Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Palo Verde National Park
Lens: DA* 50-135 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Palo Verde, Costa Rica 
Posted By: daacon, 02-03-2012, 07:43 AM

We took a two hour tour down the Tempisque River in the Palo Verde National Park. Our guide was very informative and for me it was a real treat to some native wildlife.

You know it's a great tour when before we drove to the boat our guide asked if we wanted to fill a cooler full of cervesa's which of course we did

One side of the river was a National Park and the other side was Private. I believe Costa Rica has set aside almost 1/3 of their land mass as National Park. So much to see there in a very small country.

Here is our vessel of choice - very comfortable , however I did notice a burn on my arm from leaning out and taking shots. The sun is very unforgiving there

About 2 minutes into the trip we noticed these guys (I am terrible at remembering species name - some sort of huge lizard ha!) , impressive size for sure

Lots of birds, we say mostly egrets and herons. I had my 55-300 with me however I much prefer the shots from the DA* 50-135 and we got close enough for most shots ,I really wish I did have the DA* 60-250 or a DA* 300 (almost bought one before we left). I left the Bigma at home as I am getting better at assembling a 'travel kit' for lenses only brought 4 this time ! (last year I brought 12 huge back pack and it was a PIA since I only used about 4)

I have quite a few shots from this trip of some more of Costa Rican wild life and will post those later.
Views: 946
02-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That looks like a lot of fun! Sitting in a boat, soaking up the scenery and taking beautiful shots of wildlife...my kind of adventure!
Great shots Dave...your shots of the lizards are perfect! Keep you photos coming!
Tom
02-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots - looks like a fun safari-type adventure! I believe those are iguanas hanging out in the trees. Looking forward to seeing more - tfs!
02-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that is the way to take a cruise, reminds me of the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland with real wildlife. Keep them coming Dave.

02-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Looks like so far so good with the fewer lens choices Dave - Nice shots.
Isn't it amazing how somehow you can still get shots w/o having every weapon in the arsenal along? I had to learn that lesson myself.
My DA* 50-135 is the "default" lens I leave on my camera the bulk of the time.

Tim
02-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The lizard pics Dave remind me of Aruba.At poolside if you put a drink down they would love the cherry in any drink made with one.--charliezap
02-04-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tpg2 Quote
That looks like a lot of fun! Sitting in a boat, soaking up the scenery and taking beautiful shots of wildlife...my kind of adventure!
Great shots Dave...your shots of the lizards are perfect! Keep you photos coming!
Tom
Thanks Tom - it was a grat couple of hours that went by oh so fast.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Nice shots - looks like a fun safari-type adventure! I believe those are iguanas hanging out in the trees. Looking forward to seeing more - tfs!
Thanks Paul -I thibk you may be right, but I thought he mentioned something else ,but what the hell for now we will call then Iguanas

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Now that is the way to take a cruise, reminds me of the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland with real wildlife. Keep them coming Dave.
Thanks Bob it was a relaing way to see the sites for sure. And our Captian "Hawk Eye" was excellent he saw thing that the rest of us just missed.

QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
Looks like so far so good with the fewer lens choices Dave - Nice shots.
Isn't it amazing how somehow you can still get shots w/o having every weapon in the arsenal along? I had to learn that lesson myself.
My DA* 50-135 is the "default" lens I leave on my camera the bulk of the time.
Tim
Thanks Tim I hear ya - I think I am one lens short on a trip like this - the DA* 60-250 or DA* 300 - I remember last year doing about a 5k trek into the rain forest carrying about 50lbs on my back of camera gear - I am slowly learning. I'll bet 80%+ of my shots were with the DA 12-24. (aside from this Safari of course).

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
The lizard pics Dave remind me of Aruba.At poolside if you put a drink down they would love the cherry in any drink made with one.--charliezap
Thanks Charlie that would be a site to see - my son showed a Youtube vide of Drunken Monkeys doing just that stealing drinks - it was funny.

02-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Holy catfish Batman, I wouldn't want those lizards hanging over my head. Nice series of shots.
02-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fine captures dave... that's one big honking motor on the 'cactus 2'.... dave m
02-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What and adventure so well captured, Dave! We once (foolishly) bought an Iguana, which grew like a weed; after a couple of hundred bucks in increasingly large cages, we sold him (his name was Spike) to a breeder and collector.

Jer
02-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Holy catfish Batman, I wouldn't want those lizards hanging over my head. Nice series of shots.
I am with you Susan nice to see from a secured location

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
fine captures dave... that's one big honking motor on the 'cactus 2'.... dave m
Thanks Dave I assume to make quick getaways from the Crocks ....

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
What and adventure so well captured, Dave! We once (foolishly) bought an Iguana, which grew like a weed; after a couple of hundred bucks in increasingly large cages, we sold him (his name was Spike) to a breeder and collector.
Jer
Thanks Jer it was a great way to sepnd a couple of hours for sure. haah I have a mental image of your growing lizzard too funny.