Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
MidDay at the Oasis
Photo Location: 1000 Palms, CA 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 01-25-2012, 07:34 PM

This interesting fan palm paradise is situated exactly over the famed San Andreas fault-line. The fault forces underground spring waters up to the surface and for over 1000 years, native Indian tribes have come to the oasis for water, food and hunting. Homesteaded in 1900 by Albert Thornburg, the oasis was traded to Paul Wilhelm in 1905 for two mules and a fancy wagon, it has been a public park since 1984. Temps during the summer can reach 115 degrees f so this is a cool retreat for animal life. Many rare and listed species use these habitats. Protected southern yellow bats (Lasiurus ega) flit and twitter in the rare desert palm oases. Endangered Swainson’s hawks (Buteo swainsonii) soar over the valley floor as they migrate between their breeding and wintering territories. Rosy boas (Lichanura trivirgata) slither between the California fan palm shadows, and the endangered desert pupfish (Cyprinodon macularius) finds refuge in the desert seeps. Located near Palm Springs, this is an interesting place to visit.

Attached Images

Last edited by Bob Harris; 01-25-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Views: 1,372
01-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An interesting spot and thanks for the brief history
01-26-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
An interesting spot and thanks for the brief history
thank you for looking Bruce, glad you enjoyed it. Bob
01-26-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

interesting place indeed, does anything else like this happen along the fault line or just at this place, I could imagine a weary traveler would be pretty happy to stumble upon this in days gone bye.

cheers

01-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fine series bob.... i just hope some day the wife and i can explore our beautiful country like you've been doing... thanks for this tour.. dave m
01-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So that's what an Oasis looks like (I thought it was a bar on South 10th Street in Mt. Vernon, IL). Thanks for posting but I'm not grateful for being reminded of the dreadful pop song which can act as insidious ear virus .

Jer
01-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice series Bob! Never seen an oasis other than on TV...did you get to explore inside the palms? Tom

01-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
So that's what an Oasis looks like (I thought it was a bar on South 10th Street in Mt. Vernon, IL). Thanks for posting but I'm not grateful for being reminded of the dreadful pop song which can act as insidious ear virus .

Jer
Sorry about that buddy, I was wondering if someone would catch the title, sorry about "Midnight" reference. I just had to do it.
01-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Sorry about that buddy, I was wondering if someone would catch the title, sorry about "Midnight" reference. I just had to do it.
My first thought was "Put your camel to bed"...

Jim
01-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Great photos, Bob - but I've had to mumble "Riders on the Storm" to myself all day to get "Midnight . . . ." out of my head .

Jer
01-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
My first thought was "Put your camel to bed"...

Jim
Great photos, Bob - but I've had to mumble "Riders on the Storm" to myself all day to get "Midnight . . . ." out of my head .

Jer
Thanks to both of you for taking a look, maybe if we just read the lyrics, the song will go away. Better yet, just turn on a Door's album, that would do it too.

Midnight at the oasis
Send your camel to bed
Shadows paintin' our faces
Traces of romance in our heads

Heaven's holdin' a half-moon
Shinin' just for us
Let's slip off to a sand dune, real soon
And kick up a little dust

Come on, Cactus is our friend
He'll point out the way
Come on, 'til the evenin' ends
'Til the evenin' ends

You don't have to answer
There's no need to speak
I'll be your belly dancer, prancer
And you can be my sheik
01-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
interesting place indeed, does anything else like this happen along the fault line or just at this place, I could imagine a weary traveler would be pretty happy to stumble upon this in days gone bye.

cheers
CC, there are several other Palm oasis' in the area along with a lot of natural hot springs. Interesting geological area to explore. This is the largest one and is called the Coachella Valley Preserve.
01-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jer
+1 Jer, ... I've had some Deep Purple cranked up in the workshop most of the day,... but as soon as it stops....
01-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tpg2 Quote
Nice series Bob! Never seen an oasis other than on TV...did you get to explore inside the palms? Tom
Tom, thanks so much for looking, glad you liked the series. Here are a couple of photos showing the water and palms within the grove. Sort of hard to view. You have got to come out west one of these days. Bob
Attached Images

01-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

What an amazing location Bob and beautifully captured at that. Very interesting to read the enclosed info... wow that is some serious temps in the summer! Here tis properly Baltic brrrrr. Great stuff my friend!