One thing that has me worried is how to do long exposure on a ship..Tripod..??.. Hopefully K-5 high ISO will be handy. But don't have a really fast and wide lens below DA35f2.4 (then M-50 f/1.7). And will need to make best use of time on land.
You will have the opportunity to capture the northern lights on land, because there are quite a few stops on the way from Bergen-Kirkenes

Long exposure at sea= motion blur
But in March there are some moments with magical light along your way in the northern area of Norway.. I`m thrilled on your behalf!

As you can see on the map where I linked to all "Hurtigruten`s" positions along the route, there`s a stop called "Risøyhamn", that`s a stop at MY island, Andøya

Not really a spectacular stop, but a very important stop for feright traffic along the coastal lines of Norway. And many people actually depend on the ships to guide them to work etc every day (well not here I live but on islands far from shore and such).

It`s really interesting you brought up Netherland, the language has quite a few similarities with Danish, which is indeed very related to our Norwegian, since we were under their Kingdom for a few hundred years from the 16th century and forth.
I also understand some words of the written and spoken Dutch, not much though.

Hope you have a nice weekend, and thanks for conversating, perhaps I`ll see you this winter ?
The southbound ship (there`s one every day) arrives in Risøyhamn at around 11am, (11.00 hours) and you really don`t want to miss Vesterålen area when you want to photograph along the cruise!

01-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had great pleasure taking these shot's and don't have photography as something more than a hobby.
My only hope is that when others view these shot's, they can enjoy them a little like I did at the point of exposure.
At least they gave credit so congratulations!

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Version 2, with a little less noise reduction and bringing out some more light in the skies:
Nice job ;~)
01-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
At least they gave credit so congratulations!

Nice job ;~)