Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First day out with the new K10D-part2
Posted By: Workingdog, 12-30-2007, 11:59 AM

Here are a few more. All are of my girl, Eva. In the first she gets her man. In the second she takes her prize home. In the third she relaxes after all that work.
Again your comments are appreciated. I don't know how to add the exif data (help!), I know that would be helpful for those who wish to comment. Due to my lack of experience with the camera I don't think my shutter speeds went over 1/180. Once I get that taken care of I think I'll get some good action shots.

Last edited by Workingdog; 01-20-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Views: 1,168
12-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful looking Dog there
12-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice dog, photos aren't bad either. :-) If you safe the image file "safe as" instead of "safe for web" the exif data should stay intact.

Heinrich
12-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice crisp shots of a good looking dog. Good DOF in that last one I think.

Paul

12-31-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WorkingDog, I'm wondering if you are a Canine Officer then? I have an old friend who is one on the NJ Morris County Sherrif's Department (at least I think he still is; I've lost touch with him since I moved away). I recall when his first dog hit retirement age. He had a bad back problem and my friend was talking about putting him down. My wife and I wanted to adopt him to give him a few good easy years, but it wasn't to be.

These shots are already better then the 1st. I still say give TAv a shot, using your rear dial to open the aperture all the way (as your working distance is very high), and front dial to dial-in the faster shutter. You need to depress then release the shutter 1/2-way to see the ISO selected for you (or look @ the top display, or press the OK button).

BTW, what's your focal length? Wondering if you know the focal length to shutter speed rule? Not considering Shake Reduction [SR] as that is really only for static subjects, and should be off if you are moving the camera and panning during action (or on a monopod or tripod):
- minimum shutter speed of 1x your focal length for stationary subjects
- minimum shutter speed of 2x your focal length for subjects in motion (or higher, for very fast subjects)
- minimum shutter speed of 3x your focal length if you are moving

Last edited by m8o; 12-31-2007 at 01:35 PM.
12-31-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
M80,

Nope, not a K9 officer. My wife belongs to a Schutzhund club and she is the dog's handler. I got my camera so I'd have something to do at training rather than just stand around (although just watching the dogs work is great fun).
It's all sport but many of the attributes needed in a good "street" dog also apply to the "sport" dog. Some dogs are crosstrained and can do both. Check out my post in your "Pet a day" thread.
12-31-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
M80,

I knew about the 1x focal length rule but didn't know the 2x and 3x parts. I have the Tamron18-250 and depending on the situation I was using mostly 100mm and up. So if I use 250mm just to be safe and thats more like 380mm due to the sensor crop, I should be shooting at about 1/500 to 1/750 shutter speed?
Also, I was shooting with IS "on". I know to turn it off when on a tripod but please explain the pros and cons and the affects of using it when panning. I don't think the owner's manual covered that.

Thanks for your input and comments.

12-31-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, I see. Neat; I have to read-up on that. Gosh I have to train Nala. She probably could have been a 'good dog', but she came to us @ 6 months w/o a stitch of dicipline, and we're guilty for not pursuing a modicrum of training like we gave our other dogs. Question, can you teach an old dog new tricks? meaning, if the dog's 2 years old, could I still train her?

Hoping someone else can confirm, but my understanding is you don't use the 1.5x crop multiplier when determining minimum shutter speed according to that rule. The 1/500 is the recommended minimum @ 250mm by that rule. That doesn't mean you can't go faster, just that that rule says 1/500 is the recommended minimum for sharp pictures @ that focul length of subjects in motion. You may however find 1/250 will work ok at times, if you are panning well, and/or the dog & 'bad guy' are far away.

Hmm, I thought it was in the manual. That is based on readings here and camera/photo related mags and sites. It is recommended to be off when panning because the SR system tries to counter-act your motion of the camera, as it doesn't know you are trying to track a subject with your motion. I really only shot relatively still subjects; never mastered the art of panning. So I'll actually learn from you if that's the case or not. I couldn't determine a big difference when using the Monopod as I moved it around enough, but it is slightly better off. I think it's that it's a different kind of 'shake' when freehand, vs on a monopod.
12-31-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
M80,

Looks like I'll have to set up a panning experiment to determine the answer to the IS "on" vs. IS "off" question, unless its already been done and someone can share.

And yes, you can train your 2 year old (hardly an old dog). Eva is 3 and as you progress in the sport earning your BH, SchI, SchII, and SchIII titles there are more things the dog must learn with each higher level. Your dog will probably enjoy the attention and training will provide an outlet for his/her energy. It's good for the mental and physical fitness of both dog and owner.