Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2012 Houston Auto Show - Porsche's New Gen 911 [9 IMG]
Camera: Panasonic LX5 Photo Location: Reliant Center, Houston, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 02-02-2012, 07:35 PM

During our visit to the Houston auto show last week, we spent much of our time trudging from one small SUV to another only to end up buying the one my wife wanted in the first place. However, I did some time looking at cars that I dig. As a Porsche driver and (for now at least) a GIN-U-INE Porscheophile, I was most interested in the new generation (991 series) of the 911 Carrera S that will be available this month. Frankly, the casual observer couldn't be blamed for being unable to distinguish the new car from those that have gone on before, but the next gen car has an entirely new architecture, which will serve upcoming 911 variations as well as the mid-engine Boxster and Cayman. The new Carrera is about 4 inches longer, a couple of inches lower and around 80 lbs lighter than the previous version; engines are more powerful derivatives of earlier ones, but the standard transmission will be a seven-speed manual with the 7-gear twin clutch sequential tranny continuing as an option. Here are some shots of a silver Carrera S on display.

Jer

With all this chrome jewelry on the backend, one wonders whether the new 911 caught a virus from Lexus or Caddy ; it's good that Porsche always offers "model designation deletion" as a no-cost option:

Last edited by Sailor; 02-02-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Views: 1,953
02-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh is that a sweet ride!
02-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazing the way they change every piece of sheet metal on that car every three years, yet it always remains a 911. Cars are the hardest photographs on earth - you did well. #2 is beguiling!
02-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bet they would give you a nice trade in Jer, something to think about in the future.

02-03-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tpg2 Quote
Oh is that a sweet ride!
It is that, for sure. Thanks for looking.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Amazing the way they change every piece of sheet metal on that car every three years, yet it always remains a 911. Cars are the hardest photographs on earth - you did well. #2 is beguiling!
I certainly appreciate the kind words. Yeah, Porsche is very careful with the 911 - and its iconic shape is a consequence of the car's real-engine configuration.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I bet they would give you a nice trade in Jer, something to think about in the future.
It crossed my mind, Bob. In addition to the new versions of the Porsche sports cars, the C-7 'Vette is going to show up soon, and with a new 3-series just introduced, it won't be long until a new M3 makes an appearance. Lots of new stuff on the way, so if and when I "suck all the new juice" out my Boxster, there'll plenty to explore.

Jer
02-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beautiful sexy lines of this new carrera..... i wish more manufacturers would offer (free) to remove some very garish nameplates....
think i'm in love..... from afar..... dave m
02-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ohhh not a real car guy but if I was ...... that Porsche would have my name on it - I am just 6 numbers away (and the bonus number) from owning it !

02-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Have you ordered one Jer? You know mama just got a new one!! JIMBO
02-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
beautiful sexy lines of this new carrera..... i wish more manufacturers would offer (free) to remove some very garish nameplates....
think i'm in love..... from afar..... dave m
Thanks for looking, my friend. Yeah, this Carrera S is a pricey one with all the options - over 120 grand .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Ohhh not a real car guy but if I was ...... that Porsche would have my name on it - I am just 6 numbers away (and the bonus number) from owning it !
It's absolutely gorgeous to me, as well, Dave. But . . . . . . over 100 grand is a bunch of money.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Have you ordered one Jer? You know mama just got a new one!! JIMBO
I would, JIM - but what would I use for money?

Jer
02-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Gotta love Porsche...always have, always will.....can't afford one, so I've had to come down a peg or two.....so we just took delivery of a new C63.....so look out you Porsche drivers....maybe we won't be too far behind!
Cheers, Pickles.
02-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Gotta love Porsche...always have, always will.....can't afford one, so I've had to come down a peg or two.....so we just took delivery of a new C63.....so look out you Porsche drivers....maybe we won't be too far behind!
Cheers, Pickles.
Hey, Pickles - you could probably catch mine with an old geezer like me driving it . Since I only have a partial understanding of what models are what in Australia - would you tell me what a C63 is and, if you want to go to the trouble, post a pic? Thanks.

Jer
02-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Great shots of a great looking car. Not my style, and not my price range, but I love to look! Thanks for the views!
The styling remaining similar is what I k like about my 15 year old Wrangler......it always looks new when washed and waxed.
Regards!
02-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey, Pickles - you could probably catch mine with an old geezer like me driving it . Since I only have a partial understanding of what models are what in Australia - would you tell me what a C63 is and, if you want to go to the trouble, post a pic? Thanks.

Jer
I will post a photo up, but wifey will have to do it....I'm hopeless on computer stuff!
But....a C63!?
Well a "C63" is an ordinary "C Class" Mercedes, which normally has a 2L to 3.5L engine....it's quite a small Mercedes.
The C63 utilises the same body, but is "modified" & produced by A.M.G. in Germany, A.M.G. being Mercedes "high performance" arm.
So, the C63 has a 460HP 6.2L V8 implanted with a 7 speed auto, the auto having 4 different drive modes, including "race start",paddle shift etc....AMG also install a wider front track, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, better interior etc. We didn't stop there...we ordered the "Performance Package", which has an even more powerful engine..around 490 horse-power, and a few other nice little extras.
Only had it a couple of weeks.....going away tomorrow for a few days...for some good driving!
Cheers, Pickles.
02-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Great shots of a great looking car. Not my style, and not my price range, but I love to look! Thanks for the views!
The styling remaining similar is what I k like about my 15 year old Wrangler......it always looks new when washed and waxed.
Regards!
Thanks, my friend. Interesting and apt comparison, since both the 911 and Wrangler are iconic vehicles, and neither manufacturer is likely to stray too for away from styling that defines these cars.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
I will post a photo up, but wifey will have to do it....I'm hopeless on computer stuff!
But....a C63!?
Well a "C63" is an ordinary "C Class" Mercedes, which normally has a 2L to 3.5L engine....it's quite a small Mercedes.
The C63 utilises the same body, but is "modified" & produced by A.M.G. in Germany, A.M.G. being Mercedes "high performance" arm.
So, the C63 has a 460HP 6.2L V8 implanted with a 7 speed auto, the auto having 4 different drive modes, including "race start",paddle shift etc....AMG also install a wider front track, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, better interior etc. We didn't stop there...we ordered the "Performance Package", which has an even more powerful engine..around 490 horse-power, and a few other nice little extras.
Only had it a couple of weeks.....going away tomorrow for a few days...for some good driving!
Cheers, Pickles.
Duh . . . . I didn't even think of a C-Class, and it turns out the AMG model has the same C63 designation here in the States and I was looking at one at the auto show just over a week ago . You'd easily dispatch my Boxster - at least in a straight line - and I'm envious . . . but too old for that much juice . I like the current C-Class and will consider a C-350 when I replace my 328i.

Jer
02-09-2012, 04:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Thanks, my friend. Interesting and apt comparison, since both the 911 and Wrangler are iconic vehicles, and neither manufacturer is likely to stray too for away from styling that defines these cars.

Jer

Duh . . . . I didn't even think of a C-Class, and it turns out the AMG model has the same C63 designation here in the States and I was looking at one at the auto show just over a week ago . You'd easily dispatch my Boxster - at least in a straight line - and I'm envious . . . but too old for that much juice . I like the current C-Class and will consider a C-350 when I replace my 328i.

Jer
"TOO OLD"?..Rubbish.....I'm 67!
Cheers, Pickles.