Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Winter Wildlife (many photos)
Lens: Takumar 200mm F3.5 Preset Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Northern Colorado Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 02-04-2012, 09:37 PM

While out hiking, I had a chance to photograph some wildlife. These were shot with the Takumar 200mm F3.5 Preset.

The first wildlife for the day was a small group of juvenile Mule Deer bucks. Two had already lost their antlers

Later I saw a large group of Bull elk in the distance and started hiking towards them. As I got closer, I seen that there were a few coyotes wandering among the herd. This made the herd nervous, so I wasn't able to approach them as close as I usually do.

Later on in the day, towards sunset, I saw another herd of bull elk and I was able to get a little closer. I didn't spend much time trying to get closer, since the sun was setting and I only had a light pair of gloves on (hands were getting pretty numb trying to hold onto the camera )

This bull elk was by the side of the road as I headed home this evening

Hope you enjoyed the photos!
Views: 962
02-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CJ, not that Colorado needs it, but that snow really adds to the beauty. Love the coyote with the elk, what the heck is he thinking and the last photo of the bull elk is wonderful. Thanks for sharing your hike in the cold of this beautiful wonderland.
02-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't you hear them bugling. Really like this series and the magpies remind me I'm out west.
02-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
CJ, not that Colorado needs it, but that snow really adds to the beauty. Love the coyote with the elk, what the heck is he thinking and the last photo of the bull elk is wonderful. Thanks for sharing your hike in the cold of this beautiful wonderland.
Thanks Bob, yeah you can't beat a little snow for some great photography. We do actually need it though, it's been one of the driest winters I can remember.

02-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Can't you hear them bugling. Really like this series and the magpies remind me I'm out west.
Thanks! When you are by yourself out in the high country and hear the elk bugles echoing through the mountains, it can really send a chill down your spine. It is an awesome, lonesome sound.
02-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, These are cool awesome shots!

I've never seen so many bull elk in a group. Are they getting ready for the rut perhaps?
And coyotes and magpie hitchhikers that's great.
02-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, the rut has been over and all the bulls and cows have separated (mostly). The group in the earlier herd had around 50-60 huge bull elk in it. The coyotes scared them off and started the herd running up into the mountains. I was around 400 feet away when a whole line of them came out from the creek bank and started running after the first ones that took off (herd mentality). It was quite the sight and had me wishing I had a wide angle or at least normal lens on the camera so I could get some shots of the herd running in front of me.

I got a few shots of individuals running, but not of the whole group.

02-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Amazing captures my friend! What an amazing experience it must have been to be so close to such marvelous creatures. Colorado seems to be a truly astounding place!
Garbhán.