Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Saugus snow squall
Lens: Pentax 18-250 mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: Saugus Ma ISO: 6400 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: charliezap, 01-30-2012, 06:46 AM

It was snowing when I got up at 8AM.I turned on the laptop to see how wide spread it was and lo and behold it was centered right over Saugus and the North Shore of Ma. only. The radar screen shows that it was very localized.I used the K5's HDR program (Level 1) to balance the tough lighting at the moment.New England weather does change on a dime.--charliezap
Name:  saugus snow squall.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  186.0 KB

Views: 528
01-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Brings back memories from all those decades in IL, TN, MA, OH and MI. We're supposed have highs in the 70s most of the week. I wouldn't mind a walk in the snow, Capn.

Jer
01-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That system passed through Syracuse last night and dumped about 2 inches. We're supposed to get another 4 to 6 inches of Lake Effect, but so far the band is staying to the north.
01-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wouldn't have known that picture was HDR if you hadn't said something.

A friendly reminder for your laptop, please try to use an alternative browser like Google Chrome (My favorite) or Mozilla Firefox or Opera. All of these are a lot better than Internet Explorer 8 that you are currently using. Or at least upgrade to Internet Explorer 9. This will save you from a lot of malware, viruses and other junk on the internet.

01-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Brings back memories from all those decades in IL, TN, MA, OH and MI. We're supposed have highs in the 70s most of the week. I wouldn't mind a walk in the snow, Capn.

Jer
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That system passed through Syracuse last night and dumped about 2 inches. We're supposed to get another 4 to 6 inches of Lake Effect, but so far the band is staying to the north.
The winter here has been very benign so far.Above normal temps and only 7" of snow for the season.---capn zap
01-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
The winter here has been very benign so far.Above normal temps and only 7" of snow for the season.---capn zap
Last night's snow brought to total for the year to 28.6 inches. We're still on pace for the least snowy winter ever.

The lake band that set up north of the Syracuse was really bad, they got about 2 feet up there.
01-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Charlie that is a very nice picture! You have a wonderful spot for your computer.... you can sit and gaze out the window while contemplating your next post processing technique! btw, we got a couple of feet of snow over the weekend. It is absolutely gorgeous!
01-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

hard to believe this winter charlie.... but.. we've still got february... waiting for that other shoe to drop... btw... miss watching those
boston stations... can't get'em here with cox... grew up with 4,5,7,38,56..... great memories.... dave m

01-31-2012, 06:04 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
Wouldn't have known that picture was HDR if you hadn't said something.

A friendly reminder for your laptop, please try to use an alternative browser like Google Chrome (My favorite) or Mozilla Firefox or Opera. All of these are a lot better than Internet Explorer 8 that you are currently using. Or at least upgrade to Internet Explorer 9. This will save you from a lot of malware, viruses and other junk on the internet.
I should have posted the original taken without the HDR.There is a difference even though the K5 was set to the minimal level of HDR.----charliezap
01-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

nice use of the K-5 filters again Charlie. I use the Weather Channel gold site for tracking weather, works well. I saw some snow in Colorado last year, it scared me and I went south very quickly. Beware of those falling icicles.