Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
LBA: Pentax A 35-105 F3.5 Macro
Posted By: NaClH2O, 12-30-2007, 02:48 PM

I got this just after Thanksgiving. I FINALLY got to use it on Christmas day and then again yesterday. Nice lens if a bit on the bulky side for a Pentax offering.
Pros and Cons
Pros: EXCELLENT Color rendition. I'm just amazed by this lens' color rendition. Check out the various shades of blue in the beach shots I've posted, and the "orange" tinge to the winter marsh grass, it really is that color but most lenses give it more of a 'straw' type color.
I like the way the "macro" is set up (it's not really a macro lens, just a good very close focusing lens) Don't know the image size but I'd say probably 1:2 or maybe 1:2.5, but that's just a guess. When you close focus as you get to the stop on the close side, you push the focus ring further forward, which puts you in close up mode. Once there you can focus either by using the focus ring or by using the zoom ring. Pretty flexible.
It's pretty sharp, not in the category of the SMC 135 F2.5 or the 77ltd but it's no slouch. Softer at 3.5, especially at the edges but it sharpens up nicely by 5.6 edge to edge. For an older zoom this is excellent performance.
Cons: External focus, and the front element rotates, this will make it hard to use polarizing and graduated ND filters.
It's a heavy lens, like all the older offerings, I don't like the way it balances on my K10D (haven't tried it on the DS yet). I haven't checked, but I think it's heavier than my 135, it certainly balances on the K10D worse.
My copy has a tiny bit of slop in the focus ring, which is annoying. I'm also finding it harder to focus than many of my other manual lenses, hopefully that will improve with practice, as I said I haven't had it long.
At F3.5, not a terribly fast zoom, but at least it's constant aperture.
OK lets get to some shots:
First some closeups: All shots taken with the K10D, SR set to 35mm
f3.5 at 1/50

f8.0 at 1/125

As you can see it's an excellent close up lens. Not a true macro like my Tamron 90 but it gets pretty close.

"Normal" mode
Saw this bunch of roses just below the high tide line. I wonder what their story is? f9.0 at 1/200

The obligatory perspective shot, I liked the shadows from the storm fencing. f11 at 1/100

By now you all know how much I love reflection shots f9.0 at 1/60

Loved the colors in this one, including the approach channel buoys on the extreme right, and yeah I know I'm violating the rule of thirds regarding the duck, but sometimes ya just gotta break the rules. f6.3 at 1/320

check out all the different shades of blue in this one! f6.3 at 1/400

Well, you just CAN'T go to the beach without getting the sunset! (even if it is over the parking lot f6.3 at 1/250

Hope you all enjoyed them. Overall I'd say this lens is a 'keeper'. For more shots with this lens check out this gallery at my smug mug site:
saltwater : photos : LBA: Pentax A 35-105 F3.5 "Macro"- powered by SmugMug

NaCl(it took a while but it was worth it, any C&C always appreciated)H2O
Views: 4,663
12-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Forum Member

Those roses really do get your mind thinking. I've always believed that pictures can tell a story that words cannot, but that's one picture where I wish we had words to go with.
12-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice photos, seems to be a very capable lens. As to the last photo: beautiful shot but I can remember what the skies looked like "before wapor trails".

Take care, Heinrich
12-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

She looks like a keeper there Salty. I love the she sells sea shells by the sea shore shot. The grains of sand are spectacular. You are right in the ability to capture the subtle changes of the water - I like it. Nice bokeh in #1 - I am anxiously awaiting my first true macro lens and looking forward to it.

Last edited by daacon; 12-31-2007 at 08:20 AM.
12-30-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just took mine out today for the first time Salty. Everything here is snow covered, it snowed again last night. Low dark clouds. The lighting is flat and dull. I didn't really get a picture worthy of posting but I took enough pictures to know I love this lens:-). The color in your pictures is amazing. I can't wait to get a pic of a big Cutthroat or Rainbow or Brown with this lens:-). It's going to be a long long couple of months.
It is heavy hanging around your neck, that's for sure, but I like the heft, it feels good to me. Great build quality and like you've shown, great IQ. I can't wait to see more of your work with this lens.
12-30-2007, 11:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Try spending an hour or so shooting the thing in portrait orientation....real wrist killer. Lovely lens but I've decided the next time I use mine like that it's going on the monopod.
12-31-2007, 12:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes Salty, It's a very good lens. I had one for several years and sold mine about a year ago (of course to fuel more LBA =43mm Ltd) Sorta wish I hadn't sold it but these eyes depend more on AF nowadays. The macro feature is nice to have without changing lenses.

I suspect your copy could uses a CLA someday. I remember mine to have a very tight smooth focus ring that wasn't loose at all. In fact I think it was one of my more accurate lenses to manually focus. Colour and flare control was excellent with this lens.

12-31-2007, 01:02 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

I like Nos 2.5.6. And yep, it seems to be an awsome lens..
12-31-2007, 07:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Salty, if I may post a picture in your thread....
This is from my copy of the A 35-105/3.5. I want to post it here because it's so different from your pics and will give folks another perspective to this lens's rendering.
f4.5 @ 1/125

This is my first A series lens and I'm disappointed that the zoom setting is not picked up by the exif data. What's up with that? It tells me what zoom setting I was shooting with with my Sigma and the kit lens. This is still my main complaint with Pentax DSLRs. I would have paid more to not have the crippled mount. If I remember correctly this shot was probably zoomed out all the way or close to it but the 100mm you see in the exif data is what I inputted into the shake reduction.

Last edited by Eaglerapids; 12-31-2007 at 08:02 AM.
12-31-2007, 04:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My copy suffers severe CA wide open. That is the only thing I am not happy with.
12-31-2007, 04:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice and rich colour in deed. The details and composition are all great.

A great copy you have there
12-31-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the comments, just a note to EagleRapids, as far as I know there is no A, M, or K lens that transmits focal length data to the camera, I don't think there is a contact on the lens for it. So it's a lens problem not a camera mount problem. Least ways that's what I understand. If I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will correct me.

ddhytz, I didn't notice much CA at all, but I must admit I didn't test it wide open.

daacon, which lens did you decide on? there are a bunch of good choices out there. I've got a slightly older Tamron (no Digital optimized coating) that I just plain love.

Mike Cash, no thanks, I don't think I'd want to hold it in portrait mode for 1/2 and hour much less twice that. I can see where you'd want a mono.

Peter ZacK, tell you what. I'll trade you...the 35-100 for the 43ltd, just think you'd be getting a zoom and you'd only have to give up a prime! Great deal huh?

Happy new year everybody! and thanks for looking!

NaCl(now what should I get?...I'll just have to save for the 12-24)H2O
12-31-2007, 05:37 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Salty, Sorry the 43 isn't up for trades at the moment. But you suggest a hellava deal for one side. now if that zoom was f1.9 and sharp wide open....

You're right about the EXIF data though. These lenses were built long before the PZ series was even considered. This lens was discontinued 18 years ago. Even if the mount wasn't crippled, there's no contacts to transmit any information back to the body. This is AF territory only as far as I know.
12-31-2007, 06:28 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duh, THAT'S what's different, autofocus. I hate it when I show everybody how dumb I am:-).
12-31-2007, 11:41 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First auto focus lens I obtained for my *istd. About $US25 (at the time) with an attached non-functional SFXn which turned out only to need a new battery.