Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Too late?
Posted By: Tom Lusk, 01-04-2008, 09:04 AM

Is it too late to change my wildlife photo entry?

I called this fellow up to within 5 feet of my blind this morning. What a beauty!

This is full frame. Some of the shots were actually too close for focussing with my 300.
Views: 2,617
01-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Great Shot and it would have gotten my vote.

A fox is a beautiful animal. People rarely get good photographs. The snow just makes it so much better.

01-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
100% crop for db

My calling was good enough that he ignored the noisy shutter on my K100, I guess.

JC- I use a predator call- looks almost identical to a duck call, although you "play" it differently. I use the back of my hand for close in work, but this fox was approx. 400 yards away when I spotted him and the call carries that distance easily. The predator call can imitate a screaming rabbit very well. Once a fox or coyote locks on the sound, they are oblivious to everything else.

Chris- I actually spotted the fox out on the river and snuck into my blind beside the house before calling. Total time in the cold less than 10 minutes. Besides, whenever I get TOO cold, I just think of some of your models and the shivers magically disappear.

Salty- it hasn't gotten below -25 here yet, so I haven't needed to get out the real cold weather clothes. I used to ice-fish in the open in -40 temperatures with 40mph+ winds. That's cold! (I know, that's also crazy. I have a portable shack now.) Getting soft...
01-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Like them both..

Great shots Tom...

I really like the Crop... that fox sure does look intent...

That call you use sounds pretty neat... It definatley paid off to get this little fella!!

Thanks for sharin.. Kim
01-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WOW!!! Fantastic shot - and love the detail in the crop!! I think I'll just remove my picture from the contest!!

01-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Fantastic shot Tom! Your wildlife shots are amazing and make me wish I had the patience to try a blind.
01-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #21
Veteran Member

waffler!

Tom,

I cannot believe that you're vacillating again...

You clearly stated in this post "I think I like summer better..." :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/17591-i-think-i-like-summer-better.html

You complained about not having the nice BG color in winter - well what about the clarity and excellent subject colors in this beautiful fox photo!!!??? It would've been lost in the colors of summer... I rest my case....

This is a real keeper Tom - no question there!

Cheers,
Marc
01-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #22
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

What more to say??

Well since all the superlatives have been used I had to refer to my Thesaurus. Here's what's left,
Meritorious Def (Websters) 15th century: deserving of honour or esteem. Attachment 7309

A great image and cool how you attract them to to get a shot that close.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 02-18-2008 at 09:33 AM.
01-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I use a predator call- looks almost identical to a duck call, although you "play" it differently. I use the back of my hand for close in work, but this fox was approx. 400 yards away when I spotted him and the call carries that distance easily. The predator call can imitate a screaming rabbit very well. Once a fox or coyote locks on the sound, they are oblivious to everything else.
Thanks for the info. Being a city boi it never enters my mind how such things can be done. Although I am aware of duck callers and sound reproduction for bird trapping I never knew there existed predator callers.

Thanks for the lesson. I'll add that to the doghouse lesson.
01-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #24

great shot !