Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Bit of frozen waterfall.
Lens: Pentax A Series Camera: K20D Photo Location: Wisconsin 
Posted By: PPPPPP42, 02-12-2012, 08:30 PM

These are a few of the keepers from my playing around on a partially frozen waterfall. I should have posted a pic of the whole series of falls, maybe later. Have to be rather agile to get around this mess is all ice, loose rock and slimy growing stuff. Don't have the camera remote yet so I had to do the button by hand which tanked a good 2/3's of the pictures since with the poor lighting I was sitting on F22 most of the day and using real long times (as was the goal for the water effects). Maybe after enough of these practice runs I will learn how to take pictures properly. I did fiddle with these a bit in PP because they were all too dark otherwise, so if they look funny its my fault. I also learned for the second day in a row that even light splatter instantly freezes to the lens and doesn't show up in the viewfinder thus totaling out yet more pictures before you notice it and change lenses. I keep losing my main lens for the rest of the day that way. Mostly Pentax A 35-105mm F3.5

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Views: 860
02-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I especially like the last one and look forward to seeing more of the series.
02-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Most everything is fairly dull looking, just a lot of fancy ice and moving water, no real focus or even a splash of color like the last one (which was underwater completely the second time I was there). It will be a week or so before my remote shows up and I go back with it in shadow to try longer exposures again, I will probably go back when its sunny though and see what I can do with the ice in the sun.
Here is a more general picture of the area, about 1/3 of the falls are cut off down frame (everything in the 1st and 2nd pic). I'm happy to have this state park to take pictures just a few miles from my house.

EDIT: I also just noticed I accidentally bumped my white balance from auto to shade at some point while in the Fn menu, thus explaining a lot of the problems I was having with lighting. I can't win.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 02-13-2012 at 10:09 AM.