Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first HDR's
Posted By: ronald_durst, 01-01-2008, 12:03 AM

These are my first two hdr's i did today.

Views: 1,438
01-01-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

hmmm...

that's not exactly how it's supposed to look

I suppose you know that HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. This refers to recovering (or actually acquiring) what would be burnout highlights or darks in traditional single exposure.
All the psychodelic colors and inverse shadows you got on these pics are artifacts from a bad HDR conversion. A well done HDR image should resemble the real scene, with all the dynamics your eyes can see. Try playing with the settings until you get a more pleasing look. What software are you using?

Here is a basic tutorial that can get you started: Vanilla Days : HDR Tutorial: How to create ‘High Dynamic Range’ images using Photomatix
01-01-2008, 02:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Now that is trippy indeed.
01-01-2008, 04:05 AM   #4
LED

Photos: Gallery
Too much gamma here.

01-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Ron,

While not technically what one might wish to get in a true rendition or implementation of HDR, I like the artistic spin that you put on these images (though I do think they are a tad too overexposed) and do believe it is something worth adding to your photographic repetoire.

After all, for most people, isn't photography a medium of self expression and fun?

Keep up the work!

Stephen
01-01-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Well I just have to say - I like em!
01-01-2008, 07:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

They are cartoonish and with the colors on the 2nd photo it looks great. On the first since it is a regular photo it looks like it might belong in a video game instead.

01-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #8

Original Poster
yeah

Yeah i thought about that last night. They dont look very real. Im gonna try it again. Im using ps cs2 merge to hdr by the way..
01-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I like them
01-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Hey Ron,

While not technically what one might wish to get in a true rendition or implementation of HDR, I like the artistic spin that you put on these images (though I do think they are a tad too overexposed) and do believe it is something worth adding to your photographic repetoire.

After all, for most people, isn't photography a medium of self expression and fun?

Keep up the work!

Stephen
I'm totally with Stephen on this one. I'll start by saying that these aren't really to my taste, that being said I like the second one for some reason (I think it's all the geometric patterns) and think it would be a very interesting abstract if it wasn't over-exposed.

But it's important not to limit your horizons. Some of the best art in many forms is created by those that push the limits in all sorts of directions.
01-01-2008, 10:19 AM   #11

Original Poster
yeah

I like the second on. No one reallly knows what it is. But the first one looks cartoonish. I saw on flickr that alot of people had them looking like cartoons. I think its cool that you can do that but i guess its still not hdr.

Here is the original of the second pic.

And here is the second picture again but with less gamma.

Or maybe more like this.

Maybe still wrong but i like them.

Last edited by ronald_durst; 01-01-2008 at 10:31 AM.
01-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like them too, but you're the one you have to please. I think the third one in the second series is pretty interesting. Nice colors and patterns.

NaCl(If I please me, that's all I can ask for)H2O
01-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I agree with NaCl, the third one of the second series is my choice. Great shot that (IMO anyway)
Thing is, there is only one person you have to please with your photography, that is yourself.
Sounds to me that I am just echoing others words, sorry about that!