Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Twas the day.....
Posted By: clarenceclose, 12-24-2006, 07:25 PM

before Christmas as I play with K10. Grandma in her cap and I in my coat, went for a drive as the sun came out. (terrible rhymes ).

First one w/DA50-200 @ 200, Rest with Kit lense 18-55.

Some whites are too white. Still struggling with the snow.

C&C appreciated, and Happy Christmas Day!

Last edited by clarenceclose; 01-25-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Views: 1,503
12-24-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think you have a much more christmassy lay-out than we do here .

I like the pallette that the background gives the first shot. Because the grass stalk is so small, it almost seems like the background is the main subject in an abstract painting. Overall, it's a very nice effect that deserves some wall-space .

The second shot is very good. I was thinking there might have been a bit much in the way of foreground but the shadow of the tree keeps the interest going. I also like how you've also managed to keep details in both the highlights and shadows.

Overall, excellent shots and it looks like a great day to have been out!
12-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots Clarence. I like the bokeh in the first and the shadows on the snow in the second and the last one. It's been in the 50's here all week. Nice on the heating oil bill but not terribly good for snow. I used to live in the Adirondaks of nothern NY, and I miss my white Christmases. Thank you for the reminder.

NaCl(we never worried about a white Christmas, white 4th of July was a drag however)H2O
12-25-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice shots! Bokeh and overall colors of the first one definily have my first personal choice, but overall, what a gorgeous scenery you have there Clarence!

Regards,
D

12-25-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you all for your kind comments.

I have to share with you that sometimes a photo comes upon me when I am trying for something else. Such it is with the grass and the find bokeh background.

I was tracking a duck on a pond, full autofocus on the 50-200 lense, wide open when all of a sudden zzzwwiiiiik the lense backs up to the grass blade that crossed one of the AF sensors. I saw something I really liked so took the shot.

Has anyone else had similar experiences, accidentally coming on something that turned out to be better than the original planned shot?
12-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great shots of snowscape

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote

Has anyone else had similar experiences, accidentally coming on something that turned out to be better than the original planned shot?
I saw your shots last night and your shots always have good framing and compo. The work computer shut down yesterday and hospital had a power failure. So I realised how "crippled" I was in this modern age without technololgy... It was in deed a silent night (not so silent from hospital emergency and wards though)

Regarding images coming out better than originally planned, that happened to me frequently and I wished that happened all the time. I think I get more dissappointment with photos not turning out great far too often.

Because of this, I tend snap away and worry about it later.

The luxury of owning a DSLR. hehe

It is boxing day here for me but merry christmas to you
12-25-2006, 04:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
James, tell us of the tradition of Boxing Day please.

12-25-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Errrrrr.... Test cricket match? Box the presents up from Christmas day?

No ideas really. But I finally can rest at home today. I have worked 156 hours last forenight...
12-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Opening alms boxes in churches or st stephens day (I just did a quick google search)