Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
High Contrast
Camera: Fuji x10 Photo Location: Texas 
Posted By: Rupert, 01-25-2012, 09:57 PM

Not the kind we associate with photography necessarily......I posted this on Monday complaining of the sever drought here in Texas.....our local 8300 acre lake was down over 5 feet, and dropping.....

The pier I was on here was nothing but dirt underneath...
[IMG] [/IMG]

Last night we had a colossal "gully washer" here...I shot this today from the same pier.....
[IMG] [/IMG]

Amazing change can come around...overnight! An acre of water one ft deep holds 326,000 gallons of water.......8,310 acres of water 5 ft deep...overnight.......wonder how many gallons of water came out of the sky last night?

Regards!
Views: 888
01-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #2

Quite dramatic. Thanks for posting.
01-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Rupie

We are going through the same scenario at the moment in the north of Australia where Queensland experiences the second flood within, I think is was, 6 months. No wonder everyone there walks around with "trench foot".

Greetings
01-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm watching the news on TV and I guess it's heaven sent that Texas is finally getting rain!
Your new Fuji takes some nice photos! Tom

01-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tpg2 Quote
I'm watching the news on TV and I guess it's heaven sent that Texas is finally getting rain!
Your new Fuji takes some nice photos! Tom
Yes it is! With Spring just around the corner, we needed some rain to keep the trees alive and maybe have some wildflowers this year.
The weather seems particularly erratic nowadays, some places flood, others dry up and blow away....there is nothing "normal" about it....except to expect that in July Texas will be hotter than hell!

BTW-I do love the little Fuji, it is more fun than you can imagine. It's not on the level of my K5 by a long shot, but it is a barrel of fun in a small bundle. Even an amateur that has never used a camera can get decent results with it on most every shot.....which might explain why I love it!

Best Regards!
01-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey man - I'm glad you got some rain. We had some too, but not near enough. At least it's rained enough recently that the water restrictions have been lifted. Your shots reminded me of the last time I saw Lake Travis when we were evacuated for Ike. Since then I've meet some folks that have moved their boats to our area - evacuees from Travis.

Jer
01-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

oh wow, what a deluge! I love shots like these... great photos!

01-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Jer....Something tells me the drought is not over in Texas...just a temporary reprieve?

Thanks Tess! ........One of my Flickr Forum friends did the math...the amount of water it took to bring the lake up 5 feet is staggering...

"The amount is 13,545,300,000 gallons, give or take a pint." He tried to get closer, but down to a pint was the best he could do!

Regards!