Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dividing by Zero: Mama's New Ride
Lens: DA 35/2.8 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Another World 
Posted By: Sailor, 01-29-2012, 06:11 PM

Because our Honda Accord - bought new in 2000, the 3rd car in our menagerie, my wife's daily driver and the family workhorse - was well into its 13th year and was approaching 100,000 miles, we began thinking about new cars last fall. Originally, we seriously thought about decreasing the "fleet" to two cars (selling the Honda and trading our Bimmer), but we ultimately decided that we really like the flexibility of a 3-car configuration and would simply replace the old gal with a new vehicle. I was stunned when Connie declared that she'd like a small, inexpensive SUV, a class of automobile that I regard with a dim view. However, while I'm replete with shortcomings, I don't lack a sense of fairness; for over four decades, Connie has supported all of my automotive acquisitions, some of which were . . . . . . preposterous. So I said, "Why not?" and on Friday we traded for a Nissan Rogue, the choice of which was based on her criteria, which I never fully understood.

Upon hearing the news that we actually bought an SUV, my older daughter (a math teacher) said she felt as if someone had divided by zero and the world was no longer the same. Anyway, here are some pics hurriedly shot yesterday and this PM.

Jer

From the front:

From the back:

The new Workhorse pulls her weight:

Views: 2,191
01-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see that you got a lift home for some things for yourself in the last shot!
01-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jer, that Rogue came "fully equipped" for sure. Congrats!!
01-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Love the car, love the color, love Nissan...Mrs Rupert had a Maxima and loved it. She drives a Ford Escape now, but we may look at those, it looks very sharp! Congrats to the Mrs!
Regards!

01-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Nice looking set of wheels Jer and it's good to see that you're keeping the economy going.--capn zap
01-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I see that you got a lift home for some things for yourself in the last shot!
I did, indeed. I thought I'd give the new car some practice with being the "family workhorse."

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Jer, that Rogue came "fully equipped" for sure. Congrats!!
Bob, I've never seen my wife as delighted and involved with a new car as she is with this one. It's got me scratching my head, but if she's happy, I'm happy.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Love the car, love the color, love Nissan...Mrs Rupert had a Maxima and loved it. She drives a Ford Escape now, but we may look at those, it looks very sharp! Congrats to the Mrs!
Regards!
Thanks Rupert. We saw the new generation Escape at the Houston auto show last week, and it looks enticing and differentiated from the pack that makes up this market space. The new Escape doesn't go into production until the spring, and since I generally won't buy a car in its first year or two of manufacture, the timing wasn't right for us. There's a new version of the Rogue appearing next year, as well.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice looking set of wheels Jer and it's good to see that you're keeping the economy going.--capn zap
Hey Capn, we're all doing what we can. Not my type of vehicle, but Connie seems to love it.

Jer
01-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

... when it comes to our respective wives' thought processes.. our is not to question why... our is but to do exactly as they want.....
a mathematical formula for a happy marriage... wishing mrs sailor many years of happy motoring.... dave m

01-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Awesome! We got one too! The same car in Black! I LOVE my Rog - U - EE.
01-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Beautiful vehicle, Jer! I love that color and it sure is clean and spiffy! Congrats on the new ride!
01-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Great looking wheels there Jer and I think you could increase the cargo 10 fold ! Pretty handy units these small SUV's we have one (Sportage) but then again we negotiate some winter roads on occasion (I know you use to drive in those - remeber the fun times ?). Good on ya!
01-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Queen of the Road

You should really show us how your sweetie looked while driving the car. This snap (MZ-S, FA 24-90, Fujicolor 400, September 2003) shows my wife's reaction to the local ordinary vehicle. 2002 Tundra V-8 4x4 SR5 (Captain's chairs, electric windows, etc.) bought new still on the lot in 2003. She saw it at the dealership in Lethbridge AB while getting our 1990 v-6 extra cab serviced. The salesman sent me pictures and I sent him money. I was working in Chicago at the time. This was taken during my next home trip. The pickup trucks outnumber the cars here, and very few of them are 2 WD, and they ALL have block heaters. And I know there is a scratch on the film.
Attached Images

01-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
... when it comes to our respective wives' thought processes.. our is not to question why... our is but to do exactly as they want.....
a mathematical formula for a happy marriage... wishing mrs sailor many years of happy motoring.... dave m
As usual, Dave, you are wisdom, itself. Thanks much for the best wishes.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Awesome! We got one too! The same car in Black! I LOVE my Rog - U - EE.
Thanks, Lauren - I think we'll get a big kick out of ours, as well. And that's coming from a sports car guy like me!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Beautiful vehicle, Jer! I love that color and it sure is clean and spiffy! Congrats on the new ride!
Thanks for the nice words, Lori. I've never seen my wife so happy with a new car.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Great looking wheels there Jer and I think you could increase the cargo 10 fold ! Pretty handy units these small SUV's we have one (Sportage) but then again we negotiate some winter roads on occasion (I know you use to drive in those - remeber the fun times ?). Good on ya!
Hey, thanks buddy. I think it'll work nicely for us. My 328i has a trunk, but it's just too small for some chores, and the Porsche is limited only to beer runs.

Jer
01-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You should really show us how your sweetie looked while driving the car. This snap (MZ-S, FA 24-90, Fujicolor 400, September 2003) shows my wife's reaction to the local ordinary vehicle. 2002 Tundra V-8 4x4 SR5 (Captain's chairs, electric windows, etc.) bought new still on the lot in 2003. She saw it at the dealership in Lethbridge AB while getting our 1990 v-6 extra cab serviced. The salesman sent me pictures and I sent him money. I was working in Chicago at the time. This was taken during my next home trip. The pickup trucks outnumber the cars here, and very few of them are 2 WD, and they ALL have block heaters. And I know there is a scratch on the film.
Great story, CR. I'll have to grab her pic in the new car. In the meantime I can repost an earlier shot of her driving my roadster.

Jer

01-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's really a neat car/SUV. I have about 8 motorcycles and we have an Armada that tows when needed. I was looking for something to replace my Xterra that wasn't so rough around the edges. The Rogue with the SL package, Aluminum wheels, Sunroof, Leather seats, hitch and homelink mirror was under $30k. It drives great, is quiet (when not accelerating) and is a fun car. The standard SAT Nav and iPod integration along with Bluetooth phone integration works GREAT!!

It really fills a neat niche and I'm glad there aren't too many out and about.

100% happy! Great value!

It's my neat little car since I don't need the Xterra and we hardly use the Armada when I'm not on a motorcycle!
01-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
It's really a neat car/SUV. I have about 8 motorcycles and we have an Armada that tows when needed. I was looking for something to replace my Xterra that wasn't so rough around the edges. The Rogue with the SL package, Aluminum wheels, Sunroof, Leather seats, hitch and homelink mirror was under $30k. It drives great, is quiet (when not accelerating) and is a fun car. The standard SAT Nav and iPod integration along with Bluetooth phone integration works GREAT!!

It really fills a neat niche and I'm glad there aren't too many out and about.

100% happy! Great value!

It's my neat little car since I don't need the Xterra and we hardly use the Armada when I'm not on a motorcycle!
A pretty good description of the car, I'd say. The "electronics suite" on the Rogue SL is pretty amazing given its price; The iPod and sat radio interface is far better than that on my '08 BMW (which I - unfortunately - ordered without iDrive), and the voice activated Bluetooth is truly cool. Today, we performed our normal "new car" ritual by waxing and claying the Rogue - tomorrow we'll give "Big Red" a polish and wax before I take on the SatNav.

Jer