Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Manta Rays viewed from the landscape lens ....
Lens: DA* 16-50 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Play Portrero, Costa Rica 
Posted By: daacon, 02-14-2012, 02:11 PM

While the text is the same as the sister forum - these are indeed different pictures.

So one day we took a boat out to go deep sea fishing. Originally I was going to bring my camera bag which had the DA 55-330 and the ever sharp DA* 50-135. After I saw all the dry bags come out I thought better of this and just took the K5 with DA* 16-50 strapped on. That fit nicely wrapped in a towel and in the dry bag. Figured I would need a wide angle for the boat

It never occurred to me we would see this. I'll bet we saw more than 100 manta rays , and scores of them flying out of the water. I am not sure why they do this one site suggests :

Mantas may leap completely out of the water for a variety of reasons. They may do it to escape a potential predator or to rid themselves of skin parasites. Or they may leap to communicate to others of their own species — the great, crashing splash of their re-entries can often be heard from miles (kilometres) away. It's anyone's guess what they may be trying to communicate. Leaping male Mantas may be demonstrating their fitness as part of a courtship display. Since these leaps are highly energetic and often repeated several times in succession, they may simply represent a form of play.

Regardless of the reason, I sure wish I had a longer lens however I will share what I have. It is something I will never forget.

These are already cropped pretty heavily.

Thank gawd for 16mp at least

Last edited by daacon; 02-14-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Views: 1,625
02-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At they distance, those look a lot like birds! Very cool

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've seen flying fish and whales over water like that, but never manta rays.
Very nice images even with the crop.
Good deal.
Thanks for sharing.
02-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even as crop, those are pretty detailed shots. You definitely made the most of what you have!

02-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That is so cool. I never knew they did that and even though you didn't have the "right" lens you came up with some great shots.
02-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome shots there Dave, never seen that before. That water is so blue and beautiful. What a wonderful trip you had, doesn't sound like you sat around on your butt too much.
02-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Wow, they were getting some serious air! Very cool, never heard of such a thing... Oh, and the photos are great too, natcherly

Jim

02-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Very "AQUA"batic!!!There definately showing up there dolphin matesWonderful capturing!!
02-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
At they distance, those look a lot like birds! Very cool
Thanks Adam it was quite a site to witness.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
I've seen flying fish and whales over water like that, but never manta rays.
Very nice images even with the crop.
Good deal.
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Jools - first time for me as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Even as crop, those are pretty detailed shots. You definitely made the most of what you have!
I was stunned really I should have used Video , I was so excited trying to capture them in flight I forgot !

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
That is so cool. I never knew they did that and even though you didn't have the "right" lens you came up with some great shots.
Thanks Susan - the camera and lens get most of the credit - P mode and fire away.
02-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Awesome shots there Dave, never seen that before. That water is so blue and beautiful. What a wonderful trip you had, doesn't sound like you sat around on your butt too much.
Thanks Bob , the tropical waters are blue for sure. And we tried to make the most of it, 15 days total (less 2 for travel) , goes by so quick , but there is so much more to do , hopefully we be back.

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Wow, they were getting some serious air! Very cool, never heard of such a thing... Oh, and the photos are great too, natcherly
Jim
Thanks Jim , from a little research it seems we don't know a lot about these creatures , but they sure are cool.

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
Very "AQUA"batic!!!There definately showing up there dolphin matesWonderful capturing!!
There were 3 Dolphins there as well - I got one semi decent shot I'll post later. While the fishing was not good , it was a very successful boat ride.
02-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have only even seen these beasts from a helicopter on the Great Barrier Reef. The only pics I could get were just a black dot. I never knew they could leap out of the water. Tremendous shots.
02-15-2012, 05:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I have only even seen these beasts from a helicopter on the Great Barrier Reef. The only pics I could get were just a black dot. I never knew they could leap out of the water. Tremendous shots.
Thanks Bruce it was very cool I had no idea either , but for whatever reason they do it, just glad I was there that partcular day to witness it.
02-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I thought Mobula rays were the ones that jumped? They do look similar. Either way that's very cool! Would prefer to be in the water with them though
02-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Nice Photshopping Dave and Pigs can fly too!! [just kididng bud] So cool and the 55-300 would work great on these shots. What a trip! JIM
02-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Daacon, this is interesting and educational! I never knew rays jump too. Not that we'd have them over here anyway.