Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Playa Potrero
Camera: K5 Photo Location: Playa Potrero, Costa Rica 
Posted By: daacon, 01-30-2012, 03:48 PM

We stayed in a very nice B&B (really too nice to be called a B&B ) in a small town called Playa Potrero about a hour south west of Liberia. You really get a feel for the local culture as this is a small town. Most of the beaches are empty (save all the locals fishing for protien for their rice and beans). It really makes one appreacite what one has when you see what others get by with, Here are a few from a short walk about.

This is the beach we would take morning walks on about 100 meters from our room - never crowed just a little slice of heaven

I remember this guy (or his borther , sister, son, daughter, grandkid , etc) from last year the colors of these roosters are stunning and there are chickens running rampart all over town - always wondered how do they know whose is whose ?

Here is the main drag on Potrero - dirt road - increadible amout of dust (most local vendors water the street daily to keep the dust down , water is not a scarce commodity here), the rich will have trucks pour molasses on the roads this last about 3 - 5 months cost about $300 for 150 meters - as an fyi the average wage in this area is approximatley $500 - $800 month. Walking and bikes are the preferred mode of transport as cars are cost prohibitive for most people that live there (you do see a few motocyles - dirt bikes mostly)

One the local homes - I have seen some that were 10x10 shacks where 4 or 5 people live - it's an eye opener for sure

A few locals fishing off the beach shore again to hopefully catch some fish for supper .... and of course just another amazing sunset a daily occurance here.

Last edited by daacon; 01-30-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Views: 731
01-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those pictures of warm weather climes are making me envious but in less than 30 days I'll be in Naples Fl for a whole month away from home which will be my longest vacation by far.---charliezap
01-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

great dave... i've got frozen and snowy beaches to shoot.. and you're gallivanting about in the tropics... ain't fair..
beautiful shots of an idyllic locale... dave m
01-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave, really enjoyed the view and narrative, makes me think it would be great to retire in a place like this. Heck I retired once, why not do it again.

01-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Those pictures of warm weather climes are making me envious but in less than 30 days I'll be in Naples Fl for a whole month away from home which will be my longest vacation by far.---charliezap
Thanks Capt'n - outstanding I wish you nothing but blue skies , sunny days, a warn breeze and cold beers. I have never taken more than two weeks myself so envious enjoy !

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
great dave... i've got frozen and snowy beaches to shoot.. and you're gallivanting about in the tropics... ain't fair..
beautiful shots of an idyllic locale... dave m
Thanks Dave , I am back in the tundra myself (albiet it is mild here) and I have no beaches to shoot snowy or otherwise ! It's great to get away , great to get home then 3 days later you want to get away again

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Dave, really enjoyed the view and narrative, makes me think it would be great to retire in a place like this. Heck I retired once, why not do it again.
Thanks Bob, appreciate the comments. Indeed anything worth doing is worth doing twice ! We are considering that as well, Costa Rica seem affordable (assuming you don't want beach front) - a word of warning though - if you are seriously considering this do your due dillegence - lots of corrupt contractors , delveopers there - stories of people going through 2 or 3 companies to get a house built. There are honest and good buisnesses there as well but unfortunatley the former is more common. We have a great contact there so if we do make any moves I will make sure to talk to them first.
01-31-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You have cut a path of reality through this oasis Dave. I can feel the lifestyle through your images... a gorgeous almost empty beach, the quiet with no roars of transport trucks or cars, the smell of molasses((!!!)) ... looks like you selected a very interesting and beautiful place to stay. thank you for sharing... I keep going back for another look !
01-31-2012, 06:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some great shots, buddy - an interesting look at paradise combined with the reality of near poverty that so many endure. You must have researched pretty carefully to find such an unspoiled place.

Jer
01-31-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Nice series Dave. Love the rooster shot especially. The colors of chickens never seize to amaze me. Hearing about the area and how the people live was a nice bonus.

01-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
You have cut a path of reality through this oasis Dave. I can feel the lifestyle through your images... a gorgeous almost empty beach, the quiet with no roars of transport trucks or cars, the smell of molasses((!!!)) ... looks like you selected a very interesting and beautiful place to stay. thank you for sharing... I keep going back for another look !
Thanks Tess we were very much imersed in local culture - that said there are alos quite a few Canadians and Eurpopeans close by (the rich ones ).

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Some great shots, buddy - an interesting look at paradise combined with the reality of near poverty that so many endure. You must have researched pretty carefully to find such an unspoiled place.
Jer
Thanks Jer - my research included having a brother-in-law who has been there since 1995 and he built the B&B (Casa Melray if you ever want to check it out) - he is who I aspire to be - somewhere between very well off and stinking rich

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Nice series Dave. Love the rooster shot especially. The colors of chickens never seize to amaze me. Hearing about the area and how the people live was a nice bonus.
Thanks Susan - I agree the roosters colors (and some of chickens) are very vibriant. They are also 'normal' sized unlike the chemical enchanced, big breasted , factory produced chickens we have in North America.
01-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Dave, beautiful images. Looks like a great trip and it is always interesting to see howe other parts of the world live. JIM
01-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Dave, beautiful images. Looks like a great trip and it is always interesting to see howe other parts of the world live. JIM
Thanks Jim it was a good time indeed.