Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
VCU Basketball w/a slower telephoto
Lens: Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Telemacro Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Richmond, VA ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: WillWeaverRVA, 02-04-2012, 10:21 AM

I'm a huge fan of my VCU Rams (graduated from there in 2007), but I never got to go to a basketball game until last month. They let me in with the K-5 and my old Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6, so I decided to try to get some decent shots from the stands despite not having a much faster, more specialized lens for the job. Honestly, I'm proud of these, despite how amateurish they seem to be, and I'm going to two more games to get more!

Last edited by WillWeaverRVA; 02-04-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Views: 1,113
02-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent overall- some of these look like they were taken with a pro lens

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks! I went to a game on Saturday night and I'm planning to go to yet another one on Wednesday, so I think I'll have this whole thing figured out soon enough. I switched to a DA55-300 and have gotten much better results despite being limited to f/5.8 at 300mm.
02-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots Will.
You've definately got some keepers there. Shooting under gym lighting is tough enough with a fast lens - making these shots all the more impressive.
I think you'll like the DA 55-300. While still "not fast enough" for indoor action, I used mine at my son's high school basketball games a few years ago, and was surprised by the results.

Tim

02-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yeah, I've had some pretty nice results. I might post a second thread since I used a different lens for the game last Saturday night. The Siegel Center isn't friendly to photographers if you're in the stands, the lighting is just that bad sometimes! TAv mode is definitely my friend now.