Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Charliezap--A trip back in time-how it all started.
Camera: Kodak Pony Photo Location: Lynn Ma. 
Posted By: charliezap, 02-17-2012, 07:39 PM

The year was somewhere around 1960 and I took this shot of my grandmother on slide film using a Weston light meter with a borrowed Kodak Pony 35mm camera.I think that I was 15-16 at the time.It got me first place in my age group even though I cut off her foot the judges liked it irregardless and I got a years membership in the "Greater Lynn Camera Club"Fast forward to today.Down in the basement I found a stash of "hundreds of slides" from many years ago and my fairly new Canon printer can scan slides and negatives.Needless to say I'm scanning many of these before I leave for Florida next weekend and I will be posting them in drips and drabs between now and then and beyond.Until later with some more from the time capsule.--charliezap
Name:  babcha-1.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  78.5 KB

Views: 1,497
02-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CZ:

This is a nice image. Too bad you cut off her foot, you were young and dumb about composition then! The mood and lighting are absolutely wonderful! With age the image seems to have gotten warm. Can you adjust this some?

thanks for sharing!

Regards,

DA
02-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Charlie, you found a real treasure chest. It will be interesting to see what you find as you search through the loot. I like this photo as is, reminds me so much of my old family album photos.
02-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
CZ:

This is a nice image. Too bad you cut off her foot, you were young and dumb about composition then! The mood and lighting are absolutely wonderful! With age the image seems to have gotten warm. Can you adjust this some?

thanks for sharing!

Regards,

DA
I think in those days Dave that sometimes the picture came out different than what was scene in the view finder.--charliezap

02-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I think in those days Dave that sometimes the picture came out different than what was scene in the view finder.--charliezap

Nothing changed then....
Great shot, love it! Try a b&w conversion once you scanned all....
02-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Nothing changed then....
Great shot, love it! Try a b&w conversion once you scanned all....
There probably won't be many that I'll convert to B&W Rense but this one may do well with the B&W look.---charliezap
Name:  bw conversion.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  76.5 KB
02-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love this picture Charlie and can't wait to see some more. This one is such a treasure to have for you and your family.

02-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lovely!
02-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Love this picture Charlie and can't wait to see some more. This one is such a treasure to have for you and your family.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Lovely!
Photography doesn't have to be contemporary. It has longevity and roots and sometimes the pictures don't have to be technically perfect to convey a feeling of an era.I'm going to call my "find" -- "Charliezap's Time Capsule". The subject matter will cover a gamut of many happenings from mostly the 60's and 70's that include people-places--news events-family and maybe a politically incorrect photo or two according to todays standards and thinking.In a few moments I'll start the new thread with a couple of pics from the "Time Capsule" that I have scanned and as time goes on I will be adding more when I finally get them downloaded.I have 100's that will have to be culled but time is on my side and hopefully it will be a presentation that people can enjoy. And for you old timers most of the pictures were taken with a Miranda Sensorex 35mm slr.--charliezap
02-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Shots like this always amaze me..... we are always striving for crystal clear sharpness, perfect brilliant color, and an excellent composition, including all body parts.........yet, here we are with a superb photo that is lacking in all of those features. Maybe we need to get back to what really makes a great photo? It's not a $2-10K camera and a $5k lens, is it?

Regards!
02-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Memories preserved excellent.
02-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a very nice image charlie, works especially good in B/W BUT,

it just reminded me that I have to get my butt in gear and start scanning again. I have all my negatives and slides from 1948 on. A number of years ago we spent considerable time to catalog the whole lot so there is really no excuse but................

Last edited by Heinrich Lohmann; 02-18-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling
02-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

poignant and nostalgic pic charlie...brings back memories of my beloved grandma... lived to be 98! dave m
02-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Shots like this always amaze me..... we are always striving for crystal clear sharpness, perfect brilliant color, and an excellent composition, including all body parts.........yet, here we are with a superb photo that is lacking in all of those features. Maybe we need to get back to what really makes a great photo? It's not a $2-10K camera and a $5k lens, is it?

Regards!
We all like our photos to be a "10" but sometimes the oldies are true goodies Dave.--charliezap
02-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A poignant portrait, Capn. Very impressive and a privilege to see.

Jer