Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Let it snow, Let it Snow, Let it F'ing snow
Posted By: Peter Zack, 01-01-2008, 09:36 PM

We're on our 7th snowfall of the season. Got 34 Cms last night (13 inches) and we're due for another 35-40 Cms tonight. The driveway is already a tunnel. the front yard is waist deep and it's still the 1st of January!! Only 3 months to go. So after 3 hours of cleaning up today, I got out just before sunset to take a couple of shots. Had to use the tripod since I can't lift my arms.

All shot with the 70-210 F SMC 4-5.6

This is overlooking the Northumberland Strait Nova Scotia is about 14 Kms (9 miles) distant. Things are starting to ice up and before the spring thaw there will be 1-2 meters of ice here.
The sound at spring breakup is awesome.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  48.6 KB

Lonely old abandoned house. Loved the pastel light of the sky. Winter is great for that.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  33.8 KB

The snow bank that has almost buried half of this apple tree was about 2 meters deep. The weathers been cold and the snow is light and fluffy so even the snowshoes are a challenge to walk very far with.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  35.1 KB

Views: 5,429
01-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots Peter...but do i detect just a hint of 'cabin fever' ....and think of all the good that shovelling is doing you.

Should I mention its 26C here, but a bit windy
01-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
So beautiful

Thank you, Peter, for sharing your winter scenes. I think the stark loneliness of the apple tree is splendid. It must take a lot of patience to endure that kind of weather.
Respectfully, Anne
01-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Super images Peter. The color in all of them is excellent and composition pleasing.
Now, just think what great shape you'll be in with all that shoveling.

01-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Your composition is always well planned and presented. The colour is beautiful in the first and the last shot. All carried the sense of peace and grace.

A wonderful season and I am calm after seeing your images of the day before driving home. You might save me from having car accidents!
01-02-2008, 05:43 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Very nice Peter. I like the colours in the last two and the mood they convey.
01-02-2008, 06:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Peter, you are a TRUE photographer indeed. Only a true photographer would trudge thru the snow and elenebts to take shots like these - somewhat like Walter standing out there in the "Doghouse" to give us those beautiful bird shots.

The colours, especially on the first shot are quite soothing and really misrepresent the awfull time you're having in the Maritimes with all the snow.

On the other hand, I've demoted myself to just an onlooker when it comes to p'graphy, I've done absolutely no work this year.
01-02-2008, 06:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Beautiful work....and great looking scenes, especially since one doesn't feel the chill which accompanied them in person.

01-02-2008, 06:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Great stuff Peter. I here you on the let it F'ing snow Your front yard sounds like mine. Not as much but close. Great job with these shot. Really like #1.
01-02-2008, 06:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You are a better man than I, Gunga Din.

I never would have gotten out in that stuff. No matter what sort of pretty pictures were to be had. I hate snow like you wouldn't believe.

Sometimes people take it sort of personally when I tell them I hate snow. But then I remind them I have to drive a truck on the stuff and ask how they'd like it if I came to their workplace and poured salad oil over all the floors. That generally makes my point.
01-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots Peter ! I am not sure what are better the shots (love them all but the Northumberland Strait shot brings back memories of the ferry to PEI) or the fact you managed to take these shots without riding a Clydesdale ! Very little snow here - and it has not been that cold lately - at least the snow you have is moisture free - having to shovel that much 'Heart Attack' snow well... that is why we have kids ! Nice series.
01-02-2008, 08:29 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the comments. I think tomorrow will be an even more interesting day if I can find some time. I think I've missed 3 days work over the last 2 weeks. We got the forecast 30+ Cms last night and it's still coming down. Tonight it's forecast for 90-100 Km winds. Wild winder this year so far. Even for all the grumbling (it's a national sport) I don't think most of us would have it any other way. The seasons give us 4 distinct canvas's to go shooting with. As Duplo has so clearly shown, the light in winter is very different than the rest of the year.

Mike I do hear you about the driving. I cover 110,000-125,000 Kms for work each year and it can be a challenge some winters. The trucks are my best buddy in a snowstorm. I just tuck in behind one or two of them and let them plow the route home.
01-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
that is why we have kids
Keep repeating that and it might turn out to be true. Just might, mind you.
01-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
axl
Inactive Account

Cool shots. Wouldn't mind having bit of a snowy winter here in London....
01-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Beautiful well composed pictures Peter. I especially like 2 and 3. The colours have an amazing quality. There's a real feel of harmony and tranquility in 2 and I like the way the light plays on the snow in 3. The solitary, half buried apple tree sets off the whole scene.

Paul