Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Extension Tubes for Christmas
Posted By: travis_cooper, 01-02-2008, 03:12 PM

I just got some extension tubes for Christmas. It was totally unexpected so it was nice to see when I opened up the box. I have wanted a set for a long time as a cheaper alternative to macro photography. This way I can decide if I really like macros before spending all the money on new lenses. I haven't really got out of the house to use them yet, but I took a few shots at home. I will be searching the forums for macro advice and tips, but any quick ideas you might have right now would be nice to see as well.

Baby Jesus

My wife's eye

I know I still have a lot to learn and a lot more playing to do, but what do you guys think of these shots so far? Thanks for looking.
Views: 1,406
01-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats Travis while I have not used any I have seen some pretty neat shots (dan had one os some salt cystals that was pretty impressive )

As for yours that "eye" is pretty impressive a little soft and a some glare in the top - but for distance WOW that is close.
01-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice i bought some just recently, but i am having trouble seeiing through the viewfinder... its too dark..?
01-05-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A nice gift indeed Travis. You'll have alot of fun with them. The best thing you can do is to get some form of bellow to control the focusing. You can usually find them cheap on ebay...just make sure you get one with the K mount if your using newer lenses as the old Pentax ones are m42 screw mount.

Edit: oops, wasnt thinking when i posted..replace 'bellow' with a macro rail system to aid in focusing.

Last edited by Kaimarx; 01-05-2008 at 03:18 PM.
01-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
nice i bought some just recently, but i am having trouble seeiing through the viewfinder... its too dark..?
I use fotodiox tubes, that don't transmit aperture lever movement, so i'm limited to using lenses with aperture ring for the very same reason - can't see anything through viewfinder with the kit lens (aperture stopped down completely)
But I still love the results with my manual lenses
01-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't had any problems with it being too dark yet. I have only used them on my FA 50mm 1.4 lens. They have been fun so far, I do see the need to getting a rail kit eventually so I can use my tripod and adjust the camera rather than moving the whole tripod to get shots. Can't wait to get more use out of them.
01-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #7

Travis
How long is the extention tube you used and what lens and settings are you using.
I have tried to use an extention tube on Pentax 18-55mm zoom on my K10D with no sucess.
All I'm able to view through the viewfinder even with bright light is a view similar to a fine messed "honey comb". Can's think of any other way to explain it.
Perhaps a sample will be warrented.

Bill

01-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I used all three in my set stacked together, I believe they are 12mm, 20mm, and 36mm, or something close to that. I have mostly tried them on my FA 50mm 1.4. I recently tried to put them on my kit lens, but at 18mm I can't get close enough to get in focus, I run into the object before it comes in focus, but on the 55mm end it works just fine. I was confused at first too when I first looked through the lens, you have to get really close, depending on how much extension you are using, before anything gets in focus, I mean within inches of the object. This is the biggest disadvantage, IMO, from having an actual macro, you don't have a very big range of how close/far you can be, if you want to change it you have to remove, or add tubes.
01-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #9

Thanks Travis

I'm waiting for the delivery of a 50mm f2 and hope this will give me better results.
01-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Interesting shots, Travis. I only thought about extension tubes for macro shots after I purchased a Sigma 105mm Macro lens. I wonder if there would be anything to be gained bu picking up a set?

--
Al
01-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have the manual tubes, the aperture will be at whatever you set it at. The view will never be as bright as without the tubes, obviously, but try opening the aperture up to focus, and then stop down just before shooting.
01-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
Interesting shots, Travis. I only thought about extension tubes for macro shots after I purchased a Sigma 105mm Macro lens. I wonder if there would be anything to be gained bu picking up a set?

--
Al
Sure. For example using a set with my 50 f/1.7 gives me a minimum focusing distance for about 1 inch, down from about 18 or so. There is also a decent increase in magnification, I just don't know exactly how much.
01-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Sure. For example using a set with my 50 f/1.7 gives me a minimum focusing distance for about 1 inch, down from about 18 or so. There is also a decent increase in magnification, I just don't know exactly how much.
I'm not sure if it would be worth getting them or not, I would play with what you have first. The reason I went the extension tube route is because I didn't want to spend hundreds on a lens just to find out I hate macro. If I start enjoying macro I will definitely pick up a macro lens(es) too, but for now I am just trying out macro to see if it is fun. I have enjoyed it so far, and the increased magnification with the tubes is nice. Anyway, I would suggest that you see what you can get out of your lens, then decide if you are missing something and go from there.
01-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

As I understand it right now, and I might be wrong (still trying to get it confirmed from someone), if that 105mm gives you a 1:1 already, a set of 68mm tubes will give you about 1.7:1 at a closer focus distance.