Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Dividing by Zero: Mama's New Ride
Posted By: Sailor, 01-29-2012, 06:11 PM

Because our Honda Accord - bought new in 2000, the 3rd car in our menagerie, my wife's daily driver and the family workhorse - was well into its 13th year and was approaching 100,000 miles, we began thinking about new cars last fall. Originally, we seriously thought about decreasing the "fleet" to two cars (selling the Honda and trading our Bimmer), but we ultimately decided that we really like the flexibility of a 3-car configuration and would simply replace the old gal with a new vehicle. I was stunned when Connie declared that she'd like a small, inexpensive SUV, a class of automobile that I regard with a dim view. However, while I'm replete with shortcomings, I don't lack a sense of fairness; for over four decades, Connie has supported all of my automotive acquisitions, some of which were . . . . . . preposterous. So I said, "Why not?" and on Friday we traded for a Nissan Rogue, the choice of which was based on her criteria, which I never fully understood.

Upon hearing the news that we actually bought an SUV, my older daughter (a math teacher) said she felt as if someone had divided by zero and the world was no longer the same. Anyway, here are some pics hurriedly shot yesterday and this PM.

Jer

From the front:

From the back:

The new Workhorse pulls her weight:

Views: 2,186
01-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is it still under Warranty????? You better take it back, they put the bloody steering wheel on the wrong side!!!!!!!!

01-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Is it still under Warranty????? You better take it back, they put the bloody steering wheel on the wrong side!!!!!!!!
Hey EM - that's why I got such a good deal.

Jer
01-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Oooohhhh!! Nice! As I mentioned in another post, my lovely wife is fairly well intersted in a "small" SUV. We'll be looking at the Washington Auto Show this weekend. She thinks she might be interested in the Murano as well as the Rogue. She had 2 Maximas in recent years and we both like Nissan products (I drive a 2002 Frontier). I'm glad your wife is happy with her new toy. The only thing I see wrong with the vehicle is the package in the rear. Bud Light, really???
01-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Those wives sure got us figured out! I will not show this post to my wife, who is driving a 10 year SUV with over a 100,000 miles, as I am sure it would cost me big time. Nice looking ride and I see you the back holds everything you need for a great road trip! [Clothes optional] Cheers JIMBO

01-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Oooohhhh!! Nice! As I mentioned in another post, my lovely wife is fairly well intersted in a "small" SUV. We'll be looking at the Washington Auto Show this weekend. She thinks she might be interested in the Murano as well as the Rogue. She had 2 Maximas in recent years and we both like Nissan products (I drive a 2002 Frontier). I'm glad your wife is happy with her new toy. The only thing I see wrong with the vehicle is the package in the rear. Bud Light, really???
Hey, man - thanks much. A month ago, I didn't know one compact or midsize SUV from another, and I was astonished at the number of rather generic offerings available in this market space. Connie picked the Rogue because she liked its looks, we could buy it locally and other reasons that remain a bit of mystery to me. I can tell you that a Rogue, with the SL package Lauren mentioned above, offers a lot of bang for the buck with a street price in the mid 20s. But choice of a car, like choice of a beer , is personal and can't be translated from one person to another. Have fun looking.

Jer
01-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Those wives sure got us figured out! I will not show this post to my wife, who is driving a 10 year SUV with over a 100,000 miles, as I am sure it would cost me big time. Nice looking ride and I see you the back holds everything you need for a great road trip! [Clothes optional] Cheers JIMBO
Absolutely, JIM. I sure enjoyed your First Snow pics.

Jer
02-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey, man - thanks much. A month ago, I didn't know one compact or midsize SUV from another, and I was astonished at the number of rather generic offerings available in this market space. Connie picked the Rogue because she liked its looks, we could buy it locally and other reasons that remain a bit of mystery to me. I can tell you that a Rogue, with the SL package Lauren mentioned above, offers a lot of bang for the buck with a street price in the mid 20s. But choice of a car, like choice of a beer , is personal and can't be translated from one person to another. Have fun looking.

Jer

If she will let your drive it, I would love some feedback on what you think. The local Mama is getting serious about a new skateboard and that is one of the models under consideration.

02-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
If she will let your drive it, I would love some feedback on what you think. The local Mama is getting serious about a new skateboard and that is one of the models under consideration.
I've only driven our Rogue a couple of times; I've mostly just ridden in the car while I set up all the electronic gizmos. Even so, my initial impressions are positive - particularly for such an inexpensive vehicle. I've found the steering to be well-weighted and gives decent feedback, especially given the car's type; also, the ride is supple, well-controlled and astonishingly (to me) quiet. I'm quite pleased with the way the Rogue manages the drought-ravaged, uneven concrete streets here in Lake Jackson. The drive train, which consists of a long-stroke, fairly torquey four and a continuously variable tranny (CVT), seems smooth and refined, but the CVT can result in the engine revs that don't match road speed (this is normal), which can feel a bit odd, but not noticeable most of the time. Note, however, we're sticking to break-in protocol and not pushing engine beyond 4000 rpm - so I don't know how the car will sound when you pour the coals to it. As with all SUVs (except a BMW X3) I've experienced as driver or passenger, there's some body motion owing to the car's high center of gravity, but if I don't pretend I'm at Sebring , I doubt that will be a serious issue.

I hope this is useful - you'll, of course, want to drive one yourself. As I said before, we're all wired a bit differently, and personal choices often don't translate to others.

Jer
02-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I do appreciate the comments. 99.9999% of my experiences in her new skateboard will be from the passenger seat. I would like to see her buy a 4 but due to the fact she goes to the hillier part of the state a few days each month she may need a v6. Some times you just have to get out of the coal trucks way. As long as I can enter and exit from a higher seat base than she currently has I will be happy as long as she is.
02-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I do appreciate the comments. 99.9999% of my experiences in her new skateboard will be from the passenger seat. I would like to see her buy a 4 but due to the fact she goes to the hillier part of the state a few days each month she may need a v6. Some times you just have to get out of the coal trucks way. As long as I can enter and exit from a higher seat base than she currently has I will be happy as long as she is.
The Rogue, isn't available with a 6, as I'm sure you know - nor are several others in the market space. In fact, I think the only small SUV with 6-banger is a RAV4. The VW Tiguan, Subaru Forester and the upcoming Ford Escape have or will have standard or optional turbo fours. I grew up in Southern Illinois and went to grad school in Nashville - so I know what you're talking about vis a vis hills and traffic.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 02-02-2012 at 07:43 PM.
02-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I forgot to mention that the headlights are aim-able (Up and down), and there is a "sport mode" as well as a traction control switch - at least on the SL.

I'm REALLY beginning to love my Rogue more than I thought I would.
02-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I forgot to mention that the headlights are aim-able (Up and down), and there is a "sport mode" as well as a traction control switch - at least on the SL.

I'm REALLY beginning to love my Rogue more than I thought I would.
I'm itching to give the "sport mode" a try, but I'll wait until we reach break-in mileage of 1200, which will take several months since we rarely put over 3000 miles on any of our three cars during the year - I'm retired with no work commute, the kids are long-since graduated and there are no college trips and we travel on the big silver birds. Today, I tried playing with the nav for the first time - works well, and it's cool that music (from FM, XM, iPod, CD) fades into the background when the female voice utters a navigational imperative.

Jer
02-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Oh break down, fill up the tank and tool around for a few pleasure rides to get the mileage up there. Surely you can find some excuse to drive the rascal about.

I did not know about no 6. We are just started the research. Neither of us have looked at new wheels since 1997 so we are pretty out of touch. My pickup is just getting well broke in at 160K and I do not plan to replace it any time soon. She doesn't really need a new one either, but she has the itch so I suspect it will happen.
02-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh break down, fill up the tank and tool around for a few pleasure rides to get the mileage up there. Surely you can find some excuse to drive the rascal about.

I did not know about no 6. We are just started the research. Neither of us have looked at new wheels since 1997 so we are pretty out of touch. My pickup is just getting well broke in at 160K and I do not plan to replace it any time soon. She doesn't really need a new one either, but she has the itch so I suspect it will happen.
Do a test drive before you rule out a 4-banger. If you haven't looked since '97, you'll notice some changes.

Jer
02-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Oh we will do that. I am not completely convinced she needs the 6. But then I don't drive those roads. In the past when I went SE I did it in a 4. There is one place with a 6 mile upgrade where the program in the cruise control finally said I can't this no mo. Other than that I never really minded.