Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some images from Christmas in Charlotte
Posted By: Tyler, 12-30-2007, 02:30 PM

We headed on over to Charlotte as we usually do for Christmas to visit our relatives. Here are some images I snapped while there. K100D and either A 50mm f2, 70-200mm 2.8 or 18-55mm. Some with my brand new AF-360 as well.

Exif is intact.

50mm w/ AF360

70-200mm

18-55mm

50mm

50mm w/ AF360

70-200mm

50mm

50mm w/ AF360

Love to hear some comments on these images
Views: 1,411
12-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Number 1 is a classic , #2 is well done colors are good. #3 is intersting but too dark for my liking, #4 has great bokeh and nice shot of dead leaves haning on, #5 is very well done really good lighting, #6 and #7 not my cup of tea so to speak and number 8 is well exposed for such a white subject(s). Overall well done I would say.
12-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Dave! One of the few good critiques I've gotten in a while!
12-30-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The shot of the Llasa is really cool....very nice shots.

12-30-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAndAPentax Quote
The shot of the Llasa is really cool....very nice shots.
Its actually a Maltese. His name is Winston and he only weighs 3lbs!!! Thanks for the kind words.
12-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Before bed bump
12-30-2007, 11:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tyler, If you are looking for a more detailed review of the shots, here's my opinion. But It's subjective and free so take it for what it's worth.

#1 Nice family snap that's sharp and well exposed. But basically a fun snap shot.
#2 Nice colour and interesting subject. Nice control of the DOF but I would have set the shot up differently. The lamp in the background is distracting and lines up right at the top of the main subject. Similar for the bottom elements. I would have removed the remote and the red thing behind the snowman. I might have either turned/moved (to see at least some of the face and not block the vase) the snowman or removed him from the shot.
#3 I like it and a great concept. Maybe crop a bit of the negative space on the bottom and left and see what that looks like. There are a couple of items on the left of the frame that distract from the subject.
#4 Nice shot. Good colour/exposure and bokeh
#5 Very well taken and framed. I like that he's not in the center of the frame and that he doesn't seem to know you took his picture. A good profile shot can really work and this one does. Nice light as well. The best shots are the ones with a flash that don't look like a flash was used.
#6 It's interesting but the White balance seems off and frankly it's not a shot that works for me but thats a matter of taste.
#7 Interesting point of view. I might have tried to focus lower down and let the tree trunk draw my eye up. As it is the bottom soft area seems to take something away. I might also have stopped down a little bit more to keep the background out of focus but a bit more of the tree trunk sharper. The bokeh is a bit harsh on the right side and this might be better shot earlier/later in the day or when the sky is blue. Those bright clouds make it hard for any lens.
#8 Very cute capture. Nice expression and sharp image I like the limited DOF that isolated the dogs head and mid section. Makes him/her stand out. But (yeah there's always another but huh?) kill the lamp to the right. it messes with the WB and is a distraction.

Overall nice stuff and the only thing I would suggest is try to pay attention to all the details in the shot. I struggle with this all the time and you have to slow yourself down a little and study everything you see in the viewfinder. Try to eliminate the elements that take away from or do not add to your subject.

12-31-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you Peter! Thats exactly what I was looking for! I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. Cheers.
12-31-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
One last bump and then I will let it fall into the depths.