Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Living in the Rocky Mountains
Camera: Pentax P70 p/s Photo Location: Colorado 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 02-07-2012, 01:02 PM

Here are a couple of photos taken by granddaughter with the Pentax camera we gave her of the recent snowstorm at their home in the Rockies above Larkspur, CO. That is our son in law Tony, clearing a path from the front door. My daughter emailed us today that they got another 2 inches of snow earlier today. Good luck family, see you in June.

Attached Images

Views: 1,700
02-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whoa! That's a lot of snow Bob! On the plus side. It's good to see the road is still relatively usable...
02-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That was us last year this year not so much - but man oh man I don't miss that and I am certain you don't either.
02-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Whoa! That's a lot of snow Bob! On the plus side. It's good to see the road is still relatively usable...
Remco, they live at the 8600' mark and the little development has it own grader to keep the dirt road cleared. Now all they had to do was get to the road, snowdrifts were up to six feet near the house, I love the desert.

02-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
That was us last year this year not so much - but man oh man I don't miss that and I am certain you don't either.
funny thing here Dave, is Tony is a heavy equipment and his tractor is sitting in the lot in the Denver area, so he was clearing the snow the old fashioned way.
02-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

That first shot Bob is a mind blower. My snowblower has cobwebs on it this year.Haven't used it yet.--charliezap
02-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My snowblower has had quite a bit of use this year, but right now it's just waiting. We're in a snow lull - the district used their UniMog to clean off the sidewalks yesterday. I don't hold much hope that the blower will just sit until May. We have a couple of almost true sayings, here. "We only have two seasons - Winter and July" Sometimes we don't get July either. "We have two seasons - Winter and poor sledding". They are sometimes mixed up though so we get a bit of one and then the other and then ...

02-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Boy - what a contrast; I mowed the lawn yesterday - with my hot rod mower.

Jer
02-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
That first shot Bob is a mind blower. My snowblower has cobwebs on it this year.Haven't used it yet.--charliezap
Charlie, from what I understand Colorado is in a drought, so this should help somewhat. I sure wouldn't want to put up with snow like this, that is why I stay in the desert during the winter.
02-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My snowblower has had quite a bit of use this year, but right now it's just waiting. We're in a snow lull - the district used their UniMog to clean off the sidewalks yesterday. I don't hold much hope that the blower will just sit until May. We have a couple of almost true sayings, here. "We only have two seasons - Winter and July" Sometimes we don't get July either. "We have two seasons - Winter and poor sledding". They are sometimes mixed up though so we get a bit of one and then the other and then ...
I like the "sayings" you have there, the Rockies are so beautiful, I just couldn't live there all year long, love the summers though. Thanks for looking.
02-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Boy - what a contrast; I mowed the lawn yesterday - with my hot rod mower.

Jer
Jer, I would certainly like mowing the grass rather than standing waste deep in snow. Hope you are keeping that hot rod mower cleaned and waxed, that is a beauty for sure.
02-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

What do they do with all that snow? It has to go somewhere when it melts. Amazing to see so much.
02-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
What do they do with all that snow? It has to go somewhere when it melts. Amazing to see so much.
It goes down the creeks and rivers to water famer's fields. At very high altitudes, the snow stays all year, gradually melting. There is no time in the year when I cannot see snow from my house, and I'm only at 4,000 feet (2,500 m) with the surrounding mountains topping out at about 7,000 feet (4,400 m). The snow areas shrink over the summer as they feed the fields.

Sparwood is within 30 air miles of the point at which Montana, Alberta and British Columbia meet, 10 road miles (16 Km) from the Alberta border, which is the Continental Divide (Great Divide). The divide is actually within 5 km, but the roads don't go over mountains, they go around them.
02-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
It goes down the creeks and rivers to water famer's fields. At very high altitudes, the snow stays all year, gradually melting. There is no time in the year when I cannot see snow from my house, and I'm only at 4,000 feet (2,500 m) with the surrounding mountains topping out at about 7,000 feet (4,400 m). The snow areas shrink over the summer as they feed the fields.

Sparwood is within 30 air miles of the point at which Montana, Alberta and British Columbia meet, 10 road miles (16 Km) from the Alberta border, which is the Continental Divide (Great Divide). The divide is actually within 5 km, but the roads don't go over mountains, they go around them.
Susan, like CR said it melts off and sinks in fairly quickly actually. A lot of the snow melt goes down the dirt road carving large grooves, so the grader stays busy keeping the road open. When we visited during last summer, the road going up is a little treacherous on a good day, so they have to be very cautious when traveling the road down to the flat lands. That is about a 7 mile winding, switchback trek. They like to be out of the city, but this can be crazy up there.