Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
"The Can Man"
Lens: Sigma 85mm 1.4 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Omaha, Nebraska ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F1.4 
Posted By: outsider, 02-13-2012, 10:11 PM

Johnny, AKA "The Can Man" isn't Homeless, but he spends several hours a day, 365 days a year (weather permitting), collecting aluminum cans anywhere he can find them. He can make up to $200 a week. He uses an old shopping cart most of the time. I've seen him while heading downtown on my bike. His cart can be piled 6 feet high. He has routes he takes that have produced the highest payout. "I gotta be careful on these streets because sometimes people try to follow me and steal my cans, take what I have". Johnny is a spiritual, peace loving guy, keeps to himself, but if he can trust you, he's got a lot of good things to say. I don't think I've met anyone like him and I always look forward to seeing him around. He was hesitant at first about having his photo taken for fear of what people would think if they knew what he did for a living. Well we all sell Cans in one form or another

Views: 963
02-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A nice picture and a great story. I love celebrating people who persevere in strange ways and manage to live peacefully. Being picky but I think it could have used a little more DOF to get his nose sharper. But that's just me. Wonderful colours and real dignity make a beautiful mix. I covet your lens!
02-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jessesdad Quote
A nice picture and a great story. I love celebrating people who persevere in strange ways and manage to live peacefully. Being picky but I think it could have used a little more DOF to get his nose sharper. But that's just me. Wonderful colours and real dignity make a beautiful mix. I covet your lens!
Thanks for the advice. When it's dark out or cloudy as was today, I almost always set the lens to F 1.4, between ISO 200 and 800. The wide aperture gives me enough shutter speed to get an image captured between 1/40 and 1/150 without motion blur, since I shoot handheld. I sacrifice the DOF for an image that is relatively sharp. The lowest possible ISO also gives an image which is clean and not comprimised by noise, which can affect dynamic range. This is the beauty of the Sigma 85mm 1.4. It allows the camera to operate most efficiently, given the limitations of it's sensor. Also, the eyes are most times the center of my portraits, which is why I like to shoot in the wide aperture. On a clear day, I have more flexibility and have the freedom to choose a smaller aperture to have a sharper, more contrasy image.
02-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I am hardly qualified to offer you advice. I always enjoy your pics and your shooting style really appeals. That lens is superb but you use it well. I enjoy all the unadorned faces (piercings but not too much make-up) you shoot and the way you so often manage to have them looking natural - even nuetral - rather than 'posed'. The K-x is a great piece of equipment for low-light shots but there are always compromises. The clarity of lower ISOs means you gotta do what you gotta do shutter-wise. Anyway, keep it up. I'm enjoying it.

Do you give prints or email files to any of your subjects?

02-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Great shot and an even better story. God bless him and I hope he finds a can full of gold under the end of a rainbow.
Regards!
02-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Great story and picture-A true slice of Americana in my opinion.--charliezap
02-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Amazing capture! The story behind the man himself really adds a lot. To my eye there is a lot of wisdom and sadness in his eyes. He looks like a mightily interesting character and a beautiful soul. Love this!

02-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great story and equally strong image.
Nice work!
02-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Den
Veteran Member

Caught a great expression. Kept me looking for awhile.
02-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great expression captured here. The lighting was perfect. Thanks for sharing his story.
02-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #11

Superb image...
02-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jessesdad Quote
I am hardly qualified to offer you advice. I always enjoy your pics and your shooting style really appeals. That lens is superb but you use it well. I enjoy all the unadorned faces (piercings but not too much make-up) you shoot and the way you so often manage to have them looking natural - even nuetral - rather than 'posed'. The K-x is a great piece of equipment for low-light shots but there are always compromises. The clarity of lower ISOs means you gotta do what you gotta do shutter-wise. Anyway, keep it up. I'm enjoying it.

Do you give prints or email files to any of your subjects?
There have been a few occasions where i've volunteered to mail a few prints to some people. The last being a Grandfather with his two infant twin Grand Daughters. They usually end up downloading the low quality version from the facebook page: Atiim Jones Photography. It's always nice to know you've captured something so meaningful that they want a print
02-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #13

Excellent photo! Being an old small farm kid from central Illinois I just can't imagine walking up to someone on the street and taking their photo. The only thing I was disappointed in with this shot was that there was only one. I always enjoy your people shots. You would not only have to have the ability to take the good shot, but have the ability to work with the people so they would allow you to do it. Looking forward to your next ones.
Arvin