Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

MidDay at the Oasis
Posted By: Bob Harris, 01-25-2012, 07:34 PM

This interesting fan palm paradise is situated exactly over the famed San Andreas fault-line. The fault forces underground spring waters up to the surface and for over 1000 years, native Indian tribes have come to the oasis for water, food and hunting. Homesteaded in 1900 by Albert Thornburg, the oasis was traded to Paul Wilhelm in 1905 for two mules and a fancy wagon, it has been a public park since 1984. Temps during the summer can reach 115 degrees f so this is a cool retreat for animal life. Many rare and listed species use these habitats. Protected southern yellow bats (Lasiurus ega) flit and twitter in the rare desert palm oases. Endangered Swainson’s hawks (Buteo swainsonii) soar over the valley floor as they migrate between their breeding and wintering territories. Rosy boas (Lichanura trivirgata) slither between the California fan palm shadows, and the endangered desert pupfish (Cyprinodon macularius) finds refuge in the desert seeps. Located near Palm Springs, this is an interesting place to visit.

Attached Images

Last edited by Bob Harris; 01-25-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Views: 1,370
01-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
fine series bob.... i just hope some day the wife and i can explore our beautiful country like you've been doing... thanks for this tour.. dave m
Thanks Dave, we are truly blessed being able to travel as we do, it is a new adventure everyday and I am glad you are able to travel with us until you are ready for your own adventures.

01-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by captainbert Quote
What an amazing location Bob and beautifully captured at that. Very interesting to read the enclosed info... wow that is some serious temps in the summer! Here tis properly Baltic brrrrr. Great stuff my friend!
Your kind words are always appreciated, many times the history is much more interesting than the photography and yes this desert does get extra hot. Take care my friend.
01-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the way you take us from a distant view to right inside the forest of trees. Very well done. And thanks for the interesting history and story. Great stuff, Bob.
01-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I like the way you take us from a distant view to right inside the forest of trees. Very well done. And thanks for the interesting history and story. Great stuff, Bob.
thank you so much Ray for commenting, the history around here is very interesting for sure.