Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Not good enough to print but worth a look.
Camera: K20D Photo Location: Algonquin Park, Ontario Canada 
Posted By: normhead, 02-04-2012, 09:24 AM

Just going through the files... a few picture that aren't good enough to print , but are still enjoyable images.

Sorry, not taken with a Nex or a Fuji anything really new or faddy, so not worthy of their own special section. Just my K20D . No doubt these pictures would have been print worthy if I'd only had a better camera..

Last edited by normhead; 02-04-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Views: 1,009
02-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
damn Norm you should better than to use a K20D ! These would be fine on my walls anytime.
02-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They look plenty good to print to me, Norm. The second one, with the explosive color, is especially cool.

Jer
02-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks daacon... ya, they weren't much off... but odds are, they'll never be printed..

Sailor, the scene that night was pretty incredible... I was standing there thinking.. how do I capture this. I was on an island facing north and I couldn't walk to the other side of the island without invading someone else's campsite and space, I just find the shoreline and tree un-interesting. This is one shot where maybe the K-5's extra 2 EV of Dynamic Range might have helped me out, although I was kidding above. I do like to have some detail in the shadows. To me, having an all black shoreline isn't like being there.

02-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd print these out without thinking twice (and possibly even once)
02-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks good to me Norm, #2 is a knockout.
03-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norm, I think they are closer to being right than you are willing to admit, and could possibly get tweaked to being almost there. I can see why folks like #2, but #1 is the one I want for my wall. The only reason I won't order it, is that I'll then want to purge most of my own photos which are still at the just getting started stage.

03-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

A very nice printable series in my estimation.--charliezap
03-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Norm, interesting post and I mostly agree with your assessment.

1) I love the type of sky this image captures, you captured it well. I think there is to much foreground and with a crop the image is perhaps good enough to print. ymmv
2) Unusual sky but this one doesn't really work for me and I can think of nothing to do with it. It sure is frustrating when I'm convinced that I need to over there to get the shot but it's impossible be over there.
3) I wonder how this would work as a monochrome?
4) My favorite in this group. This captures the north, I'm there and I am a northerner.

I do many lake shots and sometimes with near shore line I'm struggling with the horizon line. Straight is not straight and on some images there is an odd tension in the image that I find unsettling. I am generally pretty conscious of horizon line when shooting but still ending up crookeding some in post.

I hope this does not come across as pretentious I just hoping for some insightful comments and a chance to learn.
03-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments riff, I didn't take a lot of time to analyze them, we may yet do the last one... the others I just can't get over something, not sure what in each of them... I was being facetious about the K20D thing we've lots of printable images taken with it. These images were all on the edge of what we'd consider printing, the problem with the last one being I didn't really get the shadow detail I wanted, but we're thinking maybe it would be good print anyway. Sometimes you get so caught up in the little details you lose sight of the big picture.
03-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norm - I think riff identified the problem with the last image, and fixing the horizon should make the image seem less "odd". Right now it is off by a small amount but because the image is much darker on the right than the left, it creates an odd effect.
03-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The only reason not to print them is that some are a little noisy, but if you make a small print a lot of the noise disappears anyway. Maybe the problem is trying to make the darks brighter in post? But nice colours, great sky!