Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Even the Griswalls would be jealous
Posted By: daacon, 12-31-2007, 07:24 PM

Likley my last picture post of 2007. We had heard about this house in the northeast part of Edmonton and tonight we decided to check it out. It was amazing. Every outside window had something christmas related displayed. You have to see it in person. I took about 30 shots and that was not enough to show it all. When I came back to look at my 20 strands of lights, and various reefs and solar snowmen - well I felt let's say somewhat inadequate

Here are a few samples

The side of the house

Even the roof had a dozen displays

Front of the house (yes a lot of people stopped to see - they had a donation set up for diabetes so that was good)

A few yard displays cause the house did not have enough

Well I hope that gives you an idea (there was soo much to see) wow what a display and power bill !

Happy New Year !

Last edited by daacon; 12-31-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Views: 2,658
12-31-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Dave, that is very good photography of what I think is a little over the top display. Just glad it's not my power bill.

Take care, Heinrich
12-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

They are in deed beautiful. These lightings are just amazing
12-31-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ha ha ha!

I finally remembered who the Griswalls are!

Chevy Chase and his family in the National Lampoon movies!

12-31-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave,

Season's Greetings and Happy New Year.

Wonderfully captured series of images. Felt like I was there.

Stephen
12-31-2007, 11:30 PM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What an execution of house christmas light photography. Were these handheld or tripod? I love how sharp each little light is, without smear or blur. Really great and quite the lesson in how to do it.

Regarding the subject, I like the side of the house a lot more then the front. That house was very well done inn all; somewhat over the top, but not hideously so like some of the houses around here. I'll have to go out and shoot them next year.

Merry New Year to all.
01-01-2008, 03:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Now this is how you capture Christmas lighting ... and just prior to the sky turning to black from dark blue/purple .... well done.

Indeed a phenomenal display ... and power bill to boot.

Thanks for sharing though ... I ahve enjoyed looking at these ... Christmas lights during winter work more effectively than our setups during Summer in Australia.

01-01-2008, 03:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I was just waiting for a picture of a red glare as the hydro cutouts let loose, or the hydro meter blew off the side of the house. I bet the neighbors just love the vehicles and crowds that this display pulls in. You just have to love the bigger is better approach.

Nice photographs (it looks like it was almost as bright as daylight - ha ha)
01-01-2008, 04:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Gaudy? Maybe, but not as much as some others I've seen. It must be a corner lot and what looks like a major intersection so I don't think the neighbours would really mind. Although most probably they would get involved.

Photography is great Dave - seems you hit the exposure RIGHT-ON. Many recommend that these type of shots are taken BEFORE it gets fully dark and I think this is how you did it.
01-01-2008, 04:31 AM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautifull shots Dave. I just think that the decoration is... how to put it... slightly excesive
But the shots are really nice, and well executed...
01-01-2008, 06:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice Christmas light Shots...beautiful colors....
01-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Hi Dave, that is very good photography of what I think is a little over the top display. Just glad it's not my power bill.

Take care, Heinrich
Thanks Heinrich - while for me it was over the top as well, I will have to admint it did not look guady , it was well thought out. And no kidding although they had flyer hand outs about the house with some corporate logos' (Home Hardware) and for the diabetes donations so maybe some of it was subsidized otherwise yeah I could see a $1k bill for electricity alone !

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
They are in deed beautiful. These lightings are just amazing
Thanks James my thought exactly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
Ha ha ha!

I finally remembered who the Griswalls are!

Chevy Chase and his family in the National Lampoon movies!
Bingo! Clarke Griswall in National Lampoon's Chirstmas Vacation - a classic I was hoping most have seen that movie.

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Dave,

Season's Greetings and Happy New Year.

Wonderfully captured series of images. Felt like I was there.

Stephen
Thansk Stephen - I will post a few more in the next reply.

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
What an execution of house christmas light photography. Were these handheld or tripod? I love how sharp each little light is, without smear or blur. Really great and quite the lesson in how to do it. The

Regarding the subject, I like the side of the house a lot more then the front. That house was very well done inn all; somewhat over the top, but not hideously so like some of the houses around here. I'll have to go out and shoot them next year.

Merry New Year to all.
Thanks m80 - These were hand held while bouncing on a pogo stick with one leg - Ok I will admit I have taken a few shots of my lights at night so I knew to bring the tripod. Becuase of all the lights most shutter speeds were between 0.3 - 1 sec so someone with a steadier hand than me may have been able to pull off hand held.

The Exif data is intact. There were all taken with what has become my favorite lens lately the DA 12-14 most wide open at f4 and at 12mm - I did wish I had the DA 10-17.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Now this is how you capture Christmas lighting ... and just prior to the sky turning to black from dark blue/purple .... well done.

Indeed a phenomenal display ... and power bill to boot.

Thanks for sharing though ... I ahve enjoyed looking at these ... Christmas lights during winter work more effectively than our setups during Summer in Australia.
Thanks Simon - we have been meaning to get there for a few days and yesterday we had to drive my son into the city around 04:00 pm. The sun set yesterday around 04:23. The first picture was taken about 05:11 so almost an hour after sundown. It was by chance and not design but I agree the lighting is much better than let's say a couple of hours later.

Last edited by daacon; 01-01-2008 at 12:28 PM.
01-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
I was just waiting for a picture of a red glare as the hydro cutouts let loose, or the hydro meter blew off the side of the house. I bet the neighbors just love the vehicles and crowds that this display pulls in. You just have to love the bigger is better approach.

Nice photographs (it looks like it was almost as bright as daylight - ha ha)
Thanks spyglass - I should have looked at the power meter side of the house and watched how fast it was spiining ! Chewing up killowatts big time.

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Gaudy? Maybe, but not as much as some others I've seen. It must be a corner lot and what looks like a major intersection so I don't think the neighbours would really mind. Although most probably they would get involved.

Photography is great Dave - seems you hit the exposure RIGHT-ON. Many recommend that these type of shots are taken BEFORE it gets fully dark and I think this is how you did it.
Thanks JC it was a corner lot and yes it was on the corner of one of the main north south arteries in the city 97street which is 3 lanes in each direction and 144 ave which is another north end east west main drive (two lanes each way ). I mentioned it was by chance my timing on getting there to Simon but I agree for next year I will do this about the same time an hour after sundown and make it my plan.

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Beautifull shots Dave. I just think that the decoration is... how to put it... slightly excesive
But the shots are really nice, and well executed...
Thanks axl not something I would do either - but as I mentioned it looked good.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eastern Shore Charlie Quote
Nice Christmas light Shots...beautiful colors....
Thanks Charlie - it was indeed a sight and could be seen from quite a ways away (although I don't think from space like the Great Wall )
01-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm jealous too, Dave . . . of your terrific night time exposures. I've never been able to pull shots like these off the way you have.

Happy New Year.

Jer
01-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Excellent exposures Dave. You've really done justice to the displays. They look like a lot of work to put up and NOW a lot of work to take down. I think we can all live with our inadequate displays.

Paul