Random People 1-31-12
Posted By: outsider, 01-31-2012, 12:32 AM

Views: 734
01-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Always enjoy these! Some nice shooting as usual. I like "Extraordinary" the best because it will be fitting in another 40 years when those honkers scrape the floor......that too will be "extraordinary"!
Regards!
01-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
These are some great shots, blemishes and all. I know it is probably my age, but I seriously do not understand all of the face piercings.
02-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm just curious, how do you approach these people? Is there a standard line you use? This is the hardest part to me of street photography, which is odd because I talk for a living. I guess it's different when I don't have a microphone and transmitter between me and the people I'm talking to.

02-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Truly nice shots in deed, but why do you consistently cut off the top of peoples heads ? Not that I mind just curious.

Greetings
02-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the 'eyes' have it... the 4th shot.. looks like a young brian wilson of the beach boys... always enjoy your pedestrian portraits ...fascinating.. dave m
02-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Love these shots; great lighting on most of the shots and the eyes just draw you in. What 85mm are you shooting with on some of these shots? Do you find people get a bit intimidated by the larger piece of glass being pointed their way?
02-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
I'm just curious, how do you approach these people? Is there a standard line you use? This is the hardest part to me of street photography, which is odd because I talk for a living. I guess it's different when I don't have a microphone and transmitter between me and the people I'm talking to.
I just go up to them and ask "You guys wanna take a picture?". Generally, this is just what I say. From then on, I just kind of modify my words based on their reception/response People are more intimidated by ones body language than what you say. I've noticed this, and have become much better at keeping a relaxed, confident approach over the last year. Some will say "yes" almost before you've finished saying, some will stop in the headlights and give you a curious look up and down, very few will have no time even to respond/look at you. Each type of social engagement is different and requires a unique adoption. I might be a little better at interacting with a group of people than something 1 on 1.

02-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Truly nice shots in deed, but why do you consistently cut off the top of peoples heads ? Not that I mind just curious.

Greetings
90% of the portraits are not cropped in post. It's just as I see in the viewfinder. I leave out the tops of the head because I like to get close for the intimate feel. I also like the way the shot looks with a bit of the neck supporting the head. The eyes are the most important thing. I just prefer this kind of composition, I spose. Dunno why. Although there are times when I know a less cramped shot will work better, so I'll step back a bit to give the head more breathing room.
02-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Love these shots; great lighting on most of the shots and the eyes just draw you in. What 85mm are you shooting with on some of these shots? Do you find people get a bit intimidated by the larger piece of glass being pointed their way?
I'm using a Nikon 85mm 1.4 D lens on most. I've heard people say that a bigger lens/camera just be too intimidating and that's why they use a compact for street portraits/photography. But my experience is that if you can get the subject to feel comfortable with you, the camera sort of disappears I've never noticed it's size being intimidating. Except for those street people that may have outstanding warrants for their arrest. I occassionally use the tamron 70-200mm 2.8 macro on my pentax k-x for street portraits and that combo is HUGE. People always seem perfectly o.k.
« First Snow | HDR »